Cobra KING OS Hybrids

Any issues out of the rough with this one given the head is larger ?

Any issues out of the rough with this one given the head is larger ?

It's not often I'm hitting a 20* hybrid out of deep rough - I'll usually take my lumps and move on from there, or if I think I can get the clubhead on it, I'll hit the smaller 23* hybrid. That said, I've had zero issues out of light rough when I've hit the OS out of there.

It's not often I'm hitting a 20* hybrid out of deep rough - I'll usually take my lumps and move on from there, or if I think I can get the clubhead on it, I'll hit the smaller 23* hybrid. That said, I've had zero issues out of light rough when I've hit the OS out of there.

Very similar story for me - I play my next hybrid up which has a smaller head and different profile if I am in deeper rough. I've had no problems with this one from the lighter stuff.

I would love to find a LH one to give a few swings. No shops around me have ever had any in stock and I can’t even find them on sale on eBay. I’m going to guess Cobra had struggled to sell them. It’s hard to find much information about them outside the users posting here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this one has kind of been an odd line. I think their price is keeping them from more stores carrying them. I’ve seen them in one grass roots store and that’s it. Even scares on eBay.

I’ve had a search since they’ve come out and have only seen 3 used ones to date.

Time to resurrect this thread ... I see that prices have come down on the Cobra OS Hybrids, and I'm wondering if everyone who commented before on these clubs were still gaming them? I'm always looking for easy to hit (elevate) hybrids that are consistent distance-wise, and these OS Hybrids immediately caught my attention when they were introduced in 2017. Right now, I'm gaming Ping G Hybrids (4H, 5H and 6H), and was wondering if anyone has hit both models and are able to compare/contrast ... anyone? Thanks in advance for any/all responses!

Mike
MPM1960

Time to resurrect this thread ... I see that prices have come down on the Cobra OS Hybrids, and I'm wondering if everyone who commented before on these clubs were still gaming them? I'm always looking for easy to hit (elevate) hybrids that are consistent distance-wise, and these OS Hybrids immediately caught my attention when they were introduced in 2017. Right now, I'm gaming Ping G Hybrids (4H, 5H and 6H), and was wondering if anyone has hit both models and are able to compare/contrast ... anyone? Thanks in advance for any/all responses!

Mike
MPM1960

Mine is still in my bag. I’m putting a slightly heavier shaft in there, but still love the head. It’s one of my favorite ever tee clubs and what I go to when the driver isn’t going well.

I don’t take the club out of the deep rough often just because I’m usually grabbing more loft there but it’s been great off the turf as well.

I’ve got this in the 3-4 so It falls more into the distance than precision category for me, but when I had my fitting last year distances and ball speed were pretty consistent swing to swing.

This will probably be a bit bigger down by the ball than the G hybrids.

I'm still gaming mine... the OS 5-6h with the standard UST Recoil 460 F3 shaft. I have the confidence to hit the ball out of pretty much anything within reason with this club. Cannot say this about any other hybrid I've ever gamed.

Earlier this summer I tried the 4/5 for a minute. Honestly I never gave it much run because it came in all scratched up.

I’ve been struggling lately with my 19* 5w so I thought I’ve give the 3/4h King OS a try. It’s got the 460 ES Recoil F3 in it. Normally me and Recoils don’t jive. But today I had a chance to get this on the course cold with zero range time.

1st attempt.
Par 5 2nd shot. I was about 189 out according to my laser. It’s a hole where normally if I hit my 4h I tend to hook it into the pond that guards the left side of the green. So normally I just lay up in front of the pond with an iron. I aimed just right of the green with the King (normally draw the ball) and hit a decent one that landed on the berm just right of the green. I threw down another ball and carried the berm just past pin high. 195 according to Game Golf.

Next time i tried it.
Par 5 layup shot. Once again pond down the left so I worry about the big hook.
I aimed just right of center fw and hit 4 balls. All playable with a tight dispersion. Long too with my longest at 200 nearly all carry (soggy cooler day). I’d say my shortest was 190 of the 4 balls.

Right now Game golf shows my 41.25” 19* 5w as having a 188 “typical” distance so this King OS is showing promise as my longest down club. I was playing it at 19*.

What’s crazy is the slower I felt like I swung the club the higher and longer it went.

Last edited:
Earlier this summer I tried the 4/5 for a minute. Honestly I never gave it much run because it came in all scratched up.

I’ve been struggling lately with my 19* 5w so I thought I’ve give the 3/4h King OS a try. It’s got the 460 ES Recoil F3 in it. Normally me and Recoils don’t jive. But today I had a chance to get this on the course cold with zero range time.

1st attempt.
Par 5 2nd shot. I was about 189 out according to my laser. It’s a hole where normally if I hit my 4h I tend to hook it into the pond that guards the left side of the green. So normally I just lay up in front of the pond with an iron. I aimed just right of the green with the King (normally draw the ball) and hit a decent one that landed on the berm just right of the green. I threw down another ball and carried the berm just past pin high. 195 according to Game Golf.

