TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

So the 90 is the Duff. I knew her in college.
Designated Ugly Fat Friend...

TO all out there with pitch forks...This is a joke

It's funny when you don't have a disclaimer... #theinternet

So is it possible to guess that the P790 is TM response to titleist T-MB irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the 90 is the Duff. I knew her in college.
Designated Ugly Fat Friend...

TO all out there with pitch forks...This is a joke
That's the first time I've heard that. I about spit my water out reading that lol. Well done.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's funny when you don't have a disclaimer... #theinternet

Fact: Internet golf is serious business.
Its about the only fact people want though...haha

Fact: Internet golf is serious business.
Its about the only fact people want though...haha

So just to be clear

#golfisfun

#internetgolfisserioussh!t #nottobeeffedwith

For those noting the size of the P790, does that change your opinion on a set make up using the p790s?

It does!! Pits me in more of the 750 and 770 camp. Based on the limited data

The first (2) digits of each model number in the P-Series Iron Family designates the blade length in millimeters, (i.e. 73, 75, 77, 79mm). This means the size increase is actually quite consistent as the model numbers get higher.

P-FamilyIrons.png

Last edited:
It does!! Pits me in more of the 750 and 770 camp. Based on the limited data

That's what I'm gaming - a combo 770/750 set and I LOVE them

That's what I'm gaming - a combo 770/750 set and I LOVE them

Makes me want to get back out to the Kingdom at Reynolds Plantation for another fitting.....

I believe he said they were the "best feeling" Taylormade irons he ever hit. He also didn't hit the 4 iron that well, averaged around 200 carry. 20 yard gap between his 7 iron and 4 iron was a bit weird. I wish they'd do more thorough tests instead of hitting 3 balls in a bay with each club. Looking at these or the new AP2's for sure this fall. One will end up in my bag, just don't know which yet lol!

He didn't hit a single good shot with the 4 iron so the yardage is a complete throw away and ignore. The real question is can the person buying them hit the 4 iron. If not no big deal hybrids are awesome.

These 790's are definitely going to get tested soon. Excited to put them against the new AP3 and AP2.

These 790's are definitely going to get tested soon. Excited to put them against the new AP3 and AP2.

Ditto. I'd also add the new Mizuno MP 18 range

The P750/770 fit nicely together...similar style and design scheme, but nevertheless a different style cosmetically than that 730/790.

The P730/790 style look good together too, but a blade and a driving iron-inspired hollow iron just seem a bit too far apart. There should be a non-hollow (cosmetic matching) Player's CB in-between the 730/790. Would likely be a Player's CB set that would also make a nice 'combo set' with the 790.

So might we soon see a P780 iron set from TM?....i.e. a similarly-styled but non-hollow CB iron that 'fills the gap' between the 730 and the 790 within that newer design scheme?

I certainly wouldn't be surprised...after all, you just never know what's next from TM so stay tuned...

Remember the PGA Equipment show comes in January, and TM will likely introduce something else before then...maybe around Christmas time for a new P780 CB to complement the 730/790.

I also believe the troublesome 'face slotted' (M1/M2) irons will soon be history, (too many warranty issues), and a whole new line of Metalwoods will be also announced.

Note from the pics below just how 'different looking' the models of the P-Family are. The 750/770 match each other, but those don't match the 730/790 at all. That is why I feel TM may have a P780 (non-hollow) CB iron set waiting in the wings.

No guarantee this will actually happen of course, but it does make good sense. So much so, that my gut tells me it's likely to happen.

Check your own gut before committing to any P-Series iron but I do think it's quite possible there just may soon be yet another P-series iron added to the mix, and if so, you might want to see it and try it before buying a full set of the driving iron inspired, (hollow) 790's. IMO, P-780 CB sounds like a very good name for such an iron set!

Attachments

• taylormade-p770-irons-taylormade-p750-irons.jpg
    taylormade-p770-irons-taylormade-p750-irons.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • P730PlayhersIron.jpg
    P730PlayhersIron.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 790pics.jpg
    790pics.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looking forward to trying the 790's. I'm due for a new set and these could be the ones as I never warmed up to the 750's and 770's. I've always wanted more blade-like irons with stronger loft but also with forgiveness. Maybe they'll help me break the 4 hdcp barrier I've been stuck at for ages.

Available 9/15/17?

Last edited:
That is why I feel TM may have a P780 (non-hollow) CB iron set waiting in the wings.

It would be really crazy to see yet another series of irons emerge from TM this year and a non hollow CB iron set would theoretically "fit." But I see them solidifying these 4 iron sets as their new full line of irons. I definitely agree with you that the M1/m2 irons will go away but I'm not sure a 5th set is coming, but who knows, you might know something I don't!? lol. Plus, based on the fact that all the series are oddly numbered, i doubt they would just throw a 780 in the mix.

Either way, I'm a fan of the 2017 TM iron line overhaul and what they've been doing with their wedge lineup. Their milled wedges are impressive and they just took home another win on Sunday....

I highly doubt were gonna see a filler set beyond 730, 750, 770 and 790. Four sets is stretching is already.

If the 790s are so far away from the 730s, relative to the 770 and 750, will we still see combo sets of 30/90 for cosmetic purposes only? It seems as though a 730/750 set or 770/790 would be a smoother transition, putting all aesthetics aside.

Hit the P790s today. All I can say is WOW!!! Going to wait on the AP3s but my GI Irons search may be over. Looks of a players club with forgiveness I have not experienced. Ball speed was ridiculous.

Hit the P790s today. All I can say is WOW!!! Going to wait on the AP3s but my GI Irons search may be over. Looks of a players club with forgiveness I have not experienced. Ball speed was ridiculous.

I hope the 790s aren't "GI", especially with the minimal offset. I may have to rethink these if they are close to GI.

Last edited:
Guys, the forgiveness level in this iron puts them in the same category as the Epic, AP1, Z565. Just because its at that level doesn't mean the pros won't hit it. Trust me when I say, it is more of a GI iron that anything else in the P series and may very likely take sales from the M series irons for Taylormade. The Experiential Rep that did a quick fitting with me told me has has fit 2 Web.com players for them all the way up to a 20 HC.

Guys, the forgiveness level in this iron puts them in the same category as the Epic, AP1, Z565. Just because its at that level doesn't mean the pros won't hit it. Trust me when I say, it is more of a GI iron that anything else in the P series and may very likely take sales from the M series irons for Taylormade. The Experiential Rep that did a quick fitting with me told me has has fit 2 Web.com players for them all the way up to a 20 HC.

..... puts them in the same category as the Epic, AP1, Z565......AND PXG 0311XF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOPqdhcP_4

View attachment 29027

Last edited:

Not sure I'd put them in the same category as the AP1, much more like the AP2 or AP3, and CF16.

The AP1 is a true GI or SGI iron, the p790 is not that. But, they are definitely on the highest end of forgiveness for a players iron. Not quite as soft at the CF16, but they definitely feel great.

I tested them head to head with the AP3 today and ended up going with the AP3 as they performed better for my swing. My buddy ended up getting the 790's.

They are great clubs and think they will perform really well for TM. And agreed they will take away from M sales, especially the M1.

Back