Cobra KING OS Irons Preview

That would be an interesting setup to try. I demoed a One Length 4 iron (Forged) during the Morgan Cup, and it's the first 4 iron I've been able to solidly hit in several years! However, it would be tough to knock out any King OS irons out of my bag - they have been solid performers for me!

And frankly a mistake by the players. The entire goal of One Length is not just to make long irons easier, but to have no variances in any irons. On this side of the many gallons of water, they have not seen an abundance of the mixed sets in comparison according to Jose.

And frankly a mistake by the players. The entire goal of One Length is not just to make long irons easier, but to have no variances in any irons. On this side of the many gallons of water, they have not seen an abundance of the mixed sets in comparison according to Jose.

JB
Good to know. I am very interested in the single length but concerned about the reported short gapping between the 4, 5, and 6. What have you seen there? Note I am not a fast swinger but really like the concept of the single length for consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB
Good to know. I am very interested in the single length but concerned about the reported short gapping between the 4, 5, and 6. What have you seen there? Note I am not a fast swinger but really like the concept of the single length for consistency.

I don't really think it's all that different than with regular length clubs - gapping tends to get smaller there for most golfers - it's one of the reasons companies have tweaked the lofts a bit. I was able to get down to the same club with gapping I do with my "regular" irons when I went to a fitting/demo day. Marginal gains only with the 4i, but that's what I see anyway.

I whole heartedly agree with you but apparently people have trouble adjusting to the longer shafted short Irons I had no trouble using them but everyone to their own.

These are now being offered as a combo set with the OS hybrids.

Does anyone know if there has been a test between these Irons and the Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons I think it would be a great test to see if one has an advantage over the other

Does anyone know if there has been a test between these Irons and the Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons I think it would be a great test to see if one has an advantage over the other

Multiple posts in the two main threads. I have both of them and they are both solid. Different look, sound and feel without a doubt, but they are both hollow body designs.

Cobra King OS Irons

Cobra King OS Irons

This is my 1st review of anything golf related so hopefully I don't miss anything. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

What I have is the Cobra King Oversize irons with steel True Temper XP 85 stiff shafts in the 4-GW.

I received these courtesy of THP's Pick Your Irons:The Morgan Cup 2017 contest (Thanks Again Guys) and immediately put them into practice and play. 1st impression is they are beautiful irons right out of the box. I've always liked the way Cobra colors their irons and this is no different. The head is definitely oversized as stated but was very similar to my r7 CGB Max irons. The top line is thicker than a players iron and may take a little getting used to for better golfers but something like that never bothered me. They are a tad heavier than the others but still not baseball bat heavy. For someone like me that has a tendency to over swing, it helps keep the rhythm in check. These are definitely game improvement irons. The alignment pattern (ball outline) is helpful and not distracting. It gives you a great aiming point to help improve ball striking. Gapping is fairly consistent compared to my previous set and I'm still working on nailing down yardages. Mishits are still mishits but dispersion is much closer. The launch is lower than with my previous set and ball flight seems more penetrating with more consistency even on the mishits. I hit a natural draw with irons and it's no different with these. If I was going to make up a set of irons to help my game, these would have been it. I like these and they are definitely keepers. If you are a medium to high handicapper like myself these are definitely worth taking a swing with. Like I stated earlier, they are a little heavier so be prepared. All-in-all a great set of irons for the average golfer like myself.

This is my 1st review of anything golf related so hopefully I don't miss anything. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

What I have is the Cobra King Oversize irons with steel True Temper XP 85 stiff shafts in the 4-GW.

I received these courtesy of THP's Morgan Cup Pick Your Irons contest (Thanks Again Guys) and immediately put them into practice and play. 1st impression is they are beautiful irons right out of the box. I've always like the way Cobra colors their irons and this is no different. The head is definitely oversized as stated but was very similar to my r7 CGB Max irons. The top line is thicker than a players iron and may take a little getting used to for better golfers but something like that never bothered me. They are a tad heavier than the others but still not baseball bat heavy. For someone like me that has a tendency to over swing, it helps keep the rhythm in check. These are definitely game improvement irons. The alignment pattern (ball outline) is helpful and not distracting. It gives you a great aiming point to help improve ball striking. Gapping is fairly consistent compared to my previous set and I'm still working on nailing down yardages. Mishits are still mishits but dispersion is much closer. The launch is lower than with my previous set and ball flight seems more penetrating with more consistency even on the mishits. I hit a natural draw with irons and it's no different with these. If I was going to make up a set of irons to help my game, these would have been it. I like these and they are definitely keepers. If you are a medium to high handicapper like myself these are definitely worth taking a swing with. Like I stated earlier, they are a little heavier so be prepared. All-in-all a great set of irons for the average golfer like myself.