Next time i tried it.
Par 5 layup shot. Once again pond down the left so I worry about the big hook.
I aimed just right of center fw and hit 4 balls. All playable with a tight dispersion. Long too with my longest at 200 nearly all carry (soggy cooler day). I’d say my shortest was 190 of the 4 balls.

Right now Game golf shows my 41.25” 19* 5w as having a 188 “typical” distance so this King OS is showing promise as my longest down club. I was playing it at 19*.

What’s crazy is the slower I felt like I swung the club the higher and longer it went.

For whatever reason I never did stick with the 3/4h, but decided to order a 4/5h this week with the Recoil in F2 flex. I like a slightly bigger hybrid head so the shape of this one has always appealed to me.
Even though I play a pretty firm stiff shaft in my driver and R flex in everything else, the Recoil in F2 seems to fit me better. Anyhow I took it to the range today and liked what I saw. Tried a few settings. At the low end of the loft range I liked the 22.5* draw setting. At the high loft range the 25* setting worked best. I have been gaming Exotics Xrail hybrids (previously Trilogy) for the past 7-8 yrs and nothing has been able to beat them out for consistency, distance and accuracy. Looking forward to see how this one fares.

Think I still have a head shoved in a drawer somewhere on the workbench.

Had a chance to do a little bake off today with the 4/5h against my 20/23/26* hybrids.

Hitting 3 balls into a green:
0/3 with my 3h (meh)
2/3 with my 4h (both lower shots that bounced on; 1 chunk)
0/3 with my 5h (great contact on all 3 shots; 2 came up just short, 1 miss left)
2/3 - King OS set to 22.5D* (1 miss left, 1 carried on, 1 bounced on)
2/3 - King OS set to 23.5* (1 pin high, 1 bounced on, 1 was pin high but missed left)
2/3 - King OS set to 25* (1 on, 1 bounced on, 1 just short)

So that was 2/9 GIR (and both bounced on) with my gamers; 6/9 with the King OS
hmmmm

So far I have amassed the 3/4 and 4/5 King OS's.
Put them into play Saturday for the first time.

On a par 3 I didn't quite catch the 4/5 set to 25* but it still managed to rollout to about 20' for an easy par.

Since I am on the brink with fairway woods right now, I used the 3/4 as my par 5 2nd shot club. I hit it 4 times all with acceptable results. On the approach on 18 I had 192 out and hit a lower draw that bounced in front of the green and rolled through the green. Managed to chip in for a bird.

Usually whenever I test a new hybrid they work great on the range but my trusty Xrails always prevail on the course. These are hanging around longer than I anticipated.
Anyone got a 5/6 for sale? If so PM me. On the lookout.

My plan is to replace my 5w and go with an all hybrid set of 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 set to 19/23.5/26.5 as long as the gaps work out.

So far I have amassed the 3/4 and 4/5 King OS's.
Put them into play Saturday for the first time.

On a par 3 I didn't quite catch the 4/5 set to 25* but it still managed to rollout to about 20' for an easy par.

Since I am on the brink with fairway woods right now, I used the 3/4 as my par 5 2nd shot club. I hit it 4 times all with acceptable results. On the approach on 18 I had 192 out and hit a lower draw that bounced in front of the green and rolled through the green. Managed to chip in for a bird.

Usually whenever I test a new hybrid they work great on the range but my trusty Xrails always prevail on the course. These are hanging around longer than I anticipated.
Anyone got a 5/6 for sale? If so PM me. On the lookout.

My plan is to replace my 5w and go with an all hybrid set of 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 set to 19/23.5/26.5 as long as the gaps work out.

Erock,

I'm not using the King OS, but am finding that a hybrid set up at top of the bag is working well for me. I know the 19* and 23* clubs work well as I've had these for almost 2 years now. The 19* is my max advance club or pulled when I need 175-180 (not a long hitter LOL). The 23* adjusted down goes 165-170. The others ones I've had less time. My hope is the 25* will go 155-160 and the 27* adjusted up 145-150. These gap into my iron set 6 iron.

I'm not carrying any fairway woods right now, but would consider putting a 3 or 4 wood into the bag instead of a wedge if it were as reliable and went a gapping distance longer than the 19* hybrid.

Dave

Erock,

I'm not using the King OS, but am finding that a hybrid set up at top of the bag is working well for me. I know the 19* and 23* clubs work well as I've had these for almost 2 years now. The 19* is my max advance club or pulled when I need 175-180 (not a long hitter LOL). The 23* adjusted down goes 165-170. The others ones I've had less time. My hope is the 25* will go 155-160 and the 27* adjusted up 145-150. These gap into my iron set 6 iron.

I'm not carrying any fairway woods right now, but would consider putting a 3 or 4 wood into the bag instead of a wedge if it were as reliable and went a gapping distance longer than the 19* hybrid.

