Using a 60* Wedge As A SW

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Just wondering if you can use a 60* wedge as a sand wedge. If so, how many of you use one in that fashion.

Sure. You can use anything you want. An important thing to keep in mind is the sole of the club. Most 60* wedges have lower bounce than that of 56* wedges, and in most types of sand, a larger sole can be your friend.

JB;n8886053 said:
Sure. You can use anything you want. An important thing to keep in mind is the sole of the club. Most 60* wedges have lower bounce than that of 56* wedges, and in most types of sand, a larger sole can be your friend.

Thanks for the tip, JB.

And not to send you down a rabbit hole, but here is a great video talking about bounce and sole design.

[video=youtube;Ti2RP8K-msc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2RP8K-msc&t=1s[/video]

JB;n8886082 said:
And not to send you down a rabbit hole, but here is a great video talking about bounce and sole design.

[video=youtube;Ti2RP8K-msc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2RP8K-msc&t=1s[/video]

Thanks for this also.

I've used both low and high bounce 60* wedges as my SW for awhile now. I have much better luck with a 60* than a 56* out of the sand, but I also find you have to be a lot more precise if it's a lower bounce version. I think the bounce on mine now is 10* and I really like it out of the sand.

I play a 60 degree wedge with a lot of bounce out of the sand and it’s automatic. I prefer the higher loft out of the sand too

I’ve used a 60 out of the sand a lot and it works great (although some are better than others based on the conditions). Use away!

This year, I have gravitated to the wide sole low bounce 58 or 60 degree wedge. I am using the Cobra Wide Low grind, that I received in the Morgan Cup. Other manufacturers have similar products, like the Titleist D grind.

as long as it has sufficiently high bounce i’d say it’s fine. but a lower bounce option requires more precision than most of us amateurs are capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been using my 58deg MID (9 bounce) RTX-4 out of the sand. And really open it up to hit out of some deep faced bunkers. However next week I should get my CBX-2 54 deg wedge. So I will be doing a lot of comparisons. In AZ summer the bunkers then to be a bit low on sand, so very hard.

I have the Ping Glide Stealth 2.0's in 54 and 60 SS. I use both out of the bunker. For standard bunker shots, and longer ones, I use the 54. I'll use the 60 for those situations where I need to hit it higher, shorter. Same swing... clubs work the same in the bunker. Just height and distance changes.

I use my 60* out of a green side bunker exclusively. I was too inconsistent with my 56* and am much more confident using my 60*.

... I have a 58* as my LW and I use it out of the bunker 90% of the time. I play a Vokey D grind with 12* of bounce and my 52* F grind also has 12* of bounce.

I use a 58* almost exclusively. My course has small greens so the bunker shots are typically pretty short. High and soft is a premium.

I always use my 60° for green side bunker shots. It's high bounce, I think 14° and it just works for me.

I use my 58 pm grind all the time. Almost exclusively from green side bunkers.

I use my 54 mid bounce when the sand is dry or somewhat fluffy. I go with a 58 low bounce when it's hard packed or wet.

I use a 60/04 on my home course with firm sand. Easy to get through the sand and can stop
It quick. I’ll use the 56 at other courses with fluffier sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use mine as a sand wedge in greenside bunkers. If I need something just to pop the ball up into the air, over the lip and have it land softly on the green, its a great shot to have. It can be an unforgiving club though, its very easy to either hit it fat and leave it in the bunker or skill it and hit a low shot that goes 30 yards over the green.

I don't have one in the bag now but when I do, It is my go to sand wedge.

I use a wedge with a wide sole for green-side bunkers. My current one is a SM5 "K" grind, but I also use my Ping Stealth 2 or my Cleveland RTX if they're in the bag all of them are 58*. I tried using a narrower sole but it would just dig into the sand.

I don’t use my 60* out of the sand. It has very little to no bounce, by design. I like it for tight lies or hardpan, etc. I use either my 56* or 52* (both with medium bounce) out of sand.

Like most, I use my 58 most of the time out of the bunker. When I did have a 60 in the bag, I would use it with full confidence.

I prefer a low bounce 58 or 60 for all shots around the green, including green side bunkers.

The bounce/grind/sole thickness depends on you and your swing. Don't assume high bounce or a wide sole will work best. If at all possible, try and many as you can. Some Titleist Thursday fittings (which are free) are held at grass ranges where bunkers are available. That would be a great place to actually test wedges if there is one available near you.

Back