TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I preordered a set the very first day, got a hold of another set locally and canceled my order with TM. It's not that the 790 is bad, it's just that it's not as good as the 900 Tour, Apex CF16, Ping i200 in the forgivness and feel department. Compared to those other three clubs it feels dead. Compared to my gamer z745's it feels more penal on off center hits as well as visually not as pretty.

I was super excited about the 790's though, I was hoping it would be the poor mans PXG 0311T, unfortunately it's not. The 0311T feels closer to the i200 or Apex than the 790.
Wanna sell them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How did you get a set already? Dying to try these out...and drop $1300 for my own set. Lol.

Ordered on Wednesday had them on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get a set already? Dying to try these out...and drop $1300 for my own set. Lol.

The shop I frequent won't have them in until 9/15. I'm going to hit the demos on the range for quite a while on 9/16.

UPDATE:
Well, today is 9/16 and all they have to demo is a 7 iron head. Can't buy a new set based on hitting just a single iron. They won't have a full set to demo until 9/19 so I have to wait another 4 days (so they say).

Last edited:
I would respectfully and completely disagree with anyone that says the 790s aren't forgiving. I have hit them 3 times in the PGASS and knew they were forgiving. At least as forgiving as my i200s and even moreso to me. We finally got them in the fitting cart at my club and my pro (who is a TM staffer) got his full set in. He allowed me to spend significant range time with his on Friday. I had my i200s plus a friends JPX 900 HMs to compare. The 790s are in the same league on forgiveness as the 900 HMs. I was amazed. I hit shot after shot for over an hour. I wanted to make sure as I am on the hunt for a more forgiving iron. The HMs launched considerably higher but would not carry as far as the 790s. The i200s just could not compete on distance with either of the other 2 clubs. For me and my swing, this may be the unicorn. I say that but I have never hit PXGs. Feel is very very solid. It is a different feel but very forged like to me. Still, forgiveness is really there all the way up to the 4 iron. Just an amazing iron and I am not at all a Taylormade iron fan. I honestly would not own a set just because I always felt they were going to release a replacement for them if I bought them within a month. Now I am in serious ponder mode here.

Walked into my local Golf Mart today and was immediately greeted by a large display for these irons. Good lord are these irons a looker. The best looking irons released this year IMO. Down at address there is just enough top line to inspire confidence but not look too chunky. I don't like the stock grips but with the DG 105 these look great.

I want some just need to get the funds together for them. I'm hoping nothing happens with the PXG suit to stop me from being able to get them. I know PXG filed suit against Worldwide golf today for selling them, that's Roger Dunns in my area. I would assume he would do the same to PGA SS I hope they don't back off before I can get them.

I was able to order a set 5-AW on Friday. Went with the stock DG 105 shafts so they are basically off the rack and have already seen shipping info, expect to have them by Tuesday since FedEx ground is only one day shipping from Carlsbad to my place. looking forward to them.

took a few swings with a p790 today. a little bigger than i was expecting, and didn't love the feel. but performance seemed to be pretty good. nice high flight and carry seemed to be farther than anything else i tried today.

took a few swings with a p790 today. a little bigger than i was expecting, and didn't love the feel. but performance seemed to be pretty good. nice high flight and carry seemed to be farther than anything else i tried today.

Same thing for me today. After all the raves I tried them out and found the feel sorely lacking.

Picked up my P790 2 iron today (strong bent 3) and that thing is pure - missile launcher. Super happy with my entire bag setup with this addition.

Finally hit the demo P-790's yesterday and liked them instantly. The feel is butter smooth. 8-10 yards longer than my previous set - the lofts are stronger with a hotter face. Was pleasantly surprised that the top line was thinner than expected. Played 9 holes last night and what I liked most was my ball flight remained just as high yet got an extra foot of sauce on the greens. Could be due to fresh grooves. Took 3 holes to re-calibrate my distances. These clubs really shine with a smooth, under control swing (as most clubs do). Was very easy to hit a baby draw on par 3's. Hit a couple of 8 irons low on the face and they still held the green. The stock grips are bad but I'll fix that as soon as my MCC+4's arrive. I'll post more details after gaming them today and exiting the honeymoon phase.

Last edited:
Tried the 790's at Golf Town two days ago in a DGS300, man are these things LONG! Average carry of 180 with my 7 iron still spinning around 5500 (because it's technically a 6 iron lol). Might wait to find a used set as they're still fairly pricey. Taylormade seem to drop in value rather quickly.

Really loved the feel, when you middle a shot it feels like butter. Still carried around 170-172 off the toe which was impressive.

The looks of these irons have me sold, confidence when you set them next to the ball. A lot bigger than I had anticipated, which is nice! The top line makes you feel as though you're hitting a game improvement iron. Can't find anything wrong with these bad boys, can't wait to get my hands on a second hand set! :D

Got fitted

Got fitted

Got fitted at Tmag player development center in Madison. C Taper Lites. Love the feel and the look. Will be ordering shortly.

Just played another 9 holes with the 790's and the first words that come to mind are "LONG" and "POWERFUL". These clubs really reward a smooth and easy swing, which I consider a good thing. Had to re-calibrate my distances yet again as I was even a half club longer today than yesterday. It'll take more practice to get dialed in. The 5 iron was MVP - easy to launch and rescued me over trees twice. It's easy to feel where I'm making contact on the face due to the sensitivity. Off-center hits continue to hold the greens very well. I'm loving these sticks so far.

Last edited:

Why? What's wrong with the feel?
TIA

Same thing for me today. After all the raves I tried them out and found the feel sorely lacking.

