Cobra Connect Review Thread

Super interested in something like this to track my improvement , had a look at some of those tags that screw into the handle but not convinced I wouldn't lose one

Being that all the tech to the app is in the sensor, I would bet it would work on another driver, after all, Arccos was meant to be moved from club to club and still be useable.

Also, Arccos did release a driver only version, our very own Canadan reviewed it on the homepage.

Correct. In this instance it's about the cobra and the software and stuff. Should be fun to follow.

Very cool idea but i am a little skeptical. I love the F7 driver and am looking to get one if i can. If the tech is gimmicky or you dont want it, can the driver be purchased without?

Very cool idea but i am a little skeptical. I love the F7 driver and am looking to get one if i can. If the tech is gimmicky or you dont want it, can the driver be purchased without?

No sir, but you could just change the grip, or never use it.

Honestly, it's something that would not be noticed at all. The only reasons I can think of for removing this is in case you use another system like GameGolf that needs a different device be attached on the grip end or simply prefer another grip. Cobra Connect is not noticeable in the least; it's the most discreet sensor on the market BY FAR.

Is there a major difference in the Cobra Connect version vs. regular Arccos?

I'm also curious to see feedback on what you guys think about playing with the phone in your pocket. That's one thing I'm not very excited for. I have a pretty large phone and it seems like that could be annoying.

Honestly, it's something that would not be noticed at all. The only reasons I can think of for removing this is in case you use another system like GameGolf that needs a different device be attached on the grip end or simply prefer another grip. Cobra Connect is not noticeable in the least; it's the most discreet sensor on the market BY FAR.

Agreed. Looking at the F7 grip yesterday, if I didn't specifically know to look for the sensor, I most likely never would have noticed it.

I'm also curious to see feedback on what you guys think about playing with the phone in your pocket. That's one thing I'm not very excited for. I have a pretty large phone and it seems like that could be annoying.

I can't answer the first question completely. It's possible that as more rounds are logged more Cobra-specific features are enabled. As of now, I don't think there is much of any difference. Both use the same app and functionality appears to be the same as the one Canadan reviewed.

The second part - about having the phone in the pocket - I'm short and have a big phone (5.5"). No physical issues swinging the club with the phone in the front left pocket. The only problem I did have was that I got tons of calls that day and some came up mid-swing. Those did bother me.

What happens when you change grips? Is it easy to reinstall the tracker?

What happens when you change grips? Is it easy to reinstall the tracker?

There is an aide in this link for installing the tracker:
http://www.cobragolf.com/tryconnect

Keep in mind, the grip has to be Cobra Connect compatible, meaning it has to have the slot in the butt end to fit the sensor.

It think this is a great way for an OEM like Cobra to integrate technology into their clubs. I would like to see if they are able to track if they sale more clubs because of the tech or if it does not make a difference.

Reached out to Arccos on the Cobra Connect since I have the original version and I was wondering how it works, they said I can add another club and pair it and use the other shaft/sensor for something else.

Pretty happy about that, I think it will be strange with the original sensors on most of my clubs and the new sensor on the driver shaft.

I'm curious how the Cobra Connect social aspect works in tandem with the regular system. Looking forward to trying this out on Saturday.

Had the opportunity to get this out yesterday for the maiden voyage.

It was in the low 40s

I used the Cobra Connect for the front 9 with the fujikura xlr8 and the 12g weight in the back for high trajectory.

At the turn I switched shafts out for the MFS White Tie that I'm testing and my regular Arccos Units.

I was having trouble pairing sensors to each app. I wanted to be able to use the Cobra Connect for the entire round, but the difficulty pairing was something I hadn't seen with Arccos sensors before.

My longest drive on the front 9 was 249 yards "Smart distance" (basically average distance on all of the drivers discounting outliers) was 237 yards, my driving handicap was bad at 30+ as I went 2/6 FIR with 1 missed left and 4 missed right.

f91403d71bf3b557a014d74b9b52dc70.jpg

144fe6f265783e4c501a59f0804ebdc8.jpg

On the back 9 distance wasn't that great, as I said we were fighting the wind for a lot of the day. My Smart Distance on the back was 220 yards, my longest drive on the back was 234. My FIRs on the back was 2 I missed 3 right and 2 left.

So my biggest struggle was accuracy. The course is a pretty wide open course and the fairways forgiving, so to have some of the misses I did was a bit frustrating.
spent with this I'm confidant though, that with the right shaft and some solid range time this will be the driver that I game this year.

Any questions, let me know.

Just placing my thoughts here that I putt in the F7 thread.

Also battery life for the round was very draining. More so than with the general arccos.

I did not have any issues with drives not registering with the Cobra Connect sensor either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will game this with the fujikura because of the Cobra Connect.

The new sensor is a HUGE upgrade over the old arccos version 1 sensors you can't tell it's there.

543b58f411f590a2fe58e5223ea70b3b.jpg

19fc524ad19a6fc4e711432acb29ea73.jpg

I've been reading / researching. Here's what I think I've found so far.

