Cobra Connect Review Thread

Good writeup T4K. Interesting thoughts that I had never thought of about distance and actually knowing it.

Great info T4k!
From a fellow wet coaster I know full well the frustrations of the short drives in winter.

Most of my drives were carries of 210-215. At my home course - a major fitting center - they say add 15% to winter numbers. I've found that to be accurate. So 210 winter = 241 summery carry. 241 might even be a little long for me on average. I found myself continuously doing the 15% math during the round and still feeling bad about the 210 type numbers. I had one drive that carried 229. That equates to a 263 carry. That's massive for me. I didn't feel the joy. Anyway, the review is about the device, not me. But I was aware of that emotional reaction to having the indisputable numbers and it made me think about the appeal of the device for the masses - who supposedly hit it even shorter than me.

Last edited:
Let's walk through the setup steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was an absolutely amazing post, and very well done. Super informative. Good job dude.

I forget one thing that was fun about having Cobra Connect today. I was able to play 3 or 4 balls off the tee and affirmatively test if anything was longer than the rest. That was nice.

I had my first round with the Cobra Connect today.

I have an old school iPhone 5, battery is maybe 6 months old.

I measured my battery strength and data usage level before and after the round. My battery went from 99% to 18% and I used .02 GB of data during today's 5 hour round. I took one call, checked email a few times and fiddled with the device while playing. Battery usage seemed high - I might put the phone on low battery mode before starting my round in the future.

The unit is incredibly easy to use. Turn it on, search for your course then put your phone in your pocket. To borrow a phrase from an infomercial "just set it and forget it."

Let's take a look at a screen shot:

b9e86bb8d194c6175c0b9874ca5ed422.png

There are several things worth noticing.

Cobra Connect turns your phone into a GPS device with overhead views of each hole.

Check out the vertical lines across the fairway. They relate to the King of the Hole game, which turns every hole into a long drive contest. The line closest to the hole is the longest drive recorded on the hole by a Cobra Connect user.

See the hole numbers at the top of the screen. The device advances holes as you play and you can also look ahead to see what future holes have in store for you.

In this picture notice the white circle:
907149704fe045bdf32d99e44e01b776.png

Drag your finger to get the exact distance from your location to anything on the course. (The device automatically gives you front/middle/back distances to the green when you stand over the ball after your tee shot)

Some subjective stuff:
The device didn't change holes a couple of times. It may have been my fault - I was exploring features and may have changed holes. It didn't seem to bring me automatically back to my current hole.

It was pretty sensitive about recording shots. I had one second shot where I hit like a 40 yard punch shot - in other words, not a full swing. It still recorded the shot to calculate my drive.

I like being able to get the overhead view of the course. I'm not sure I like knowing the exact distance of my drive on each hole, at least during the round...that's not my focus while I'm playing.

End of round driving stats, cumulative driving stats, emailed help are all TBD. I need to use the device more.

Finally, I wonder about the device. Do people that don't hit it a long way really want to be reminded how short they are on every hole? I have to admit, it wasn't my favorite thing today (cold and wet, zero roll). I guess it was nice to see exactly how far I fly the ball in 40* weather. And even though I objectively knew the numbers equated to my normal summer distances there was a subjective emotional reaction - it was a little depressing to see the raw numbers.

All in all, a good first outing.

Any questions?

Good thoughts on battery life and data, the yardage under the hole numbers, top right of your screen, if you touch it, it should help save battery life as it's the sleep/yardage mode (this is what I was discussing with Obedt) the screen shot looks like this:

c89463b8804d778b5a8f291dba54c281.jpg

I went through my last 2 rounds on the app. The first one was set at 11.5 weight forward and the second at 10.5, weight also forward. Longest drive and average were both with the 10.5

This could be a nice tool for tinkerers.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I went through my last 2 rounds on the app. The first one was set at 11.5 weight forward and the second at 10.5, weight also forward. Longest drive and average were both with the 10.5

That is really cool.

