Wilson Staff Triton Review Thread

I like the sound of it a lot.

Was planning on reading this as my good night thread tonight, but have to be a smart butt after reading this comment....

What? Were you wearing earmuffs? Lol!

One of the better performance drivers when set up correctly and paired with the great shafts they offered. But hitting it indoors ruined it for me. I felt like a grenade went off, ouch! The only thing I've seen that's louder was that old square Sumo Sasquatch thing Nike put out. I've read accounts of people stuffing the head full of cotton balls and it working like a charm. If that's the fix, send it to me from the factory stuffed with cotton balls. I got great (for me) numbers with it but sent it packing quickly once I was worried about permanent hearing loss.

It's loud. It's obnoxious. It performs great. If you're ok with all that, you can pick one up with a hundred dollar shaft for a hundred bucks. I won't lie, I bought mine for the shaft when I got it. I was getting great numbers but the sound (which to me directly translates to feel) wasn't pretty. I still have it and the tool kit it came with if anyone wants it. All weights and both sole plates. You're not getting the shaft it came with though, that's now my backup TM shaft. It's good. But if you want the head and kit it came with, I'll send it out to the first in with an "I'll take it" plus a decent stiff shaft for the price it takes me to ship it plus the install of the adapter. Call it 40.00 shipped in CONUS. That's actually way less than an adapter and shipping let alone the shaft I bought for about 100.00 (it's not worth that but when timidly asking Dicks to order you a shaft, you pay FULL retail for it). Never hit outdoors, and only once solidly indoors (ha?) so the head is in 9.5+/10. Shaft is 9.9/10, been swung less than 10 times, indoor only. Builder butchered the epoxy a bit with the tip install but if concerned with that price let me know and I'll email some pics. Don't mean to make this a BST post and if out of line please let me know and I'll delete. Or just delete it and shoot me a PM. I'm not looking to even break even, just thought I'd throw out a low cost chance at a good driver for my golfing friends. Understood if not the place for it, but I'm really good at sending clubs to others just for the heck of it. Consider this one of those except I am not asking for it to eventually come back. Just willing to pass on my loss for someone else's gain.

To repeat in more plain English ( ? ), taking the Rogue Silver 125 MSI shaft out of the equation I've got about 150.00 in this driver. This is the clubwork, aftermarket shaft (not as good as the Rogue Silver, but paid full retail for it, and it's not bad-suitable for SS of 95-105 or so). This doesn't include my shipping costs which I'll absorb for someone that wants a good driver for great price. This is basically a freebie for an almost new driver that truly is very good. My only stipulation would be if you eventually were to sell it for profit, you send me half the profit. I have no way to police that nor do I really care. I'd just be trying to help out a fellow golfer that might be playing older equipment than they'd like. This driver is very good. Just don't hit it inside. It's also very loud. The adapter was butchered a little with the aftermarket shaft install. Works 100% fine though. I'd have been a little upset had this been an expensive shaft, or even if the fine young folk at Dicks weren't great to me. Maybe I've got the exception to the rule but my local store has treated me very good. They've done a bunch of grip installs and tip swaps with no other issues. They also let me hit in their (questionable quality) sim for free most slow nights during the winter.

Is there a point where I could put too many cotton balls inside the head of my Triton. I hit it so well but it is noisy. I just filled it up. I don’t have a gram scale handy. I could hit it forever if it had a better sound and I can bring the height of my drives down. I changed the loft a degree today(9.5). Height is already better.

I used pollyfill in mine that you would find at hobby lobby. It is the stuffing that is inside stuffed animals so you might have something around the house that will work. I use the carbon plate on the bottom that is 10 grams lighter than the titanium plate. I added 10 grams of pollyfill and it seems fill the head about right. Mine is still loud but I don't care, great driver!! The carbon plate will bring your launch down and you can change the weights to bring it down further. If you hit it good then stick with it.