Arccos is all clubs, Cobra is driver only.

Obedt and OITW touched on another big one - the sensor is integrated into the grip instead of being an external device.

And then there are propriety add on features for CobraConnect:
-Long Drive game. Basically every hole in the world becomes a long drive contest for everyone with CobraConnect. The GOS unit show two lines across the fairway,myelinated you how far you need to drive the ball. The person with the long drive gets a little icon next to their name (????)

- Integrated to social media and email. Let's you share a drive or driving stats from the app.

- Automated help. Eventually the device gathers data about your driving and send you help. For example, you could get a video of Ricky Fowler telling you how to not hit slices.

I think there is more but I'm still digging.

I got over to my home course this morning and demo'd the F7 at an outdoor bay. I couldn't use CobraConnect (you need to walk to your ball and hit a second shot, which enables the device to mark the end point of your drive). But what i did notice is that you'd never know the Arccos device is at the end the grip unless someone told you. There's absolutely zero change to the club's weighting or feel because of the sensor.

Last edited:
Have 2 more rounds under my belt. There are some pluses on this device -

1. How discreet it is. Cobra and Arccos did a great job on the design. Even if you don't plan on using it, there is no minus to having the chip integrated to the grip.

2. Accuracy. The last 2 rounds I have not interfered with the app. For the most part I've left the phone in my pocket and tried to let it do it's thing. There is one drive from yesterday's round where it short-changed me some 12 yards. Other than that I think it's been accurate on everything with one exception - Fairway bunkers that have fluffy sand. Even if you catch the ball clean (for the most part) the device could not detect that impact. I've had at least 3 such drives in the last 2 rounds and they all had these issues. It's a minor item - just avoid fairway bunkers :D . Needs to be mentioned again, the sand in these 2 courses was not firm or packed at all. In other conditions this may be a non-issue. In these cases just go back to the hole where you landed in a FW bunker and edit the drive. It's a straight forward process.

3. Stat tracking - the smart distance, while humbling, is very accurate imo. It gives you an idea what your typical drive at each course is. It also tracks your misses (L or R) so you can view historically if you are improving or if there is a steady miss.

Key minuses -
1. My phone battery isn't good to begin with, but this app is a HOG on it. I tried to interfere with the phone as little as possible (for me) and the phone didn't last either of the last 2 rounds. Both were 4+ hours, so that's something to keep in mind. I think that if the round were 3 hours or less this wouldn't be as much of an issue, since the phone died around hole 16 both days. For me, rounds are typically drawn out affairs unfortunately. I add the caveat that my phone battery life sucks to begin with. However, I typically use Golfshot and don't have issues. I'm guessing the app constantly listening for impact is the culprit. Having a newer phone with good battery life would help, as would a small charger in your pocket that can be used mid round on. If I plan on continuing to use the app this will probably be the route to go.

Have 2 more rounds under my belt. There are some pluses on this device -

1. How discreet it is. Cobra and Arccos did a great job on the design. Even if you don't plan on using it, there is no minus to having the chip integrated to the grip.

2. Accuracy. The last 2 rounds I have not interfered with the app. For the most part I've left the phone in my pocket and tried to let it do it's thing. There is one drive from yesterday's round where it short-changed me some 12 yards. Other than that I think it's been accurate on everything with one exception - Fairway bunkers that have fluffy sand. Even if you catch the ball clean (for the most part) the device could not detect that impact. I've had at least 3 such drives in the last 2 rounds and they all had these issues. It's a minor item - just avoid fairway bunkers :D . Needs to be mentioned again, the sand in these 2 courses was not firm or packed at all. In other conditions this may be a non-issue. In these cases just go back to the hole where you landed in a FW bunker and edit the drive. It's a straight forward process.

3. Stat tracking - the smart distance, while humbling, is very accurate imo. It gives you an idea what your typical drive at each course is. It also tracks your misses (L or R) so you can view historically if you are improving or if there is a steady miss.

Key minuses -
1. My phone battery isn't good to begin with, but this app is a HOG on it. I tried to interfere with the phone as little as possible (for me) and the phone didn't last either of the last 2 rounds. Both were 4+ hours, so that's something to keep in mind. I think that if the round were 3 hours or less this wouldn't be as much of an issue, since the phone died around hole 16 both days. For me, rounds are typically drawn out affairs unfortunately. I add the caveat that my phone battery life sucks to begin with. However, I typically use Golfshot and don't have issues. I'm guessing the app constantly listening for impact is the culprit. Having a newer phone with good battery life would help, as would a small charger in your pocket that can be used mid round on. If I plan on continuing to use the app this will probably be the route to go.

Do you leave it on the hole view or put it on yardage? That is the "power save" mode on the reg arccos

Do you leave it on the hole view or put it on yardage? That is the "power save" mode on the reg arccos

I just left it default (hole view). The screen should turn off though.

As of this afternoon I'm officially a member of the Cobra F7 / Cobra Connect club. Here is what you get and what you see when you open the box.

