Playing With Fewer Than 14 Clubs

Bernoulli

Team Hackers 4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Even though the rules allow for 14 clubs, does anyone regularly play with fewer than 14 clubs? For the past few years, I have played with anywhere from 9-11 clubs. Part of the reason is because I like to walk and carry my own bag. Another reason is that it forces me to hit half shots or to choke down and swing easier. I have found that my game has not suffered.

My typical make up is a driver, heavenwood, a hybrid, 3 irons, two wedges and a putter. For some rounds, I will add a fairway wood and another wedge

Pulled my hybrid and playing with 13 pretty much all the time now. Not any gap I need to plug, toyed with throwing in a second putter.

i’m basically doing this right now. i have a 3w but i don’t use it. and i sent my 58 off recently, and hadn’t used it in awhile. i honestly haven’t missed either club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could reasonably play with ~1/2 a bag. The three or four club challenge would be a lot of fun too.

I only play with 12 and I really could play with 11. Just the way my gaps work out.

KY Golfer;n8884652 said:
I only play with 12 and I really could play with 11. Just the way my gaps work out.

This is me too, although I'm looking at some new fairway metals for the long par 5's. Other than not having anything over 220 from the fairway I haven't missed anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I walk and carry, I will try to leave a couple out to lighten the bag a bit. Usually pushing though so no reason to not have a full compliment in the bag.

I have 13; I can get creative with my wedge so I don't need an extra one. I'd add a two iron if I had to be at 14.

Bernoulli;n8884402 said:
Even though the rules allow for 14 clubs, does anyone regularly play with fewer than 14 clubs? For the past few years, I have played with anywhere from 9-11 clubs. Part of the reason is because I like to walk and carry my own bag. Another reason is that it forces me to hit half shots or to choke down and swing easier. I have found that my game has not suffered.

My typical make up is a driver, heavenwood, a hybrid, 3 irons, two wedges and a putter. For some rounds, I will add a fairway wood and another wedge

When I carry my bag, yes,the number of clubs becomes 7 or 8.. Scoring is mostly the same as with a full bag of 14.

Ive never done this but I’m betting it would really improve ball striking and help get really good at those half or 3/4 shots

There are a couple clubs in my bag that I rarely will use. Should I just replace them with more wedges? Probably, but I am stubborn to have a normal full set in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one local course that I can do this on and only really need maybe 11 clubs. I do like being able to play different clubs in different ways but prefer to play course that will make me use every club in the bag.

zbeekner4;n8884742 said:
Ive never done this but I’m betting it would really improve ball striking and help get really good at those half or 3/4 shots

You would win that bet.

I love a 4 club challenge, they're always really good fun. Versatility is the name of the game for me in that scenario, so single or limited use clubs don't get a look in.

Back