TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

Spoke to the Sales guy at Edwin Watts and he said they cannot keep them in stock and orders were back logged 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm hearing the same - at least a 4 week delay on orders.

Spoke to the Sales guy at Edwin Watts and he said they cannot keep them in stock and orders were back logged 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm hearing the same - at least a 4 week delay on orders.

I hope its because they are selling well and not any issues. As we've seen with some releases, the backorder status comes with the belief they are sold, but really there are other issues. So with that in mind, I really hope it's because they are selling well, and I want to him them.

I hope its because they are selling well and not any issues. As we've seen with some releases, the backorder status comes with the belief they are sold, but really there are other issues. So with that in mind, I really hope it's because they are selling well, and I want to him them.

Yep. Already went down this road with Ping this year on the botched G400 launch.

Yep. Already went down this road with Ping this year on the botched G400 launch.

exactly. And let's face it, TM has had some issues with their irons in recent times.

exactly. And let's face it, TM has had some issues with their irons in recent times.
If it's simply an inventory issue, can you blame TM for going the other way from their issues in the past? In order words, having too low of a supply instead of a surplus as in prior years?

If it's simply an inventory issue, can you blame TM for going the other way from their issues in the past? In order words, having too low of a supply instead of a surplus as in prior years?

not one bit.

He did indicate it was because they were selling so well and to him TM has always been a bit slow on Custom orders and a lot of the people spending that kind of money want something special be it length or grips, etc.

Well i got my 790 today, i couldn't pick them up Monday, so i had a chance to hit 30 balls , basically u hit the 8 ,7, and 3 in against my gamers, i have no numbers but for some odd reason and it may be today only, i felt like i was finding the centers alot easier on the 790 , wick too me by surprise but felt very impressive, hopefully u can get to the range before i play Friday, more to come
I have the custom px 5.5 shafts in mine

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

FWIW. Directly from a friend at TMAG. They are waiting on more heads. They went conservative with the initial order. No QA problem with them or shaft delivery from any OEM.

Expect to ship all current orders by Nov 22. But back orders are already taking a lot of that shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my P790's for a couple weeks, I ordered them direct from TM with the stock steel shafts all stock settings length and lie, Just checked length on the clubs today and they are all 1/4" long based on the specs for stock steel shafted irons, they all seem to have been made to the graphite shaft specs 7 iron is 37". Has anyone else seen this? I am going to call customer service and check on it.

Spent a little time with the P730 tonight. I freaking likey!
If a guy was in the market for a fresh set of blades I'm not sure how he'd pick between Apex MB, P730, MP18, and the host of other options. They are all sooo good.

I have had my P790's for a couple weeks, I ordered them direct from TM with the stock steel shafts all stock settings length and lie, Just checked length on the clubs today and they are all 1/4" long based on the specs for stock steel shafted irons, they all seem to have been made to the graphite shaft specs 7 iron is 37". Has anyone else seen this? I am going to call customer service and check on it.

I thought these were 1/4 longer as standard? My fitter felt I needed 1/4 longer but since they came in at that length I was fine.

The P790’s are scary easy to hit and long. They are so enjoyable to play with and that was only my first round in 30mph winds which was not fun. Will give them a proper run out tomorrow.

I thought these were 1/4 longer as standard? My fitter felt I needed 1/4 longer but since they came in at that length I was fine.

According to information provided on the respective sites ( Taylormade, PING and Titleist) the P790's are shorter in length across the board when compared to the AP3's and I200's

According to information provided on the respective sites ( Taylormade, PING and Titleist) the P790's are shorter in length across the board when compared to the AP3's and I200's

Apologies I’m coming from Mizuno so they are 1/4 longer than them as standard

The 730s are of course gorgeous. But the 790s are awesome looking and in that sweet spot of distance and forgiveness in a smaller profile.

If it were me I think I’d probably combo between the 750 long irons and 730 mid/short irons. That’s what I did in college. 2-4 as 714 CB and 5-PW as MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you look at stock specs a steel shafted P790 7 iron should be 36.75" a graphite shafted 7 iron should be 37". That's the norm since graphite shafted clubs are always a little longer because of the weight difference. My steel shafted 7 iron is 37". I was at a course today where they have a TM fitter there all the time, he tried to tell me its the grip making it longer, I have been building clubs for 27 years I always take the grip into consideration when I build a club so that the total length equals the length of club I am trying to make for someone with the grip installed. I asked him if they build wedges differently since my 56 and 60 milled grind wedges match the spec length to the butt end of the grip. he didn't say much about that. Its not like you can just cut them down since it will affect the swing weight of the club, 1/4 won't affect it much but I have seen it drop a full swing weight maybe even two. I am going to call customer service on Monday and ask them.

Stubbs, it will be interesting to know what you find out, and I agree the length specs should be ....to end of grip.
Seems like I do remember TM saying it is ...end of shaft however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Stubbs, it will be interesting to know what you find out, and I agree the length specs should be ....to end of grip.

There is no standard for length measurement... always expect a variance of up to 1/2"

I always measure to end of shaft if possible, if not I measure to end of grip and subtract 1/4" for the grip cap

Pretty sure it is "end of shaft" as the thickness of the cap on some grips is more than others...the velvet is only about 1/8" thick, so not a big deal.

The 790 got it's first real run yesterday and so far I'm happy, almost got me an hole in one at 175 out

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Went and played today in 40 degree weather with a windchill of 36. I was really excited to give some feedback here today but I lost all feeling in my hands after two holes...

In all seriousness, I’m really impressed with the long irons. Mainly cause it seemed like I had a lot today with the cold windy weather. I’m starting to settle in more and more with these and I’m excited for some warmer weather to go and play in after today for sure.

I spoke with customer service about the club lengths this morning. The guy I spoke with said they measure to the butt end of the grip, but he called to confirm and was told it was to the end of the shaft he was a bit surprised by that. He could not really explain why my milled grind wedges are on spec to the butt end of the grip. I need to go to PGASS and check the length of the fitting clubs/shafts since they fit me into stock length clubs I wonder if the fitting clubs match the documented spec or are 1/4 over with the grip. In any case they offered to fix them if I wanted them to match the documented spec but I declined since I am installing Modus Tour 105's soon anyway.

Back