TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I hit a 204 yard 6i today with these.

Carry.

Funny.

You don’t need the 5i. You need the AW to use as a normal persons 8i. These irons are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a 204 yard 6i today with these.

Carry.

Funny.

While I'm enjoying all of them, the longer irons (6 & 7 for me ) are the real standouts of this set. Honestly have me contemplating putting a 5 iron back in the bag for the first time in about a decade. They are just so easy to hit and launch. Had 2 par 3's today that were playing around 180 and hit 6 iron both times to inside 25 feet.

While I'm enjoying all of them, the longer irons (6 & 7 for me ) are the real standouts of this set. Honestly have me contemplating putting a 5 iron back in the bag for the first time in about a decade. They are just so easy to hit and launch. Had 2 par 3's today that were playing around 180 and hit 6 iron both times to inside 25 feet.

Shhh. Don’t tell people our secrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 5i will hopefully be here next week before a couple of tournaments. I'm excited to hit it given how well I'm striking the 6i.

I do miss the feel of the MP18's, but, these feel better than my i200 or CF16 so to me that's a pretty revealing thing.

My 5i will hopefully be here next week before a couple of tournaments. I'm excited to hit it given how well I'm striking the 6i.

I do miss the feel of the MP18's, but, these feel better than my i200 or CF16 so to me that's a pretty revealing thing.

What happened to your original 5i Jman?

Sent from HTX

Really interested to read your take on these irons with the Ctapers Vs. the $Tapers.

I've been a long time Ctaper player and they have been nearly impossible to kick out of my bag. I do keep trying though. At this point, the only two shafts I see having a chance are the $Tapers or the PX.

May I ask....how are you finding the short iron feel and distance control with the 790s? Would you have bothered to combine in some P770s if you had the chance?

Thank you!

Really interested to read your take on these irons with the Ctapers Vs. the $Tapers.

I've been a long time Ctaper player and they have been nearly impossible to kick out of my bag. I do keep trying though. At this point, the only two shafts I see having a chance are the $Tapers or the PX.

May I ask....how are you finding the short iron feel and distance control with the 790s? Would you have bothered to combine in some P770s if you had the chance?

Thank you!
I've been fit to the CT three times and just avoided it despite the fitting because I always feel so beat up after a lot of rounds with them, but there's no doubt they fit my swing needs, even if they are classed as a low/low shaft (but I'm playing S, soft stepped).

I've not missed a beat in the scoring irons, can hit all the shots I usually do and work those irons as well. I honestly don't see any reason to split this set.

I've been fit to the CT three times and just avoided it despite the fitting because I always feel so beat up after a lot of rounds with them, but there's no doubt they fit my swing needs, even if they are classed as a low/low shaft (but I'm playing S, soft stepped).

I've not missed a beat in the scoring irons, can hit all the shots I usually do and work those irons as well. I honestly don't see any reason to split this set.

Awesome. Yeah, the Ctapers are very good. I hear some guys call them harsh, but I don't quite get that....I suppose I'm just used to them after having played them since their intro years ago. One thing that bugs me about them is that the tips can bend on them and it is difficult to tell until you pull the shafts. Don't love that. Luckily I'm not a digger, so I don't think I've bent any. These 790s sound like winners.

Awesome. Yeah, the Ctapers are very good. I hear some guys call them harsh, but I don't quite get that....I suppose I'm just used to them after having played them since their intro years ago. One thing that bugs me about them is that the tips can bend on them and it is difficult to tell until you pull the shafts. Don't love that. Luckily I'm not a digger, so I don't think I've bent any. These 790s sound like winners.
Harsh is usually used with them in comparison to the KBS Tour. When they were released it was a stark departure from the feel that put KBS on the map, ya know? For me they're more harsh than those, but not as harsh as PX.

Harsh is usually used with them in comparison to the KBS Tour. When they were released it was a stark departure from the feel that put KBS on the map, ya know? For me they're more harsh than those, but not as harsh as PX.
Totally agree from my experience as well. I loved the KBS tours, I just ballooned them a bit. Currently thinking that I want to give the PX 6.5 soft stepped a go. On the mizuno optimizer, they were my #1 recommendation.

