Best and Worst Golf Equipment Purchase

Campbell Toe

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
So far I have to say the best purchase I have made are my Callaway CF19 Apex irons. Worst has to be the Nike Sasquatch driver I purchased years ago. The square head just wasn't as appealing as I thought it would be.

Worst=SLDR driver, i chased distance so hard

Best=CBX wedge... I've been money from 90 and in with it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The worst was probably the Srixon Z965s that I got over the winter. I'm not good enough to play blades, but I thought that an experiment would be fun. It was, but I need more forgiveness (please put a groove on the club sole).

I just ordered the Apex '19s and that might be the best purchase ever.

Worst - Ping vault putter. In the store it felt great. Real world use it is just not heavy enough for me.

Best - callaway sure out 60*. That wedge is killer for me all around the green.
Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Best: TEE EX10 Beta 3W

Worst: RAZR X Irons. After law school, I bought a set of these after a fitting as my "graduation gift to myself." Dropped way too much $$$ on a 3-PW, and I could not hit them at all. My swing was very rusty, so I went back to my '04 Big Bertha irons.

Ah man, this is a tough one.

Worst purchase has to be a 15 or 16 degree TM rescue I bought back around 08. Never took advantage of the 7 day return policy on a used club as quickly as I did that thing. Just AWFUL for me.

Best purchase is where it gets tough. Probably the Epic SZ 3w, and then the Rogue SZ 3w. Something about the Epic 3w made me figure out how to hit a 3w off the turf like I can my 21 degree fairway wood. Opened up a lot more par 5's in 2 and long par 4's. Moved to the Rogue and hit it just as well, but with jailbreak. Couldn't pass up the tech I know worked.

Best purchase: 2016 M2
Worst purchase: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport

Gotta be a Cobra F7 fairway wood with those baffler rails. I just could not get that stick to work no matter what. And to make it worse, I sold my beloved G25 4 wood to make space.

best is my albatross club membership. a direct club purchase would be ping g400 max.

worst? probably tm m3 driver. close second would be an adams pro hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Best - my Srixon 765’s or my Epic driver.

Worst - a wide sole high bounce 60* wedge. That thing fit me horribly.

Best: Toss up between Hogan PTx Pro irons and Hogan Equalizer wedges

Worst: Don't remember what year they were but were from about 10 years ago. Cleveland Launcher driver and FWs. I had loved all Cleveland metal woods before these and after these. This particular model just didn't agree with me. They had some kind of Fujikura Fit-On shafts that were likley the issue for me. That was long before I thought about anything outside of stock shafts.

Best: fitting for my M3 driver

Worst: Warrior 4 hybrid. I got it right when I started golfing and didn’t know any better. I’ve hit that thing maybe 2-3x. The only good thing about it is that I didn’t fall victim to the Warrior scam and they’ve stopped calling me after 4x of me saying I wasn’t interested in anything

Best purchase was the Odyssey dual force 990 that I still putt with from the late 90’s

worst was an Odyssey tri-hot that was expensive at the time and I used less than 10 times. It is still in my garage

Best: Cleveland launcher DST 5 wood. I rarely (even on a bad day) hit a shot with it that I would consider poor. Off the deck and tee it has been a money club for me. It's old now but I don't care. She has aged just fine IMO.

Worst: I experimented with one length for a half a season.. worst commitment to clubs I have ever made. I thought it was great and doable for about two weeks. I realized after that I have been playing golf way to long to go one length. I don't think it's a terrible thing. It's just not for me. Glad I didn't go down that hole any longer than I did though. Enjoying the game just fine this year. (With standard sticks).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Best wasn’t a purchase but a prize win at a local outing. Original Hogan Edges, no question.

Worst? A TM Burner Driver. Don’t even remember when. Oh, it went straight okay, but it just seemed to die well short of previous drivers. Lost 30 yards at least. It would take off, look like it go for miles and just fall out of the sky. It sounded odd on contact as well. Didn’t last more than 4-5 rounds before I picked up a Tour Octane at RBG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best: Srixon 785 Irons (Didn’t purchase)

Worst: Bladed 2 iron for those short par 4’s. Turns out I didn’t have the speed or game for this beast. Turned those short par 4’s very long. Only used it twice and took a beating on trade in.

Worst: club champion fitting and build

Best: anything off CPO, probably PM grinds currently, completely changed how I approach short game.

Best purchase: probably the G400 driver. It built my confidence back up in my driving game.

Worst purchase: the Evnroll putter a couple years ago. That was a bad experiment for this guy.

Best- probably my Srixon z565/765/965 combo iron set. Just a solid set of irons.

Worst - this was easy, many years ago a Taylormade Superdeep driver. For the life of me just couldn’t make it work. Lasted about a month than re-sold.

Best: Right now I would go with my Z765/565 combo set I got from a member here for a few new wedges.

Worst: Many moons ago, I bought a Callaway C4 driver that I thought was going to be a game changer...easily the worst driver I ever hit (including the crappy one that came with my box set of Wilsons I started golfing with). Replaced with a Cleveland Launcher Comp after 1/2 season and instantly gained 40-50 yards.

Best - epic flash driver. Completely changed the game for me and have never been this confident on the tee.

Worst - SLDR driver. I almost gave up the game because of the lack of forgiveness. All of the things I tried to change for the driver ruined my game for quite a while.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Best - Bettenardi BB1 putter. I still use it 2.5+ years later and don’t think it will ever leave my bag
worst - Callaway Big Bertha 815 double black diamond on CPO. It was really cheap and I bought it. I hit a dozen balls with it and realized really quickly I hated everything about it.

Best: Ping G irons. Love them to the moon and back.

worst: project a golf balls. Proshop had them on sale for 18 so I bought 20 dozen and couldn’t give them away fast enough.

Back