In what way?
TIA

Why? What's wrong with the feel?
TIA

In what way?
TIA

the first swing i made i caught it right on the button. but it felt totally dead, almost like it was a high toe miss. it sounded dead as well. but the flight was strong and it carried really well. it didn't feel soft or powerful to me. just very strange.

Did an intense range session with the 790's this morning to continue acclimating to the extra distance. The 4 iron is crazy long. I hit a few shots that felt harsh today when I really went after it. Face tape revealed strikes low on the face when swinging hard which is my bad tendency. Slots and foam won't save those. When I took a more effortless swing the smooth feel returned along with center strikes and the ball jumped off the face.

These clubs feel "blade smooth", not "cavity back smooth". They are very sensitive like a players iron should be. If you're hoping the 790's feel like CB's then you should stay away from them. If you like to feel a blade-like club, work the ball, and produce a strong ball flight like an MB but with forgiveness then the 790's rule.

Last edited:
TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I went ahead yesterday and got my 790s on the way. I was waiting on the Titleist contest as I wanted to make sure and do justice to those irons if I got in. My story goes a little something like this:

I was at PGASS and both Mike (TM) and Vince (Titleist) were there. I was much more excited about the 718 series but I had to wait about 25 mins for Vince to free up. I put my name in the que and wandered down to the TM bay. Mike wasn’t busy so he started me directly with the 790. I knew I wouldn’t be going with the 770 or 750. My Pings perform just fine for me against those models. The 790 is an amazing iron. I had hit them before and saw 6-8 mph ball speed increased over my Ping i200 with better launch, height and a touch less spin. I wanted to get the shaft right. We went through a bunch but settled on the Modus 130 stiff. Got the best numbers here but I still wasn’t sold. I still wanted to hit them outside.

Vince freed up and the PGASS employee comes down and gets me. I won’t go into real detail here but only to say I wanted to hit the AP3 on his Trackman. I was a bit disappointed in that iron and mentioned that in the Titleist threads. It was very clicky and a bit hollow feeling. Needless to say we never could dial anything in to Vince’s ideal numbers for me and he suggested I come to an outdoor fitting and gave me his card. Here’s where it gets funny. He had others waiting and started to talk to them. I grabbed the P790 and hit it a few times on the Trackman to see how it compared. Vince wasn’t watching me but the numbers were popping up in his iPad. After I had hit 3-4 balls he turned back around and said “I don’t know what you switched to but these are much better numbers and now we’re on to something”. I was a bit embarrassed but showed him the 790. He hadn’t seen it before but he was impressed.

A few days later, I went through a full outdoor fitting when my pro got the heads into his fitting cart. I was hitting the 790 considerably better than my Ping or the Mizuno HMs that I was trying from a friend. That was when I knew this was my favorite iron I had tried in quite sometime.

The feel to me is very solid and Forged feeling with a spring face feel. It’s a combo. Not super solid but not hollow either. I love the feel. I have some old Nike Forged blades and it’s not there but better than any other iron of this type getting close to real Forged feeling. Feeling aside (I’ve played Pings for most of my golfing life), it’s the performance I could not ignore. The #1 thing I was looking for was a forgiving iron I could stand to look down on. The Mizuno HMs were good but the performance wasn’t quite where I wanted it. The 790s are 90-95% of the forgiveness of those with better looks and more workability.

Can’t wait to get mine now. Pro has them on rush and they will be here mid next week. I’ll update my findings after we go to battle with my Pings. Never owned a TM iron and never thought I would. Another example for me to go find what works best and not worry about the brand.

That's awesome Eric! Sounds like you found something that's the best of both worlds for you. I bet that HC is gonna start creeping back down bud! Looking forward to following how they're working out for you!

Played the first round with the P790's today and all I can say is I am glad I bought them. I have M1 irons and Steelhead XRs just never liked the sound or feel of them at all but the 790's are great. Love the nice soft feel of these irons, the sound is a bit muted which I liked as well compared to the others. My son likes the Steelheads so I will keep those but i sold the M1's to help fund the P790's. The P790's remind me of my old TM Tour Preferred TD Irons from the early 90's loved the look and feel of those irons as well. Can't wait to get some more time with these.

Hi guys, have you guys that have played the 790 have you found that the yardage difference are even get club meaning about a 10 yard had between each, i think i watched a video with Rick Shields could not get the 4 got much longer than the 7 or something like that

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hi guys, have you guys that have played the 790 have you found that the yardage difference are even get club meaning about a 10 yard had between each, i think i watched a video with Rick Shields could not get the 4 got much longer than the 7 or something like that

Those were ridiculously poor strikes, and I'm fairly certain one was a misread because it launched about 25 yards higher than the other 2-3 shots. The PW and 7 iron he hit beautifully and went on to say they're the best feeling irons TM has ever made. Glowing review really, not sure what happened with the 4 iron shots he hit though... Everyone is human I suppose.

I have about a 10-12 yard gap between each iron. I hit the 4 iron the same distance as my old 2 hybrid though. Glad I got rid of that hybrid!

Last edited:
I have about a 10-12 yard gap between each iron. I hit the 4 iron the same distance as my old 2 hybrid though. Glad I got rid of that hybrid!
Thanks this is what i was mainly wanting to know

Those were ridiculously poor strikes, and I'm fairly certain one was a misread because it launched about 25 yards higher than the other 2-3 shots. The PW and 7 iron he hit beautifully and went on to say they're the best feeling irons TM has ever made. Glowing review really, not sure what happened with the 4 iron shots he hit though... Everyone is human I suppose.
Yes this is why i asked it was crazy to see him flush the 4 and it didn't go like the 7 , that's what worried me

Back