Ok, these have taken a bit of adjustment period for me, something that doesn’t normally happen. I think that’s due to me playing half an inch long and 2 degrees upright for the first time. Only a small change, but definitely noticeable. However, these are starting to fall into place. Snuck off to the range earlier, and these things just launch! That is coming from someone that has always struggled with height. Anybody that hits the ball low and wants to get a higher ball flight should really give these a try.

#FiberLaunch

Played 13 holes with my set today. It was my home course, so it was the first time I could appreciate the difference in distance and turf interaction compared to my Apex combo set. These seem to have a slightly wider sole than I had been playing and given my digging tendency, I was getting a lot of help in the super soft conditions. A couple shots I hit fat didn't seem to lose much distance.

In terms of distance more generally, I find these really hard to read so far. They definitely are longer than the Apex combo set, but still haven't completely gauged how much further. Hitting off upslopes, downslopes, uphill, downhill, sidehill, fairway, rough, it is really tough to say how much longer they are. I will say that I felt really comfortable selecting clubs. Every time I had one of these in my hand, I hit a green.

I have a couple more rounds planned for this weekend, 18 and a scramble. Look forward to giving these some more work.

I've had my P790 (6-P) back in the bag for 6 rounds now and dammit they're just fun. The most fun thing about them, is they're so stupidly consistent distance wise, it's been the biggest issue with me playing irons in this category, I want consistent numbers and I want to be able to drop and stop shots into greens and these are doing both of those things. Add into it the fact that 175 yard 8 irons are fun, and there is a lot to like.

They look good at address and in the bag are stunners. The Speed foam is legit, regardless of its goofy name, because the feel is powerful and not harsh. Do they feel like my MP18's? Hell no, but they aren't supposed to, they do though, imo, feel better than my i200 and CF16's.

The 5i gets in Friday and I'm excited to hit it. The CT's are the other surprise in these for me as I finally went with what I've been fit for so many times but refused to trust because I feared the low/low design, but it works with my move, and playing a flex down (AND soft stepped) has allowed peak heights I crave, more spin than I get from my CF16, and because of that they drop and stop, OR even pull back.

There's a reason these are so back ordered. They're good.

I hit the 730s on Sunday at a Taylormade fitting. Probably the best feeling blade I have ever hit. I was hitting a few off the toe pretty bad and it did not have that harsh feel like other blades have had in the past. I skipped the 790s because Jman has me convinced if I touch them I will want them.

I hit the 730s on Sunday at a Taylormade fitting. Probably the best feeling blade I have ever hit. I was hitting a few off the toe pretty bad and it did not have that harsh feel like other blades have had in the past. I skipped the 790s because Jman has me convinced if I touch them I will want them.
Hahaha, all I know is these combined with the feedback the M3 and M4 are getting makes me smile that TM got it right with an iron line. I'd even argue it's easily the strong point of this cycle for them performance wise, more so than the metalwoods imo.

Last edited:
Hahaha, all I know is these combined won't the feedback the M3 and M4 are getting makes me smile that TM got it right with an iron line. I'd even argue it's easily the strong point of this cycle for them performance wise, more so than the metalwoods imo.

That is impressive. Honestly, it has me debating looking at the wedges. I haven't touched them since the RACs. My favorite wedges and then the xft happened and I never tried one again.

Hahaha, all I know is these combined won't the feedback the M3 and M4 are getting makes me smile that TM got it right with an iron line. I'd even argue it's easily the strong point of this cycle for them performance wise, more so than the metalwoods imo.
Agreed....and while there are similar performance indications, there is enough differentiation in the lines that any golfer can find the settl that works best for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another day. More results.

Shot of the day was 9i to a 163 pin, hit it to two feet, and it had action on it.

I can hit these, into greens, and get action, and that makes me giddy. Especially given the C-Tapers in them.

If i order these with recoils and want standard length would i order 1/4 short?

Still hitting these. Still laughing at the great results.

Still debating TourV over X100. Still losing my mind hahaha

Hard to mess with what’s working. I still have two weeks before mine are here. I’m anxious to get them in play

Hard to mess with what’s working. I still have two weeks before mine are here. I’m anxious to get them in play

haha I'd argue it's harder NOT to mess with what's working with the little cymbal clanging monkeys walking around in my head.

Back