You have to play one brand for the rest of your life

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What brand would it be and why? Could be current brand trajectory, tradition, personal interaction with the company, customer service, etc

For me, it's Callaway. My first real set of clubs was a set of used X-12s. For some reason, once I got that set of clubs, I felt like I was a "real golfer". Since then, I've always appreciated the fact that they seemed genuinely invested in making a player of my skill level enjoy the game while some other brands were more geared toward a more exclusive type of player. I remember when the Rule 35 ball came out. I used to work at a course and had (what seemed) a lifetime supply of balls but the Rule 35 (blue) was "my ball". When the Prov1 came out it was the hottest ticket in town. They retailed for $72.00 a dozen at our pro shop. I traded two ProV1s to one Rule 35 to anyone that would take the trade (and there were plenty). I just felt so strongly about the brand and still do to this day.

Who's your, gun to the head, lifetime brand and (most importantly) why?

If we assume companies stay on similar trajectories and paths it’s Callaway for me by a landslide.

Probably not a surprise to many....Ben Hogan Golf. Have always loved the brand back to my early days of playing and love what the current company is doing and the equipment they are putting out.

tequila4kapp;n8886518 said:
If we assume companies stay on similar trajectories and paths it’s Callaway for me by a landslide.

Besides being a Grandaddy participant, any particular reason why (other than current trajectory)?

I would play Callaway. Ping is a close 2nd. For brands, I trust that they both will always have something I love. I played Callaway 10 years, switched to Ping for 7 or so, and am back with Callaway. I give Callaway the edge because I have always had an Odyssey putter and with them being part of the Callaway family, I would stick with that.

robrandalgz;n8886521 said:
Besides being a Grandaddy participant, any particular reason why (other than current trajectory)?
It’s not the Grandaddy, except that the experience exposed me to the way the company culture, continuous innovation and commitment to revolutionary R&D permeates their products. Assuming the company stays on the same trajectory I know I will never be at a technological disadvantage. There will be multiple product lines to choose from that will cover my evolving needs. And everything from bags, balls, to clothes, to wedges, irons, hybrids, putters and woods will be very, very good.

Titleist. Any time I go for a fitting, Titleist clubs are either the best or right up there.

Callaway/odyssey/Toulon. No hesitation

If I could find a driver combo that worked for me, I could happily go with Srixon/Cleveland as that is a big part of my bag now and the irons and wedges work well for my game and I could most likely play the Z-Star ball in some form or other, otherwise I would probably move over to Callaway/Odyssey/Toulon as I have driver, fairway and putter

During my fitting, the Apex irons were very good so I could happily put those in my bag and I already play the Chromesoft ball so it would be a toss up between these 2 brands

Callaway for me by a landslide. That was true even before The Grandaddy. They’re consistently putting out some of the best gear out there. They’ve got everything covered, and they’ve got product lines for everyone.

Callaway for me and yes the Grandaddy is most of the reason why. I am loyal to them because of how good they are to THP and its members. Another reason is they are near the top in every category of clubs from beginners to PGA pros. I know that Callaway will have me covered until I am too old to play golf anymore.

An honorable mention to Ben Hogan golf. I love the irons and wedges they produce and they are also very good to this community.

Even though I have nothing in the bag from them at the moment, it'd easily be Ping for me. I trust their "engineering first" approach

This one is tough because there are a lot of great offerings across the board. All things being equal I will lean on how the company treats/interacts with "Joe Golfer" and Callaway wins that one no question. From their customer service to how their marketing team engages, they get it and always have the first shot at my bag. It helps they are making great products for every golfing segment so there is something for every handicap.

Titleist. They remain consistent every release and would be the safest bet based on the last couple of decades for me.

Cleveland/Srixon. Best combination irons and wedges out there IMO and could make the the Driver/Woods/Hybrid situation work. Callaway would be right there at 1B

Wow. This is tougher than I first thought. I’ve always had at least 2-3, and occasionally 4, different brands of clubs in the bag. For a lot of years, it was Titleist (D, 3W and irons), Cleveland (4H and/or wedges) and Callaway (putter). Currently, it’s Callaway (D, 3W, 5W, 4H, sometimes wedges and Odyssey or Toulon), TM (irons) and Cleveland (wedges when not playing the PMs). I’ve also had a TM hybrid at times.

If I had to pick now, it’d would be Callaway first and Titleist second. Until the Odyssey Experience, I would’ve chosen Titleist unreservedly. Having met the Odyssey guys, learning about their products, Callaway products and the company in general, and always getting exceptional customer service, Callaway jumps to the fore.

This is tough like Parrot said. I guess I flip a coin with Callaway and Ping. Since I cannot part with my Flash driver, I choose Callaway.

Scrap22;n8887041 said:
This is tough like Parrot said. I guess I flip a coin with Callaway and Ping. Since I cannot part with my Flash driver, I choose Callaway.

Yep. When rubber meets the road, I’m not parting with my Odyssey/Toulon putters.

Long term for the rest of my life....man I think I would go the more traditionalist route and look at Ping or Titleist. Me being me, I'd say Ping. I know the i series isn't going to give drastic changes from release to release. They might not be the most technologically advanced company(same goes for Titleist), but if we are talking one brand for the rest of my life, I just like what their track record is during my last 20 years of really digging equipment, and I feel like the future will be more of the same.

Callaway or Srixon/Cleveland for me. I would go this way because I own clubs from both and both companies do have very solid product lines for high handicap players.

I honestly couldn't and wouldn't choose. Cop out answer, but its true.

It'd be Titleist for me. It's a consistency of equipment answer. Everything they make from driver to putter I could plug in the bag and use at any time. And their brand has been that way for me for years. Every other brand I can think of there's 1 or 2 components that I struggle with. But I can always count on Titleist for equipment that works for me. From their CB irons to Vokey wedges to Scotty's putters, and any of their woods and hybrid offerings (didn't care for the 917's but I still hit them decent.) This is based off looking back through about the last decade of equipment.

Jman ;n8887142 said:
I honestly couldn't and wouldn't choose. Cop out answer, but its true.

for once could you play along James!

cbaker2882;n8886705 said:
Titleist. They remain consistent every release and would be the safest bet based on the last couple of decades for me.

i dont think that will ever change and why I think they always remain a constant in golf. Everyone knows what to expect from them and their designs

ddec;n8887182 said:
for once could you play along James!

Nah, not on this one.

Back