As I’m reading your reply I’m also looking at the fitting manual for the Triton. I had forgotten that the CF plate will lower the flight. I’ll give that and the cotton balls a go next range trip. Thanks

I used pollyfill in mine that you would find at hobby lobby. It is the stuffing that is inside stuffed animals so you might have something around the house that will work. I use the carbon plate on the bottom that is 10 grams lighter than the titanium plate. I added 10 grams of pollyfill and it seems fill the head about right. Mine is still loud but I don't care, great driver!! The carbon plate will bring your launch down and you can change the weights to bring it down further. If you hit it good then stick with it.

so with budget golf almost giving them away I gave it a try. Got the RIP 50g stiff shaft in the 9degree.

My current gamer is a 2010 Cleveland DST driver in 10.5 with a stiff Diammi Red shaft. Nothing for me has beaten this club out of my bag. Golf shops send me home with this driver. The 47g shaft and sub 9oz driver creates swing speed yet the ball flight I get is wind Penetrating. I'd tried the Wilson FG5 driver and while I hit it straighter it was shorter. My golf buddy plays the Cleveland DST and he outdrives me 20 yards when I played the FG5 (that makes me mad)

So enter the Triton with a relatively light shaft but 1.5oz heavier overall vs my cleveland at the range on a 47degree day. I was basically able to reach my normal summer temp distance and my control was a bit better. I ended up with the heavy plate installed at 8degrees with a draw bias on shaft setting and with the weights. The thought that I could get my distance in a heavier club is exciting. can't wait to put my 11g weight out of my FG5 in this bad boy and play more.

I hit about 10 balls with the Adilla RIP 52g shaft that was so much like my flight on good Cleveland DST shots that it gave me hope. Feel I got so lucky in random shaft selection. by contrast, my FG5 tends to have much backspin. Distance in a driver at least with my swing is about reducing the backspin.

60 degrees, standing water on fairways and 20mph sustained wind but played anyway and hit some great drives with the Triton. Will be in my bag in 2019. Hit a couple of drives into direct wind on 2 holes that were just nutted and the triton did not balloon. can't yet say it is the longest driver I've played but about as easy to hit as I've found and I was able to flight it down when I needed too

Just checking to see if anyone has a 12 gram weight they dont need anymore. Would love to stick in the heel of mine. I still love it.Of course I'm hard of hearing now from the sound but my wife said I always was.

Just checking to see if anyone has a 12 gram weight they dont need anymore. Would love to stick in the heel of mine. I still love it.Of course I'm hard of hearing now from the sound but my wife said I always was.

Hahaahhaaa...

Call Paul at Hunt Golf. I think he has a bunch of weights and sole plates left.

Call Paul at Hunt Golf. I think he has a bunch of weights and sole plates left.

Great idea. And a good excuse to cruise up to Burlington. Love his store.

I’m strictly a recreational hacker using an original none conforming 10.5 Triton. I’ve covered the alignment stripe with a perfectly cut and shaped vinyl carbon-fibre decal insert. Am using the carbon plate with 12 back, 6 toe, and 2 heel and 2 stretched cotton balls in the cavity. Am using Wilson Duo Soft balls. Been using this combo for 3 years and quite like the sound and performance (long, straight and pretty consistent. Not for everybody but works for me.
I also carry my 4 year old Great Big Bertha in the bag and switch periodically. My go to is the Triton.

JimRK;n8638222 said:
I’m strictly a recreational hacker using an original none conforming 10.5 Triton. I’ve covered the alignment stripe with a perfectly cut and shaped vinyl carbon-fibre decal insert. Am using the carbon plate with 12 back, 6 toe, and 2 heel and 2 stretched cotton balls in the cavity. Am using Wilson Duo Soft balls. Been using this combo for 3 years and quite like the sound and performance (long, straight and pretty consistent. Not for everybody but works for me.
I also carry my 4 year old Great Big Bertha in the bag and switch periodically. My go to is the Triton.

My Triton has been in the closet for a while but I took it to my lesson and hit it on the trackman. My Srixon Z-785 was the best out of the four drivers I was hitting but the Triton was a close second. Carrying around 260 with total distance in the 290 range. The time in the closet did not make it quieter HA.