The instructions are very straight forward. They appear to focus on setup and not cover some of the app's other features. That's a bit of a curious choice but perhaps the app is so intuitive to use that those other instructions aren't necessary

d81d1b47c72945dd0cc0d7791b1d4441.jpg

116126e8b8689de0c3673c3b26d2e969.jpg

236c661f45211300c9b844f18f877c30.jpg

The end of the grip is covered in plastic that says this
6749ff7918d0c04c642025a1e49a1bad.jpg

Before and after pictures of the Arccos device being covered with plastic

17602207946e50af36736b93eb06f101.jpg

a99d5af4f63706ad0e6d7cc05e59de06.jpg

If you decide to buy a Cobra Connect enabled driver be sure the device is covered as shown in the picture above. The device is activated by exposure to sunlight. The battery's 2 year guarantee will likely be put to the test if the club spends excessive time outside your bag.

More to come later tonight on getting set up...

Let's walk through the setup steps.

First, you go to Cobra.com to create an account. After that you download the app from an Apple Store (or wherever heathen Steve Jobs haters go).

The pictures walk you through each step:

a49de904f5206092614fe49da4bcec52.png

75f8fd3bf7622a6015ee37510698c961.png

7ebb96e04f2ae3bb698aceaf896a7980.png

[I deleted a screen shot here because it displayed my full name. You are prompted to enter your handicap (full number only), DOB, right/left hand and number of rounds played.]

At this point I believe you need the club / sensor near your phone

6314c054054eeebb79603d6460183b69.png

0c67c90a93d55ef754580358eb2c4840.png

f4dd13d2dbd97947c384e44dd04159c2.png

68bb9f9ae210c0a4142aa21345cd6c78.png

b9814e65b302e69fb5dd3a7378b01f4a.png

909bd46ded8a6ad9e41c5fd5d3ab4b51.png

ffcb9333a74eb0f69f51344532077efd.png

After this step the device finds your closest course and invites you to start a round
19ef17cdb5d7e93c52de338db4f54f56.png

And you get a confirmation email:

877436590ad07049542b430dc5b6b5ab.png

Total elapsed time was less than 10 minutes, and that's with taking screen shots, accidentally turning my phone off repeatedly while taking screen shots, etc.

Last edited:
Great post. I feel like that golf screen on your phone is missing an app though.

But that was a really informative post.

Good stuff, T4K. Makes me wish I had waited to buy the F7 instead of F6.

I just left it default (hole view). The screen should turn off though.

Yup but the yardage mode with save battery life it's like a sleep mode

Whoa! T4K with the killer updates, well done dude.

Great posts and pics T4K. Looking forward to seeing how well it works for you out on the course.

I had my first round with the Cobra Connect today.

I have an old school iPhone 5, battery is maybe 6 months old.

I measured my battery strength and data usage level before and after the round. My battery went from 99% to 18% and I used .02 GB of data during today's 5 hour round. I took one call, checked email a few times and fiddled with the device while playing. Battery usage seemed high - I might put the phone on low battery mode before starting my round in the future.

The unit is incredibly easy to use. Turn it on, search for your course then put your phone in your pocket. To borrow a phrase from an infomercial "just set it and forget it."

Let's take a look at a screen shot:

b9e86bb8d194c6175c0b9874ca5ed422.png

There are several things worth noticing.

Cobra Connect turns your phone into a GPS device with overhead views of each hole.

Check out the vertical lines across the fairway. They relate to the King of the Hole game, which turns every hole into a long drive contest. The line closest to the hole is the longest drive recorded on the hole by a Cobra Connect user.

See the hole numbers at the top of the screen. The device advances holes as you play and you can also look ahead to see what future holes have in store for you.

In this picture notice the white circle:
907149704fe045bdf32d99e44e01b776.png

Drag your finger to get the exact distance from your location to anything on the course. (The device automatically gives you front/middle/back distances to the green when you stand over the ball after your tee shot)

Some subjective stuff:
The device didn't change holes a couple of times. It may have been my fault - I was exploring features and may have changed holes. It didn't seem to bring me automatically back to my current hole.

It was pretty sensitive about recording shots. I had one second shot where I hit like a 40 yard punch shot - in other words, not a full swing. It still recorded the shot to calculate my drive.

I like being able to get the overhead view of the course. I'm not sure I like knowing the exact distance of my drive on each hole, at least during the round...that's not my focus while I'm playing.

End of round driving stats, cumulative driving stats, emailed help are all TBD. I need to use the device more.

Finally, I wonder about the device. Do people that don't hit it a long way really want to be reminded how short they are on every hole? I have to admit, it wasn't my favorite thing today (cold and wet, zero roll). I guess it was nice to see exactly how far I fly the ball in 40* weather. And even though I objectively knew the numbers equated to my normal summer distances there was a subjective emotional reaction - it was a little depressing to see the raw numbers.

All in all, a good first outing.

Any questions?

Back