Good initial thoughts!! Can't wait to hear what you think after you've had them in your bag for a while!

I received these courtesy of THP's Morgan Cup Pick Your Irons contest (Thanks Again Guys) and immediately put them into practice and play. 1st impression is they are beautiful irons right out of the box. I've always like the way Cobra colors their irons and this is no different. The head is definitely oversized as stated but was very similar to my r7 CGB Max irons. The top line is thicker than a players iron and may take a little getting used to for better golfers but something like that never bothered me. They are a tad heavier than the others but still not baseball bat heavy. For someone like me that has a tendency to over swing, it helps keep the rhythm in check. These are definitely game improvement irons. The alignment pattern (ball outline) is helpful and not distracting. It gives you a great aiming point to help improve ball striking. Gapping is fairly consistent compared to my previous set and I'm still working on nailing down yardages. Mishits are still mishits but dispersion is much closer. The launch is lower than with my previous set and ball flight seems more penetrating with more consistency even on the mishits. I hit a natural draw with irons and it's no different with these. If I was going to make up a set of irons to help my game, these would have been it. I like these and they are definitely keepers. If you are a medium to high handicapper like myself these are definitely worth taking a swing with. Like I stated earlier, they are a little heavier so be prepared. All-in-all a great set of irons for the average golfer like myself.

Good thoughts man and similar to my feeling of the previous Baffler series. I've gotta take a look at these in September.

I received these courtesy of THP's Pick Your Irons:The Morgan Cup 2017 contest (Thanks Again Guys) and immediately put them into practice and play. 1st impression is they are beautiful irons right out of the box. I've always liked the way Cobra colors their irons and this is no different. The head is definitely oversized as stated but was very similar to my r7 CGB Max irons. The top line is thicker than a players iron and may take a little getting used to for better golfers but something like that never bothered me. They are a tad heavier than the others but still not baseball bat heavy. For someone like me that has a tendency to over swing, it helps keep the rhythm in check. These are definitely game improvement irons. The alignment pattern (ball outline) is helpful and not distracting. It gives you a great aiming point to help improve ball striking. Gapping is fairly consistent compared to my previous set and I'm still working on nailing down yardages. Mishits are still mishits but dispersion is much closer. The launch is lower than with my previous set and ball flight seems more penetrating with more consistency even on the mishits. I hit a natural draw with irons and it's no different with these. If I was going to make up a set of irons to help my game, these would have been it. I like these and they are definitely keepers. If you are a medium to high handicapper like myself these are definitely worth taking a swing with. Like I stated earlier, they are a little heavier so be prepared. All-in-all a great set of irons for the average golfer like myself.

I'm happy to see another THP'er using King OS! I couldn't be happier with my irons, and it sounds like you are off to a good start with them! You are correct about ball flight - I noticed in my last round that I am hitting the ball a bit lower, but with no loss of distance at all.

I tried these and the F7 one length I liked the one length but these were just so forgiving if they made these in a one length it would be practically cheating lol.

Looks like they have now with the F Max One Length

Now that I've got a few rounds (10+) under my belt, let's review the earlier post I made and see if anything has changed. 1st off when you catch anyone of these dead nuts it's going to go and feels great. No weird clicking. The ball flight is definitely lower on the 4-6 irons but goes much farther than my previous r7's. 200+ before was a 5w or 3i. With this set I don't hesitate to grab the 5i and let if fly. I've flushed a couple of shots in the 225-230 yd range with the 5i without over swinging. So the length is there. Now for the surprise, the short irons get up and down very easy. After some swing and grip adjustments the ball flies much higher and lands like a dream. Best shot of the year was last night. Grabbed the PW and proceeded to hit it over a tall tree at 130ish and drop it about 10ft from the pin. Normally I would punch out and play but I've got the confidence to go for it with these. So this set is a keeper. The gap yardage is consistent to about 10-15 yds per club as you go down. Also helped my handicap by 7 strokes but other factors should be included, but the irons don't hurt.

Dave: Funny you ask because Erock and I hit a Cobra OS, a BB OS, a G400, a JGR and our Altitudes (along with some other irons) in a session on grass with the GC2. We both hit our Altitudes the best out of all the irons we tested. After that I hit the Cobra OS short irons the best and the JGR long iron the best (marked a 5, but it is a 4). For me the Cobras out performed the Callaways. Looks are subjective but I preferred the Cobras. They look a bit more "svelte" in the bag.

I could definitely game them. They were quite a bit better than the Baffler irons (briefly owned a set of those). They look, sound and feel better to me.

Dave: Funny you ask because Erock and I hit a Cobra OS, a BB OS, a G400, a JGR and our Altitudes (along with some other irons) in a session on grass with the GC2. We both hit our Altitudes the best out of all the irons we tested. After that I hit the Cobra OS short irons the best and the JGR long iron the best (marked a 5, but it is a 4). For me the Cobras out performed the Callaways. Looks are subjective but I preferred the Cobras. They look a bit more "svelte" in the bag.

