How many different sets of clubs do you game in one season?

mbenro

play better....
Reaction score
Handicap
2.2 GHIN
I joined THP in March after stumbling on the website while searching for reviews and ratings on irons. In my research I was surprised by how many members had more than one set of clubs they had available to play. I've been playing golf regularly for over 40 years and have never been tempted to own a second or third set to go to when my game goes south and you might need to look at something different for a few rounds.

How many sets of irons do you own, and how often will you switch irons during the course of your golf season (assuming you have a golf season)?

1. Out with the old, in with the new. I don't get the multiple sets mentality.

We don't have seasons where I live, golf is year round. In a typical calendar year I'd probably say on average I play 2-3 different sets of irons. I have a classic (1980's) set in the closet that I'll pull out for nine holes a few times a year. Although in truth, that old set is boxed up and put away at the moment as I don't anticipate using them any time soon.

And there's about a 50/50 chance in any given year that I'll replace the irons I'm playing with a new (to me) set I pick up used off eBay or something.

But other than the ancient set in the closet, I don't keep multiples of anything. I often have one older driver sitting around and of course like most golfers there are several putters strewn around the house. But when a new set of irons comes in, the old set gets sold off.

I have two sets of irons right now. I have my Wishon 550 combo set that I've owned since 2006ish and my set of Dynacraft MB that I built last autumn. I put the Wishons back in play for a few rounds earlier in the year and maybe put them back in the bag again for a few rounds to see if they can make the team again.

I primarily play one but will pull out one of my other 2 sets periodically for one or two rounds for the heck of it. If I didn't have the opportunity to play as much as I do (about 5 times per week), I would likely not do that and just stick with the one.

I have 2 sets in my house, my old set and current set in the signature. Won't swap them out but still keep them in case my dad comes down and wants to play but did not bring his clubs with him.

Currently have two sets, but only play my Cobra F7 OL irons at the moment.

nice try, wife!

i'm usually good for a couple sets a year, usually used. last year it was four lol

I am down to 2 sets now. I will game both of them but the Ping Eye 2's don't come out very often anymore.

I typically only own one set at a time. If I like my irons, I'll game them for 2-3 years. But, when I buy a new set (usually second hand), I'll typically sell my old set to fund the new purchase. Or use the money for something else gold related.

Why keep clubs around when you can use them to buy new stuff!

It makes no logical sense, but there are many here, including me, who simply enjoy trying different things. Most of us realize it doesn’t improve our games, but it is fun to do and part of the addiction associated with this game.

Tenputt;n8885235 said:
It makes no logical sense, but there are many here, including me, who simply enjoy trying different things. Most of us realize it doesn’t improve our games, but it is fun to do and part of the addiction associated with this game.

Agreed. This year it well be three iron sets, for not really any good reason other than tinkering.

I've only been playing 2 years, but my bag evolves as my skills evolve.

I have shelved the following since last year:

XR16 driver - Replaced with Cobra F9
XR16 3 wood - Not replaced
3H - back to 5W
7H - back to 6I
Infomercial hybrid - replaced with real hybrids
Infomercial wedges - replaced with real wedges
RTX3 52 - replaced with VM7 50
3 ball putter replace with red ball

I'm on a 2 year cycle with irons & every year on woods. Typically whenever Titleist comes out with something new! HA! :act-up:

McLovin;n8885076 said:
nice try, wife!

i'm usually good for a couple sets a year, usually used. last year it was four lol

LOL, I appreciate your suspicion.....

1 set. I believe that I do not hit enough practice golf balls to change equipment very often.

I own 2: a modern set and a vintage set. I love my modern clubs because they make me a better golfer than I really am but I also enjoy the fun and challenge or persimmon woods and blade irons, not to mention playing with an 80 year old set of irons is just cool.

Back