Dave

Dave I totally get where you are coming from. Not a long hitter either.
I have battled fairway woods over the years and have finally determined they are simply stroke burners for me. I would say with a 5w I might flush one...2 are usually acceptable results and 2 are either fat or thin duffs.
The risk is just not worth the extra couple of yards. Also I had a bad tendency to over hook my fairway woods too and launch was becoming an issue with my current swing.

Since removing the 5w and 7w I have replaced my Xrail hybrids with the King OS 3/4 and 4/5 as mentioned above. I think I found a sweet spot with the lofts.
Playing them at 20.5D and 25*. The 20.5 I use as my longest down club which on the course has gotten me anywhere from 175 up to 215 depending on quality strike and conditions.
The 25* seems to cover the 168-172 yd carry shot.

So far I am really liking the Kings.

Still on the lookout for a 5/6 as well. I'd like to play them all at their stated lofts of 20.5, 23.5 and 26.5 which I think will gap well with my current setup.

I found a used 5-6H to go with the King OS combo set. I have to sort out gapping now. I have 3-4H, 4-5H, 6-GW and 5-6H is in transit. I think I'll set the hybrids up as 19.5D, 22.5D, and 25.5D into the 26* 6 iron.

Dave

dthrog00;n8882462 said:
I found a used 5-6H to go with the King OS combo set. I have to sort out gapping now. I have 3-4H, 4-5H, 6-GW and 5-6H is in transit. I think I'll set the hybrids up as 19.5D, 22.5D, and 25.5D into the 26* 6 iron.

Dave

Nice ... This is where I am at too. I just got my 5/6 head in and built the Recoil shaft to match my other two. At first I was playing them at the draw settings but now after a couple rounds I am playing them at 19/22/25. My 6i loft is 26* and it seems to gap well. Also I have shortened them (-3/4") too since I shorten all my clubs and they seem effortless to hit cleanly.

I allocate 190/180/170 for them (with my 6i being my 160 yd club). what I like is they are not as hook prone as my previous hybrids.
At address playing them in their lowest loft position seems to open up the face. As long as I trust it and leave it there, it's a nice high baby draw.
On the course Saturday I was 1/1 GIR with the 5/6 and used the 3/4 and 4/5 for par 5 2nd shots that got me between 180 and 200 each time. Best of all no duffs or big snap hooks like I had with my 5w.

erock9174;n8890609 said:
Nice ... This is where I am at too. I just got my 5/6 head in and built the Recoil shaft to match my other two. At first I was playing them at the draw settings but now after a couple rounds I am playing them at 19/22/25. My 6i loft is 26* and it seems to gap well. Also I have shortened them (-3/4") too since I shorten all my clubs and they seem effortless to hit cleanly.

I allocate 190/180/170 for them (with my 6i being my 160 yd club). what I like is they are not as hook prone as my previous hybrids.
At address playing them in their lowest loft position seems to open up the face. As long as I trust it and leave it there, it's a nice high baby draw.
On the course Saturday I was 1/1 GIR with the 5/6 and used the 3/4 and 4/5 for par 5 2nd shots that got me between 180 and 200 each time. Best of all no duffs or big snap hooks like I had with my 5w.

Cool, having it come together is a great feeling.

Dave

While not the same models as you two (I'm in the F7), I do love the Cobra hybrids / fairways, so I'm fully in agreement with you.

After my 6i (Cleveland CBX - these go a long way with a good hit), I'm currently going with hybrids 4/5 @23.5°, 3/4 @20.5°, 2/3 @ 17.5°. These are a really solid setup, forgiving and consistent, and they allow me to cover 175-225 yards without too much worry. It does change your outlook/approach to holes when something >180 yards away isn't a lottery.

Unfortunately my love affair with the King hybrids is over.
While they flew long and launched nicely, I had issues with the larger head off uneven lies as well as in even light rough, compared to my Exotics XRails which have been in the bag for years now.
So the Xrails are back in the bag. I worked on my setup and hand position with those and it remedied my recent hook issues I was experiencing.

I moved off them too. I like the 816 H1 better and find they gap with irons better. King OS hybrids and irons were a swing and a miss :( I returned the 5-6H and am going to flip the set.

Dave

Oops I did it again. Golf Discount has these new for $79 today until 9pm on a Flash sale.
I always liked the 3/4 as a FW replacement. The head is large so you gave to pick and choose your spots but it’s great on even lies and off the tee as a layup club. Looking forward to trying it again. Finding more and more Cobra in my bag these days along with Tour Edge.

Oops I did it again. Golf Discount has these new for $79 today until 9pm on a Flash sale.
I always liked the 3/4 as a FW replacement. The head is large so you gave to pick and choose your spots but it’s great on even lies and off the tee as a layup club. Looking forward to trying it again. Finding more and more Cobra in my bag these days along with Tour Edge.
They’re fun. I’ve still got a head somewhere in the work bench drawers. But man. I could draw these like no ones business.

Back