I could definitely game them. They were quite a bit better than the Baffler irons (briefly owned a set of those). They look, sound and feel better to me.

So how do the Altitudes stack up against the new Launcher HB have you hit them back to back.

Let’s keep this thread to the KING OS irons. Thanks.

Let’s keep this thread to the KING OS irons. Thanks.

Ok no worries I will ask the same question in the Cleveland Launcher HB thread.

Has anyone bought these on close out? The price is fantastic and performance appears to be there based off reviews although I haven't hit them.

Dave

dthrog00;n8878947 said:
Has anyone bought these on close out? The price is fantastic and performance appears to be there based off reviews although I haven't hit them.

Dave

Not the irons but recently acquired the 3/4 and 4/5 hybrids and they have finally knocked my 7 season old Tour Edge hybrids from the bag. Matter of fact got the 5/6 head too and need to build a shaft for it.

My buddy brought his King OS 6i for me to demo at the course last week and it was legit. Nice high baby draw (had a steelfiber 80i shaft in it).

Hence the Avatar change the King OS 3-4, 4-5 hybrid and G-PW iron set has been ordered on what I think is an absolute smoking deal on close out. I'm looking forward to receiving them and hopefully playing some very good golf with them.

Dave

dthrog00;n8879810 said:
Hence the Avatar change the King OS 3-4, 4-5 hybrid and G-PW iron set has been ordered on what I think is an absolute smoking deal on close out. I'm looking forward to receiving them and hopefully playing some very good golf with them.

Dave

I believe Budget has them around $340 for the 8 piece combo set with the THP Coupon. If it's better than that, yes its a smoking deal.

JB;n8879814 said:
I believe Budget has them around $340 for the 8 piece combo set with the THP Coupon. If it's better than that, yes its a smoking deal.

Exactly that, was $382 after the code. I still think it is a smoking deal. Thanks!

Dave

Reactions: JB
I need to figure out what my bag setup is going to be. After I receive the King OS set, my locked options are:

Previous bag:

1) F8 driver 10.5*
2-5) 816 H1 19*, 22*, 25*, 28*
6-10) 716 AP2 6i-PW
11-13) SM6 Vokeys 50*F, 54*S, 54*S
14) Putter

New bag:
1) F8 driver 10.5*
2-3) King OS 20.5*, 23.5*
4-9) King OS 6i-GW
10) Putter

I've got 4 spots left.

I have a long club opening, but don't think the 816 H1 19* has a purpose when I have a 20.5* King OS. I could put my G15 17* 4 wood in the bag. I found it somewhat redundant to the 19* hybrid previously. It could have a purpose with the new 20.5* hybrid.

For wedges the King OS GW is a 50*. I could either keep some version of the Vokeys or use G15 set wedges sand and lob that I have around.

Any suggestions?

Dave

I've had the King OS irons out to the range a couple times now.

Last night I went to a local grass range and hit some balls. The course was wet and I generally have hit/miss sessions in those conditions. I hit quite a few good shots and some not so good shots too. I had the whole bag available and hit every club. I was concerned distance may not be quite as far I had hoped so I went again tonight, this time to a range with mats and with more flags to aim at.

This time I only took the King OS 7 iron, 716 AP2 7 iron, and G15 7 iron. The AP2 went shortest as expected. After getting used to the 460 ES Recoils in the King OS the AP2s with TT DG AMT R300 are HEAVY! The G15 were in the middle in distance with the King OS going the farthest. I'm not a long hitter and on solid hits was getting the King OS past the 132 flag with the range balls. No far, but farther than the others. I'm unsure if the technology of the clubs is contributing to a little better distance or if it is strictly the 30* loft on the Kings versus 32* G15 and 34* AP2.

Size to me does not seem that big. Both are clearly bigger than the AP2, but the Kings are not that different than the G15. See the images below.

#1 Soles - King OS is quite a bit narrower

2019_08_20_2220_1000 by dthrog00, on Flickr

#2 Side by Side - King OS is little longer blade length and has a thicker top line, but offset is noticeably less. I should have cleaned the G15 before the photos! D'OH!

2019_08_20_2223_1000 by dthrog00, on Flickr

#3 King OS with Ball

2019_08_20_2222_1000 by dthrog00, on Flickr

#4 G15 with Ball

2019_08_20_2221_1000 by dthrog00, on Flickr

Overall if you want a recent tech hollow iron with good distance and forgiveness these appear to check all of the boxes.

Dave

Anyone else picking these up on the closeout sale? I think they're an amazing set of irons regardless of price and to have them available for such a great deal makes me feel very lucky.

Dave

Back