What was your distance gain?

What was your distance gain?
4 on average, 9 on the longest drive (236 to 245).

Im going to be testing this out on Wednesday and pretty excited about it.

Im going to be testing this out on Wednesday and pretty excited about it.

Nice. Did you download the app and pair it to a club yet? Which driver?

I'm a little excited to get this out again on Saturday. It will come in very handy during ball testing. I know exactly how far I hit driver with 3 other balls and will have that data to compare it to the Z Star.

Looking forward to the feedback guys.

Hope to see more reviews. I hope this turns into a game changer for the golf community

I will have the CobraConnect out for a round this weekend. Is there anything specific people would like to see or have me focus on?

I will have the CobraConnect out for a round this weekend. Is there anything specific people would like to see or have me focus on?

Love to have you check on consistency and how accurate you think it is

Looking forward to seeing how it works for ya frank

I was poking around the app and found fine stuff (I think Obedt and OiTW may have spoken to this but it's new to me).

The app gives you a Smart driver assessment, which is a measure it your distance and consistency as compared to people of similar age and handicap:

[edit: the screen shots show my full name so I deleted them. The app gives you two graphs which show you your typical distance dispersion (short to long) and average distance. I happened to be especially good Saturday at having consistent drives]

Who cares if I was winter short off the tee, I was damn consistent about it. 99th percentile - suck that all you other 50 year old 11 handicaps :)

I also like this screen which gives you a concise place to see your driver accuracy. Notice I'm 2 left, 5 fairways and 5 right...that tells me the Cobra Connect is very accurate because those misses right were barely in the first cut.

bb78a3c798e1d081934ac56229a7517f.png

ef19bb77779e244db0c8185a437d5bd0.png

So this is good stuff. Whereas tracking my drives during a round may not be my thing, this is. Usually I have to enter my driving accuracy info manually into my handicap system. This is so much easier ... just play the game then look for your stats.

Last edited:
So this is good stuff. hereas tracking my drives during a round may not be my thing, this is. Usually I have to enter my driving accuracy info manually into my handicap system. This is so much easier ... just play the game then look for your stats.

Great thoughts all around tequila. I'm in this same camp - it will be very rare for me to share a drive with friends. The driving handicap calculations, track of misses, smart average are all useful metrics for me though. In addition, and you mentioned this in another thread, the tool can be used for ball testing. If you're not 100% sure of your set-up (weight position, loft) this provides real world data to validate that as well. Cobra Connect is kinda like the F7 driver - it first introduces itself as something cool & fun, but it's the substance that leaves a lasting impression. For the Cobra Connect it's the tool package for tracking my tee game. For the club it's the consistency I get even during bad swing days.

The downside for me is that I get a ton of work done from my phone. Having an app use a good % of my battery hurts. I'm going to try to use the battery saver mode OITW showed us and compare. I'm really hoping this limits the battery usage. I've hit driver on about 40 holes and have had to edit 3 times. 2 of those landed in fluffy sand and that was probably the issue so accuracy otherwise has been solid on my end. Will pay more attention on Saturday's round and comment on that.

Sorry for my lack of activity recently. Have been to the range a couple times but want/need to get more rounds in.

I'd like to see some stats side by side with a laser to see how close they are, if any of you guys can do that it would be appreciated!

Sorry if I missed this but is it difficult to go in and make an edit? It seems like it could be a hassle to go back in and do that.

I wonder can you buy this same unit and grip to put in any club?

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

I wonder can you buy this same unit and grip to put in any club?

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

I think you would have to find one on the bay. I went out to Cobra.com to buy a second shaft but the website didn't list the F7 shaft options or Arccos grips for the shafts that were shown. Per Cobra CS the next day they aren't selling components separately because they don't want people putting the Arccos grip on other drivers and using the tool. Edit: the F7 shafts are now listed but the Arccos grips aren't.

Last edited:
Back