9 holes versus 18 holes - Do you really care about how long it takes???

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Just as the title implies “Are you really in a hurry?” When it comes to playing golf. Media today suggests that most people, now a days, don’t want to take the time and their schedules are so crowded they don’t have time to enjoy the company and enjoy the experience. What do you say, I play quickly but always have time for the people and the game, what about you??

I don't care how long the round takes.
I VERY much care, how long I am stuck waiting between each shot. If a golf round is hit a shot and then wait 15 minutes before getting to swing again? No thank you.

JB;n8885655 said:
I VERY much care, how long I am stuck waiting between each shot. If a golf round is hit a shot and then wait 15 minutes before getting to swing again? No thank you.

What JB just said.

I was fixin' to type that exact response, word for word.

P.S. I am perfectly happy to spend 6 hours at the golf course. As long as I can play 27 holes and stop at some point for a decent lunch.

I don't want to be on the course much longer than is needed. It has nothing to do with friends, enjoyment, or the game. A full round usually takes 4+ hrs, and that's a huge chunk of time, with everything else going on.

I understand that no one wants to spend 5 hours playing a round and I certainly agree with you but my point is that everyone seems to be in such a hurry that they don’t enjoy the game or the people they’re playing with!!

JB;n8885655 said:

This x1000.

RNG;n8885684 said:
I understand that no one wants to spend 5 hours playing a round and I certainly agree with you but my point is that everyone seems to be in such a hurry that they don’t enjoy the game or the people they’re playing with!!

I do not enjoy hurrying through a round, which I sometimes catch myself doing. So I slow down and make sure to enjoy it. When playing solo at my home course occasionally I'll start pushing the pace (usually playing in the evening after a hectic day at work) without even realizing it until I see the clock on the clubhouse at the turn. If it's much under 1:20 or 1:25 for the first nine I try to slow my walking down a bit on the back.

But I've played rounds recently in threesome that were around 3 hours and nobody hurried a single shot. If you're lucky enough to play with nobody in the group having modern affectations about "routines" and "alignment lines" and the like and if you play on an old-fashioned compact course, the only way to take 4 hours to play golf is to spend a great deal of time standing around doing nothing.

Anything over 4 hrs is too long.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885694 said:
I do not enjoy hurrying through a round, which I sometimes catch myself doing. So I slow down and make sure to enjoy it. When playing solo at my home course occasionally I'll start pushing the pace (usually playing in the evening after a hectic day at work) without even realizing it until I see the clock on the clubhouse at the turn. If it's much under 1:20 or 1:25 for the first nine I try to slow my walking down a bit on the back.

But I've played rounds recently in threesome that were around 3 hours and nobody hurried a single shot. If you're lucky enough to play with nobody in the group having modern affectations about "routines" and "alignment lines" and the like and if you play on an old-fashioned compact course, the only way to take 4 hours to play golf is to spend a great deal of time standing around doing nothing.

Alignment lines maybe, but routines are far from a modern invention.

OGputtnfool;n8885705 said:
Alignment lines maybe, but routines are far from a modern invention.

As Rotella or someone famously observed, Hogan had a "routine". He stepped up to the ball and hit it. Same way every time. That makes it a "routine".

I don't want to spend all day playing, but if we are at any type of pace and not waiting on shots then I am good.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885694 said:
"alignment lines"

Is it OK to use them (on the tee and green) if you can finish 9 solo in under 1:15?

JB;n8885655 said:

Ohhh this is so me. I can have a casual round and interact with others, take time out, etc. But if my time is essentially being spent waiting after every shot the fun factor will go down quickly.

I don’t mind time, just don’t make me wait every shot.... that kills me. Also, just don’t piddle around. Be ready to hit when you can.

I absolutely care about speed of play. Slow social golf is discourteous to everyone on the course and to the game of golf. Ready golf should be mandatory for everyone including the pros.

My play tends to disintegrate if I'm just standing around and stiffening up. I play way better faster then if I'm forced to sit around on the tee boxes.

If it's backed up in front of you, then that's part of golf and there's nothing you can do. But if you're behind and still chitchatting in the cart with you playing partner and not ready to play, that's a problem.

I don’t mind if it takes awhile. I’m there to play golf, but also spend time with people I enjoy so I budget my time accordingly. We play ready golf, so there isn’t much standing around... but if we’re waiting at a tee box for a couple of minutes, it’s just time spent cleaning the grooves or cracking a cold refreshment.

That said, if there’s a group in front and they’re really taking their time we might ask to play through. More often than not, they’re already aware of pace and will offer before being asked.

I only care if I have places to be. If I have a golf round planned and nothing else for the day I won't even look at the time. Rarely do I ever squeeze in a round with a tight window to finish. I can easily play a 5 hour round and never have to wait even remotely long to hit a shot. We all enjoy our golf at different speeds.

Back