Mine is still in the bag and may be for a long time. I've got mine cut down to 44 inches and with all the weights was able to retain my swing weight. I have tested it vs my inventory of drivers and it is better. I have recently been on trackman in PGA superstore in Myrtle Beach and I did not find anything better. Part of it is better contact with a 44 inch shaft so I know anything I purchase needs to be altered to cut it down and maintain the swing weight.

I was testing a shaft in my Mavrik driver today and have it dialed in. I decided to hit the Triton on the launch monitor to see how it would compare. The Triton is a bomber! Another year in my closet did nothing to mute the sound but the performance of this driver can not be denied. Wilson almost had it right with this club, they had the publicity of the tv show and a solid club. If it was not obnoxiously loud and had not been deemed illegal it could have been a huge hit.

I was testing a shaft in my Mavrik driver today and have it dialed in. I decided to hit the Triton on the launch monitor to see how it would compare. The Triton is a bomber! Another year in my closet did nothing to mute the sound but the performance of this driver can not be denied. Wilson almost had it right with this club, they had the publicity of the tv show and a solid club. If it was not obnoxiously loud and had not been deemed illegal it could have been a huge hit.

the sound and the stripe turned a lot away from this driver, but man it was so good on BS and I loved the adjustability you could get from it. It was a tinkerer's dream.

the sound and the stripe turned a lot away from this driver, but man it was so good on BS and I loved the adjustability you could get from it. It was a tinkerer's dream.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the skunk stripe. So its loud, illegal and ugly. Other than that its great :ROFLMAO:

Come on now. Triton was a disaster and believe me NO ONE outside a few message boards on the internet heard about it being illegal with a certain weight plate. The Cortex was also a flop and a horrible driver (MOI was horrible). If WS wants to be taken seriously it needs to stop getting guys off the street to design a driver. It's also REALLY bad when the guys you pay to play your stuff don't even use the drivers.

Come on now. Triton was a disaster and believe me NO ONE outside a few message boards on the internet heard about it being illegal with a certain weight plate. The Cortex was also a flop and a horrible driver (MOI was horrible). If WS wants to be taken seriously it needs to stop getting guys off the street to design a driver. It's also REALLY bad when the guys you pay to play your stuff don't even use the drivers.
Do you think Srixon and Mizuno have continued to struggle because their staff has opted into driver contracts, winners pools or gone a different way? I Do disagree on nobody knowing it wasn’t conforming. While the Usga handled that poorly, every golf publication put something out on it and Dicks, World Wide and Superstore pulled it from shelves and told customers that was the reason. That’s hard to rebound from.

While I think Wilson has done poorly the last 12 months, most of that is based on marketing.

Up until a year ago, their market share was increasing post Cortex. Although briefly.

I don’t think a company has done less with more than they have since that however. Winning a major with new irons and the messaging was muddy at best. They had some great r&d leadership which still hasn’t really been replaced. This latest golf ball launch was downright terrible.

I like choices and am rooting for them, but without the tv show and very little marketing outside a notah Begay tournament, you are basically living off sell in and that won’t last long.

We are going to have to disagree on the Cortex. There was way more good than bad with that club.

Well… I am bored this fall. eBayed a couple of Tritons and some Wilson M3 weights. Why not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t found magic in M1, M2 g2016 8.5), G400 Max, Epic Flash Sub Zero triple diamond or PXG 0311 Gen2 XF… I got nothing to lose and only fun to have

Well… I am bored this fall. eBayed a couple of Tritons and some Wilson M3 weights. Why not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t found magic in M1, M2 g2016 8.5), G400 Max, Epic Flash Sub Zero triple diamond or PXG 0311 Gen2 XF… I got nothing to lose and only fun to have
Buy earplugs too! ;)

Should be interesting at least! I still have mine and though it was supplanted by the Cortex (better performance AND sound), it was a way more solid performer than a lot of folks give it credit for.

Mine is still sitting in my backup bag alongside the 845s and original warbird sole 3 wood. I hit it about once a year and that is enough lol.

Back