When do move on from gear?

Big SoIL

Reaction score
Handicap
We’ve all ended up with gear in our bags that just doesn’t end up jiving with us for whatever reason. Maybe we guessed at what would fit us and it didn’t or it just didn’t have the same magic on the course it did in a fitting. Whether it’s because of the cost of equipment or for sentimental reasons most of us try to make it work to varying degrees I think.

So THP...what say you? When is it time to move on from gear and what lengths do you go to to make something work?

I stick with irons longer, in general. I think the set of irons is the signature of the bag, so I tend to hold on to it as it becomes your identity, so to speak.

The rest of the bag is fickle.

Looking for new irons, by the way...

Big SoIL;n8885975 said:
We’ve all ended up with gear in our bags that just doesn’t end up jiving with us for whatever reason. Maybe we guessed at what would fit us and it didn’t or it just didn’t have the same magic on the course it did in a fitting. Whether it’s because of the cost of equipment or for sentimental reasons most of us try to make it work to varying degrees I think.

So THP...what say you? When is it time to move on from gear and what lengths do you go to to make something work?

I basically replace gear in my bag when one of two things happens.
1: I lose complete confidence in the ability to play it well
2: it’s damaged somehow and it annoys the living piss out of me

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It kind of depends on how bad the results are. I've stuck it out for weeks trying to make some things work but other times I've dropped it within two rounds if the results were terrible.

When I want something new and shiny. More so when I just feel lost with the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I am certain that the club does not work for me I will move on. That can take a while because I am inconsistent and want to give a new club several chances to work. The driver that Big Soil plays is a perfect example of that. I hit it terribly at first but stuck with it and now I love it.

I always try to keep new clubs in the bag for as long as possible. Most of the time if it’s fitted to my swing, and I’m not having success with it, it’s usually me, not the club. That’s just my thinking

If I find something I feels works better, than I will have and try it out.

If its not working, its not working. I'll admit that Im often guility of moving on from gear way too soon though. Its almost never the gear, its almost always me.

it's time to move when i don't have confidence that a decent swing will produce the desired result. if i don't have confidence in a particular club, it needs to go.

When I become intrigued by something else. Part of the fun of the game is trying different things, which, admittedly, makes for an expensive hobby.

If I play about 20 rounds and the club still does not produce desired results, I will usually go back to the tried and true club I was playing in that spot before I bought the new club. I will normally try a shaft change or two in the new club before completely giving up on it.

Usually it's a combination of boredom, extra money laying around, finding a great deal, or a fitting/swing change

BriMac;n8885983 said:
I stick with irons longer, in general. I think the set of irons is the signature of the bag, so I tend to hold on to it as it becomes your identity, so to speak.

This is so true. My DCI irons are like me, old, out-dated, non-conforming and falling apart after being flooded! :bulgy-eyes:

Too often unfortunately but typically when I lose confidence in the particular club’s performance. I know it’s not me (ha ha) so I will start search for something that is getting high reviews and won’t break the bank.

I'm a little different because I have the means/tools to really TRY to make something work, mostly with metalwoods. I'll go through shaft changes, SW changes, all kinds of changes IF the club fits my eye, I enjoy the story, and I enjoy what the company is doing.

BriMac;n8885983 said:

That is a great observation and I tend to agree.

I have impulsivity with drivers, my irons I try make work for longer ... Justified by the fact they cost more and I get more use from them

Will be looking to do an iron fitting and purchase after I finish student loans and store that $ away for a bit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Usually based on deal and need. Irons I em will stick with a while. Woods I have little attachment, so if I see a deal, I might make a move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either due to a wodnerful THP event or more frequently the case, just because haha. I typically don't move on because I think it will improve my game. Its all due to wanting something new haha

If it's gear I am buying, i'm giving it a few rounds to figure out if its going to stick. If it's gear from a THP event, I will keep it longer to offer my feedback (good & bad) as that was my commitment. How long? depends, but usually a minimum of a couple of months.

When I want to change. If something catches my eye it will likely go in the bag... I'm still not sure what I truly like. A lot of times it comes down to simply not liking the look of something anymore and wanting something new.

Back