TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I spoke with customer service about the club lengths this morning. The guy I spoke with said they measure to the butt end of the grip, but he called to confirm and was told it was to the end of the shaft he was a bit surprised by that. He could not really explain why my milled grind wedges are on spec to the butt end of the grip. I need to go to PGASS and check the length of the fitting clubs/shafts since they fit me into stock length clubs I wonder if the fitting clubs match the documented spec or are 1/4 over with the grip. In any case they offered to fix them if I wanted them to match the documented spec but I declined since I am installing Modus Tour 105's soon anyway.

This issue, while somewhat minor, makes me happy that I use an authorized club maker to build all my clubs. It may cost a few bucks more overall but I have the peace of mind that the clubs are built how I am accustom to them being built. The club maker that I use cuts the club shaft at the requested playing length. He refers to this as "cut length" on the spec sheet he provides. Once the grip of choice is installed, he measures again and calls this "playing length" on the spec sheet.

This issue, while somewhat minor, makes me happy that I use an authorized club maker to build all my clubs. It may cost a few bucks more overall but I have the peace of mind that the clubs are built how I am accustom to them being built. The club maker that I use cuts the club shaft at the requested playing length. He refers to this as "cut length" on the spec sheet he provides. Once the grip of choice is installed, he measures again and calls this "playing length" on the spec sheet.

I have been building clubs myself since 1990 and that exactly how I have always done it as well. But its just a hobby for me, I will put my Modus Tour 105's in there and set them to my specs.

I bought a set as well and they sent me everything but 5 and 7 irons. I called taylormade and they said it will not ne available until mid November which is month from when I received the irons.

I bought a set as well and they sent me everything but 5 and 7 irons. I called taylormade and they said it will not ne available until mid November which is month from when I received the irons.

That’s curious. What line did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What??? Wow, that rough.

I can understand being short on 5 irons because not everyone plays a 5 so they may not have made as many but a 7 seems ridiculous. Surely they make as many 7 irons as they do 6,8,9 and P?

Why ship a set minus the 5 and 7 iron? LAME

Solid front nine this morning. Hit 6/9 greens on the front nine today.

Funny story about one missed green on hole 7. We played cart path only today from some overnight rain and had some pretty thick fog which made shooting pins very tricky for a bit as well but on hole 7 I had hit my tee ball down the left side, cart path is down the right side so I grabbed what I thought was my 8-5 irons and headed to my ball. I try to shoot it and nothing. Another buddy was behind me about 15-20 yards so I asked what he hit since he had missed pin high to the right and he says a 4 iron. I’m like well I’ll just hit my 6. I hit it flush and Russ and I are both like dang that came out really high...go go go! It was my 9 iron...it happens lol

Still getting used to these but I’m liking my progress.

Played today just getting use to the clubs but love playing a knockdown with them!

Anyone that has these irons have any experience with Callaway's CF16's? I would like to see how they compare if possible. Thanks for your input!!!

Anyone that has these irons have any experience with Callaway's CF16's? I would like to see how they compare if possible. Thanks for your input!!!

@JDax has hit my irons some and he has the CF16s. Maybe he can chime in.

Watched a Mark Crossfield live video this morning, he was comparing the P730 to the P790 and he noted the difference in the length of the clubs, the specs on the clubs are the same both 7 irons show to be 36.75" but the P790 is actually 37". This confirms what I saw when I measured my P790's. Customer service told me they measure to the end of the shaft, but if that's the case why are the P730's 1/4 shorter? Interesting seems like they have two different groups building clubs one does it to the end of the shaft the other to the butt end of the grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC9DYcEOJyM&feature=em-lss

@JDax has hit my irons some and he has the CF16s. Maybe he can chime in.

I can provide some feedback on the P790s v CF16s as I have it them both side by side. Now keep in mind that E1iterate’s shafts were fit to him and are too stiff for me.

The P790s are longer than the CF16s on shots that are hit square in the middle of the club face.

I found the CF16s more forgiving all around, especially with misses that are thin.

The turf interaction is similar, but E1iterate’s are 2 degrees upright & and my CF16s are 1 degree upright. But neither are as good with turf interaction as the 565’s that were in E1iterate’s bag.

I think that the P790’s are really good Irons, and better than the other TM irons of the last several cycles in this genre of iron. I’ll give you an example, when E1iterate had the PSI TM Irons, I hit those side by side vs. the CF16’s. My thoughts then were that there was no way I would give up the CF16s to game the PSIs (the 565s are another story). This time, I had to think about it because the P790s felt so good and they were longer on center face contact.

All in all because I don’t always flush the ball, and the CF16s are more forgiving (especially because I miss low on the face), I still think the CF16s are better for me, but it’s not as much of a no brainer as it used to be.

I answered your question above in thread...

I answered your question above in thread...

Thanks, really appreciate your input!!

Had these out again today, and while my results were better Than last time, I just can’t seem to get totally comfortable with them. When struck nicely, they feel incredible and really go. I seem to be catching them thin quite often, and that is not a good miss with these. I wish the turf interaction were better.

Ready to get them down to Atlanta for more testing, though!

Had these out again today, and while my results were better Than last time, I just can’t seem to get totally comfortable with them. When struck nicely, they feel incredible and really go. I seem to be catching them thin quite often, and that is not a good miss with these. I wish the turf interaction were better.

Ready to get them down to Atlanta for more testing, though!

I tend to disagree, thin misses, especially with 7 iron up are fantastic. What do you mean by you wish the turf interaction were better? Do you think you are hitting thin shots due to the sole?

TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I tend to disagree, thin misses, especially with 7 iron up are fantastic. What do you mean by you wish the turf interaction were better? Do you think you are hitting thin shots due to the sole?

Meant to separate those comments. As far as turf interaction, I feel like I can’ only get a decent shot when they are struck perfectly, center of the face, with a proper divot. I don’t love how the leading edge and sole interact with the turf on mishits. Previous irons I’ve gamed, and buddy’s sticks I’ve tried, really seemed to help a bit more there.

Last edited:

They’re ok (not egregious) on the thin miss... But not as good as the CF16s on the thin miss...

I’ve been noticing more thin shots for me. Wonder if I’m hesitant to really hit down.

I guess my experience is different; I like the response on thin shots (my typical miss) and I get a nice thin divot on proper swings. My experience with the P730 was virtually the same however there’s more sting on skinny shots.

I guess my experience is different; I like the response on thin shots (my typical miss) and I get a nice thin divot on proper swings. My experience with the P730 was virtually the same however there’s more sting on skinny shots.

I agree with you on the P790's and I wish I could hit the P730's but they are above my skill level. I just put the Modus tour 105's in mine and I see you have them in yours, mine are stiff but I soft stepped mine. Really love the combo, its my first experience with a Nippon shaft and I just love the feel.

They’re ok (not egregious) on the thin miss... But not as good as the CF16s on the thin miss...

i guess we all are different the cf16 for me were less forgiving on mishits and thin was ok with the 790 but if i hit both near the sweetspot the 790 was a half club longer than the 16's but again its all about what your swing is like, mine usually is shallow with little divots so i pick the ball more

Found a set with recoils 780’s for a great price and decided to compare with my Z565 7i with C-Taper lites vs P790 7i with Recoil 780 shaft (don’t mind a lighter shaft). My findings: P790 was 3 yards longer (carry and total), very slightly better dispersion, similar spin, Z565 better forgiveness on off center strikes and overall had a better feel. Ended up keeping my Z565’s for now. Once i get time I’ll test the plethora of shafts GG has for the P790’s.

Back