I have always been a Ben Hogan guy! I appreciate what they have done in the past, their current model now, and am looking forward to what the future holds!

Brand preferences? Yes. Brand loyalty? No.

McLovin;n8886111 said:
unwavering? no. i have preferences for companies that have been great to me. cobra, callaway and project x. but that just means they get my first look unless something beats them in a testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have a follow up question for you on that: if your preference/loyalty is for company A, how much better would company B’s equipment need to be to get you to switch clubs and go against loyalty?

I have preconceptions that are a bit hard to get over at times.

I definitely lean towards certain brands in certain spots of the bags. Mizuno/Srixon irons have been common, Cobra woods (though a bit more open minded here), Cleveland/Titleist Wedges. That said I'm still open to trying a lot of things. I really enjoyed trying an all Cobra bag for the majority of the year which opened my eyes to their clubs beyond what I traditionally liked from the brand.

Loyal to anyone who supports THP first, but more than anything I’ve become loyal to what works for my game.

I've never had brand loyalty. At the moment, there's 5 different manufacturers in my bag, 6 if you count the ball.

A good run, such as Callaway's, may get me to check them out first. But as to what goes in the bag? I truly don't care.

Although I play major brands now, I've played little known at the time KZG and SMT. Then also Golfsmith, a Maltby putter, Toski driver, Dogleg Right Hog putter, etc. Also Orlimar, Adams and Tour Edge before the vast majority of people ever heard of them.

If it works and it's legal and I'm inclined to do so, I'll play it.

I was a Titleist driver, FWs and irons for a long time, along with Cleveland wedges and a Callaway putter. When I redid my bag in 2011 and 2012, I stayed with Titleist irons and switched to a TM driver and 3W. I stayed with Cleveland wedges and the same putter. When I had my fitting earlier this year, I told my fitter that I wanted to do it as blind as possible, that I didn’t want my feelings toward a brand keep me from getting the best irons, driver and FWs that I could. I ended up with the Epic Flash and TM irons. I go back and forth with the Cleveland RTX or Callaway PM Grind wedges. First time in 25 years I didn’t have a Titleist club in the bag.

Putters are courtesy of Odyssey and Toulon from a THP event earlier this year.

I want the best equipment possible but I have a strong affinity for Callaway/Odyssey/Toulon, based on what those people and companies have done for THP and THPers beyond any event, and meeting and talking with Austie Rollinson, Sean Toulon, Luke Williams and Tony Toulon at the OE. The accessibility to them and their openness with and willingness to put up with a bunch of internet yahoos were phenomenal.

annsguy;n8887605 said:
Brands like Hogan and Exotics who play the underdog role very well. I guess the answer is that I don't have a preference for the large brands. They don't need me. I like to be a bit out of the mainstream.

Similar to me. At one time most of my bag was Taylormade, but that has definitely evolved the last few years. Looking at my bag now, it is all Srixon/Cleveland and Tour Edge, but last time I got new irons I tried everything, ended up going Srixon over Ping, as performance was equal, but Srixon won on appearance and being the less mainstream choice. Same with the new driver, tried everything, went Tour Edge due to great experience with their fairways and hybrids over the years, I hit it as good or better than anything else, and I like their aggressive David vs Goliath marketing with the EXS line.

Do you want loyalty? Perform. Loyalty should be earned...and then earned again. I don't have a 'relationship' with a club manufacturer nor do I pretend to have one. As a couple of posters said, being married to a brand limits your choices and more often than not leads to a less than optimal outcome.

Alez367;n8887682 said:
Have a follow up question for you on that: if your preference/loyalty is for company A, how much better would company B’s equipment need to be to get you to switch clubs and go against loyalty?

specific to just loyalty? i'm not sure i could quantify that. somewhere between fractionally and dramatically. an example would be in a recent fitting. testing fairway woods, i was getting along great with the taylormade m6, not so great with callaway epic flash, so i bought the m6. in that same fitting, i was getting along great with callaway apex 19, as well as p790, but i went with the apex.

i will admit that if there is a substantial price difference, my wallet will win out over my brand loyalty.

There are a few brands that I tend to check out first based on having a good past experience, and the revers is true as well.

I'd say that there are some that get the first chance to wow me, but if they don't I have no problem looking at other options.

Bottom line is that they have to perform. Current bag has Callaway woods, Callaway hybrids, Taylormade irons and Cleveland wedges. The putter is custom from a small custom clubmaker. Balls are Titleist ProV1 or Taylormade TP5. Bag is a Titleist stand bag from about 7 yrs ago, I think.

Zero brand loyalty in golf or anything else. I want the best, for me, that I can afford.

Back