TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I went a paid a visit to my 790s yesterday at the shop, as they are still in the process of getting reshafted. The shop has been behind because of the junior golf tournament that has been going on for the last three weeks. I should have them in the next day or so, back to the DG 105 and really to get back on the course!

Does that mean you are done with the F9 OLs?

Does that mean you are done with the F9 OLs?

I don’t think so. I played a lot of golf over the last few months and I think I want to give the 790s another good few months of use to see what has changed with my swing and see if these fit me better now than they did before. Plus, they are much less upright that my F9s which I think will benefit me.

Just picked them up. Hopefully I can find some time to hit them tomorrow.

bf6db6840c325bb7335134306197a242.jpg

Snuck out to the range this afternoon and hit a bucket with the 790s and the Dynamic Gold 105 shafts. Like riding a bike, I was hitting the 6-PW better than I have hit any club in the last 6 months. The ball flight was high and the distance was great. Compared to my other set, today's results were much more playable shot shapes that were much, much straighter. I am still struggling a bit with the 4 and 5, but I think there is some promise there. The few i connected well with launched. I hope to get them on the course this weekend for a full shake down.

Played another round last weekend and so far, I had 3 of my best 4 rounds of the last 6 months with these. I am still a high handicap at 24.3 currently, but my last three rounds have been trending down from there. I can't believe how much of a different it made to switch back to the DG 105 shafts from the 120s. it just goes to show that sometimes people should listen to the manufacturer's recommendations with stock shaft pairings. The 105s have allowed me to elevate the ball a bit more than the 120s did with these 790 heads, and I feel like my swing is much more effortless with the same result. I notice the difference the most in the 4 and 5 irons. Glad to see the new 790s have kept the DG 105 shaft option.

BigDill;n8881192 said:
Played another round last weekend and so far, I had 3 of my best 4 rounds of the last 6 months with these. I am still a high handicap at 24.3 currently, but my last three rounds have been trending down from there. I can't believe how much of a different it made to switch back to the DG 105 shafts from the 120s. it just goes to show that sometimes people should listen to the manufacturer's recommendations with stock shaft pairings. The 105s have allowed me to elevate the ball a bit more than the 120s did with these 790 heads, and I feel like my swing is much more effortless with the same result. I notice the difference the most in the 4 and 5 irons. Glad to see the new 790s have kept the DG 105 shaft option.
Keep plugging away! It will go down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Has anybody hit the new P790 UDI in the Smoke shaft? Why did they make the change in shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody hit the new P790 UDI in the Smoke shaft? Why did they make the change in shaft?

I haven’t hit it yet but I’ve hit the original and both versions of the p790s. The new one should be more forgiving and the shaft change should give better feel.
We have a new thread for the 2019 UDI too

I haven’t hit it yet but I’ve hit the original and both versions of the p790s. The new one should be more forgiving and the shaft change should give better feel.
We have a new thread for the 2019 UDI too

Thanks Molten. Not planning to buy the club but might look at the shaft or maybe the GD AD driving iron shaft

Thanks Molten. Not planning to buy the club but might look at the shaft or maybe the GD AD driving iron shaft

did you hit the original black?

did you hit the original black?

Currently have the Hazrds Black 85g 6.0 shaft in mine. Old head. Gives me 220y of the deck and 240 of a T. Apex at about 30ft and I can push it up to 50ft with the ball forward. Hovering at the 140mph ball speed.

Wondering if the GD AD with mid launch might not help with the numbers. Not sure what optimal numbers should be for a driving iron?

Currently have the Hazrds Black 85g 6.0 shaft in mine. Old head. Gives me 220y of the deck and 240 of a T. Apex at about 30ft and I can push it up to 50ft with the ball forward. Hovering at the 140mph ball speed.

Wondering if the GD AD with mid launch might not help with the numbers. Not sure what optimal numbers should be for a driving iron?

Ps: I still have the Elements Chrome in all my woods in X-flex so might need more than an S in the driving iron

with a ball speed around 140 you aren’t likely to get much more out of that! Those numbers are rock solid. Apex is low for optimizing carry but that must run for days! Impressive stuff

with a ball speed around 140 you aren’t likely to get much more out of that! Those numbers are rock solid. Apex is low for optimizing carry but that must run for days! Impressive stuff

Thanks Molten. Yes it’s mostly the apex I’m tinkering with because every shot is a low stinger. If I can get the apex at about 45-50ft should get me a bit more carry and then I can flight it down when needed.

It currently does run a mile with average landing angle of 20 degrees. But if it is going to replace my 5wood I need to increase the height a bit. Currently have both in my bag ...dropped the 4 iron. Will play it till the end of the year and then decide.

New shaft from Santa if it doesn’t work out.

Finished a trade for some p790s with modus 120s, looking forward to trying them out and the added forgiveness to help with my de lined ball striking the latter part of this season with my apex pros.

Back