TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

P790........nice alternative to the original PXG 0311 series of irons.
Very similar copycat tech with ultra thin hardened steel face welded to a forged body; body hollow with a proprietary fill that supports the face but allows some flex; internal tungsten toe weight similar to the Titleist T-MB tungsten weighting in the toe/heel and perimeter screw weights on the PXGs; larger forgiving size.

To be fair Ping patented a similar process in 2009. But then again PXG has done well borrowing from Ping for some time.

790's have nice feel, smooth but a little odd. I don't know why but they don't feel as solid as they should. When well hit you should feel the ball compress and you can somewhat but its almost too muted.

Sound is nice, what you would expect from a forged club. Distance is great. Looks good too.

I wonder how much a high capper can get away with the 790's.... Im looking to replace my z545s later in the year but geez....... Way too many choices now...

I wonder how much a high capper can get away with the 790's.... Im looking to replace my z545s later in the year but geez....... Way too many choices now...

The way they can be turned left and right (on purpose), I doubt many high handicap players will be looking at these.

True. I guess i meant to say a mid capper upto like a 15-18... Im not the greatest ballstriker but id love to try them.

True. I guess i meant to say a mid capper upto like a 15-18... Im not the greatest ballstriker but id love to try them.

Or a high capper like me . I have been looking to make a move from RSI TP irons, and the more i look at them the P790 might be that fit! I do like the looks of the P730 tho.....

Or a high capper like me . I have been looking to make a move from RSI TP irons, and the more i look at them the P790 might be that fit! I do like the looks of the P730 tho.....

No offence intended if it came across that way with the hcap comment. Im not the greatest ballstriker by any means so Im curious if an inconsistent swing like mine could game these. The more I look at them the more i cant wait to try.

No offence intended if it came across that way with the hcap comment. Im not the greatest ballstriker by any means so Im curious if an inconsistent swing like mine could game these. The more I look at them the more i cant wait to try.

Oh none at all

I am working on building a swing that I can game with, and with a 25.4 hcp right now I play all TP clubs. (Was fitted that way more than Internet golfing that way lol).

The 790's are beautiful ! I would love to take a 7 iron to the range and pound balls, being a lefty doubt its possible.

I gotta admit, this made me laugh

41aOLCJWsxL._SY355_.jpg

I gotta admit, this made me laugh

41aOLCJWsxL._SY355_.jpg

Speed Foam is as Taylormade as it comes. Despite that though I'm a little curious to hit them.

To be fair Ping patented a similar process in 2009. But then again PXG has done well borrowing from Ping for some time.

Not familiar with the "process" that you refer to?

Not aware of anything that Ping has that comes close to the P790 & PXG 0311 series.

If the P790 is close in feel and performance to the PXG 0311 series of irons then they have a winner!
Certainly worth trying out for those that like a soft "forged" feeling iron.

I saw a YouTube Review of the P790 by Rick Shiels last night.
He stated the P790 were "Best Taylormade irons I have ever hit"
He even took one a part to show the "SpeedFoam"
Thought a lot of players, even High Cappers could play them.

If you like them now, don't watch the video because it's not going to help your want for them.

I believe he said they were the "best feeling" Taylormade irons he ever hit. He also didn't hit the 4 iron that well, averaged around 200 carry. 20 yard gap between his 7 iron and 4 iron was a bit weird. I wish they'd do more thorough tests instead of hitting 3 balls in a bay with each club. Looking at these or the new AP2's for sure this fall. One will end up in my bag, just don't know which yet lol!

I believe he said they were the "best feeling" Taylormade irons he ever hit. He also didn't hit the 4 iron that well, averaged around 200 carry. 20 yard gap between his 7 iron and 4 iron was a bit weird. I wish they'd do more thorough tests instead of hitting 3 balls in a bay with each club. Looking at these or the new AP2's for sure this fall. One will end up in my bag, just don't know which yet lol!

Also, although this may not be directly on point, but Shiels also again knocked the P770s and P750s in this video. He said something to the effect that they did not feel that great and were disappointing. Ironically, I have been gaming the P770s and I think that they are some of the best irons I have ever played. I think that they feel superb. I just shot the best round of my life last night using them. I am not a Taylormade guy in general. I love the look of all of these P offerings and, honestly, wish I had known about the P790s before I bought the P770s, although my P770s are not going anywhere. It is interesting, though, how these reviewers hit such few numbers of balls and then make generalized, broad conclusions. I particularly noted the same as you, how Shiels could not hit that 4 iron, how the gapping into the long irons seemed to be problematic, but yet one would come away thinking that the review was ravingly positive.

I do love the look, I just know that in the 750 and 770 irons, the head is just so tiny, not sure I could adjust to that and actually get the same results (or better) than my current Srixons.

But they look so good, these and the new Titleist line are high on my "test" list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a photo of all 4 lines together just posted by Orrie Neglerio from Taylormade

f45b9dcff2642e8893ba7d7db2f01714.png

Pic definitely makes the 790 look massive and the 730 look tiny.

Ugh, that's not a flattering pic for the P790 for what I like at address.

For those noting the size of the P790, does that change your opinion on a set make up using the p790s?

It's just a bad angle - Eddie Lacy

For those noting the size of the P790, does that change your opinion on a set make up using the p790s?

I thought the top line was thinner, enough so to have a whole set of them. I'd have to see them in hand after that pic.

That is a great photo. I have been having a lot of success with the P770s. They look great to my eye and it is very interesting to see them relative to the P730s and the P790s, the far ends of the spectrum.

So the 90 is the Duff. I knew her in college.
Designated Ugly Fat Friend...

TO all out there with pitch forks...This is a joke

Back