The next step in technology

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
So we have seen the introduction of various types of tech across the years

Movable weights, adjustable hosels, jailbreak from Callaway and now the AI designed face just as a few examples

Where do people think the next step forward could be in terms of the use of technology to help the average golfer?

More companies using AI to develop hotter faces, new materials to increase speed and push the limits

Only thing I can really think of without any coffee yet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i'd like to see golf balls with built-in data capturing.

also an advancement in more affordable yet still accurate and portable personal launch monitors

More IOT - clubs, balls, grips, sensors will continue to get smart and manufacturers will continue to collect more data and utilize the power of cloud computing to analyze this data, brining us better and frankly more customized equipment.

Gps tracked golf balls, so those ones that should be found can be found

greekelite;n8884938 said:
Gps tracked golf balls, so those ones that should be found can be found

Would you be willing to charge your golf balls? Power is the stumbling block to getting gps in golf balls. But would be a really nice to know when that ball the you hit perfectly, watch it roll over a hill and never seen again.

Irons will continue to get better as they start to find better combinations of metals.

gonyr;n8884952 said:
Oncore has something they call the genius ball that is supposed to do this. I think it's finally going to be available next spring.

I struggle with the Genius ball. They ran it on Kickstarter and took a bunch of money in. 2+ years later, they still haven't delivered a single product. Back in January, they told us personally it was coming and still nothing.
Yet they continue to restock current products, take in more financing, etc. So where is the ball?

Probably not the answer you're looking for as it's not related to equipment and definitely not something to help the average golfer, but my wife and I (she's a web developer) have been toying around with an app idea for live leaderboards. It's very niche but it would make scrambles, charity events, golf trips with big groups, and (most importantly) THP Events really easy to monitor and update as they are going on. We're still in the brainstorming stages (Birdie/Eagle Alerts! New Leader Has Emerged!) but it's been pretty fun to think about how we could coordinate it since she has to learn how to do all this stuff for work anyway.

I see golf tech moving in this direction. More and quicker information right to the golfer. From stat tracking to swing evaluation to (with our idea) in-game monitoring.

KingVeo;n8885011 said:
Probably not the answer you're looking for as it's not related to equipment and definitely not something to help the average golfer, but my wife and I (she's a web developer) have been toying around with an app idea for live leaderboards. It's very niche but it would make scrambles, charity events, golf trips with big groups, and (most importantly) THP Events really easy to monitor and update as they are going on. We're still in the brainstorming stages (Birdie/Eagle Alerts! New Leader Has Emerged!) but it's been pretty fun to think about how we could coordinate it since she has to learn how to do all this stuff for work anyway.

I see golf tech moving in this direction. More and quicker information right to the golfer. From stat tracking to swing evaluation to (with our idea) in-game monitoring.

It is still golf-related, and I didn't specify it had to be equipment

The GPS idea might be great for ball fittings but to use it to locate lost balls on a course. Really ? Are we that hard up losing a couple bucks on errant shots.

Also another issue it poses. More guts inside a golfball. If Callaway can’t center a core (tongue in cheek) as it is how is adding a bunch of electronics inside of it going to help matters.

McLovin;n8884930 said:

also an advancement in more affordable yet still accurate and portable personal launch monitors

Can those balls also send a homing beacon to my phone so I can find them with GPS???

mtbloco;n8884965 said:
Would you be willing to charge your golf balls? Power is the stumbling block to getting gps in golf balls. But would be a really nice to know when that ball the you hit perfectly, watch it roll over a hill and never seen again.

Why couldn't you charge an internal battery wirelessly? If you can charge a phone wirelessly, then I'd think the same could work for a golf ball. No need for a charging port.

erock9174;n8885020 said:
The GPS idea might be great for ball fittings but to use it to locate lost balls on a course. Really ? Are we that hard up losing a couple bucks on errant shots.

Also another issue it poses. More guts inside a golfball. If Callaway can’t center a core (tongue in cheek) as it is how is adding a bunch of electronics inside of it going to help matters.

I'm less worried about the $ than the strokes lost when I can't find a ball in leaves or a little bit of rough.

erock9174;n8885020 said:

It's the strokes that irritate me, not the money LOL!

OGputtnfool;n8885029 said:
Why couldn't you charge an internal battery wirelessly? If you can charge a phone wirelessly, then I'd think the same could work for a golf ball. No need for a charging port.

exactly that is how it would be done, but it's on the user to remember.

OGputtnfool;n8885033 said:
I'm less worried about the $ than the strokes lost when I can't find a ball in leaves or a little bit of rough.

You're more honest than I. If I know my ball is in play but in the heavy leaves, for the sake of pace of play I don't spend the time to look. So I drop where I think it was sans penalty :bashful:. I don't play in a league, for money, etc.
I figure its on the course to remove leaves and many don't around these parts.

If I know my ball is deep I never bother to look as I know I am dropping with penalty anyway.

McLovin;n8884930 said:

Yes and yes.

I think it is a ways off, but augmented reality glasses. First thought is to have a shot tracer on each shot to make it easier for players to track each ball in the air, then eventually have range finder ability in them, could also collect ball data/for ball speed/spin/carry for each shot.

I’m still waiting for GPS in all carts / courses. It’s infuriating when you see new carts with the hookups and the course cheaps out and doesn’t get them, but still wants an astronomical cart fee. That said I think we probably see imbedded tracking in clubs as well. Cobra/arccos was the start and has spread but I could see NFC embedded into grips or heads bags so you could just sync your play as you go. I’d also love Apple to intergrate into Siri or something where you could wear AirPods or something and would give the yardage. I’d rather not wear glasses I think they’d be too bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erock9174;n8885442 said:
You're more honest than I. If I know my ball is in play but in the heavy leaves, for the sake of pace of play I don't spend the time to look. So I drop where I think it was sans penalty :bashful:. I don't play in a league, for money, etc.
I figure its on the course to remove leaves and many don't around these parts.

If I know my ball is deep I never bother to look as I know I am dropping with penalty anyway.

I am honest if nothing else.

How can you KNOW where it is if you can't find it?

Back