TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

Mine will be here tomorrow...:banana:

Unfortunately I leave in the morning for a business trip....:bad:

Hopefully I get a range session with them by Friday and will post my thoughts with the Modus 130s. My pro's with X100s were ridiculously easy to hit and that shaft should be too stout for me.

Had a hit of these today and placed my order but they're not going to be here until mid October unfortunately. They felt beautiful at the range.

Went with the expectation that I'd end up with M1s or Apex. I hadn't even considered these as looking at them they looked like a better player iron. They had just received the demo clubs in and were desperate to get someone to try them. They were the first I hit and nothing matched the numbers from then.

Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got my first range session in with them this afternoon. Very underwhelming. I'll call a spade a spade and I've made many equipment mistakes over the years. Not sure if this is one of them yet though. I luckily had my Pings with me and went back to the car all sweaty and mad to get them. I brought the 7 iron back out and couldn't hit it at all either. After switching back and forth a few times, I was actually hitting the P790 better. Whew, close call. Just a sucky swing. Too much work at my real job lately. First true range session in almost a month and it shows. Going to give them a go this weekend and hope to gain some confidence in them. I'm sure they will be great irons in the long run. If that turns out to be the case for me, we'll see.

Much better things today. Played 18 late this afternoon and spent some time on the range. Just getting used to a different shaft and overall balance of a new club needs more time. I always like to give my first impressions though. Today they came around and I saw much more of what I saw in my fitting and testing. Signature change coming soon.

Great to hear they ended up working out! Did you notice any drastic distance or forgiveness?

Great to hear they ended up working out! Did you notice any drastic distance or forgiveness?

I played yesterday and I am beginning to see the distance gains. It's just so tough to tell as you get used to them. I had 2 shots in particular that stand out to me. I had 164 to a back pin. I can usually stretch my Ping 8 iron to that but never would dream of it being long. Best pured shot would be pin high. I hit my 790 8 well and flew past the pin and bounced over the green. The other shot was on a par 3 173 front pin into a heavy wind. Should be a solid 6 iron with the Pings and that could be short due to the wind leaving me an easy chip and putt for par. I hit the 790 6 very well and was 20 paces past on the very back of the green. So right now the distance gains are not helping me but as I learn the clubs, I will feel much better about these shots. One interesting point is the PW and AW aren't showing any real gains. I may have not really hit many good shots with them yet but ultimately I am fine with that. I needed to see some gains in the longer clubs but my gapping down low is fine.

Forgiveness is definitely there. The thin shots just go better than any iron I have tried. Toe shots do the same. Its amazing to get this type of forgiveness with this look.

Finally, the 4 irons is a killer driving iron. I hit it twice yesterday on par 4s. The first was a terrible thin shot on a 335 yard hole that rolled out about 180 yards leaving me right in the middle of the fairway though. The 2nd was pured on a 357 yard hole leaving me 103 yards in. I'll take the average of those 2 any time I step up to the tee with it.

Sounds amazing! My home course only plays about 6200 yards so I'm looking for a set with a 4 iron that I can use a lot off the tee for short Par 4s. I hit these at my local Golf Town and my average carry with a 7 iron was 180. Insane, I'd like to ease up on my swing a bit and get that number down to 170. The forgiveness was hard to tell because I only hit about 15 shots and the majority of them were surprisingly middled.

Any specific reason why you went with the Modus 130 over the 120? I have them in my wedges and was debating them in the irons as well. I hit them with DGS300 but I hear they're fairly similar.

Sounds amazing! My home course only plays about 6200 yards so I'm looking for a set with a 4 iron that I can use a lot off the tee for short Par 4s. I hit these at my local Golf Town and my average carry with a 7 iron was 180. Insane, I'd like to ease up on my swing a bit and get that number down to 170. The forgiveness was hard to tell because I only hit about 15 shots and the majority of them were surprisingly middled.

Any specific reason why you went with the Modus 130 over the 120? I have them in my wedges and was debating them in the irons as well. I hit them with DGS300 but I hear they're fairly similar.

130s launch higher and spin a bit more for me so I went with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played my 4th round with the P790's today. After airmailing the 1st green from 180 with my 7i I was finally able to harness the extra distance by switching to a softer ball. Went on to hit 14 greens in regulation and got about a foot more backspin even on wet greens. I was long on 2 par 3's as these clubs are beasts off a tee, so I still have work to do there. After switching to the softer ball and putting on my favorite grips (MCC+4), these irons feel even better. I went past just about every pin so I still need at least another round to adjust to the extra distance. The ball flight is the strongest I've ever experienced and I really like these sticks so far. A smooth and easy swing unleashes their power. Easily the best irons I've ever gamed.

Last edited:
I'm here proud to say that I pulled the trigger!

I went 4-PW with Pro Modus stiff 120 shafts and white multi compound grips to match my wedges. They felt fantastic, was getting great numbers with them consistently!

The only crappy part is that my pro told me the 4 and 5 iron are on backorder for 6-8 weeks? Ouch... Luckily my course is only 6200 yards, but I would have loved to start going 4 iron off the tee. Has anyone else run into this problem?

So, on my lunch break today and went to Golf galaxy to hit the new Titleist AP2 and AP3. The launch monitor was working, but it is one I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I hit the Titleist clubs, with whatever shaft. they had in them. Hit them well, although the distance was less than normal because after looking they were S & X shafts lol. I just wanted to see how they felt. Loved the AP2 feel, and the AP3 weren't bad. Then the GG guy working says " hit this" and gives me a P790 7 iron. I am a mid HC, and although I am a better iron player than that shows, I still had no reason to hit the P790's in my opinion.

Well, I hit the first one, and it goes 152 carry, and one yard left. Repeated this 4 times. Hit one definitely not center, and it still went 146. Can't believe I'm saying this, but these are in the lead right now. I loved the look, and they are the best feeling irons I have ever hit. Like others though, I do worry about the durability.

So, on my lunch break today and went to Golf galaxy to hit the new Titleist AP2 and AP3. The launch monitor was working, but it is one I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I hit the Titleist clubs, with whatever shaft. they had in them. Hit them well, although the distance was less than normal because after looking they were S & X shafts lol. I just wanted to see how they felt. Loved the AP2 feel, and the AP3 weren't bad. Then the GG guy working says " hit this" and gives me a P790 7 iron. I am a mid HC, and although I am a better iron player than that shows, I still had no reason to hit the P790's in my opinion.

Well, I hit the first one, and it goes 152 carry, and one yard left. Repeated this 4 times. Hit one definitely not center, and it still went 146. Can't believe I'm saying this, but these are in the lead right now. I loved the look, and they are the best feeling irons I have ever hit. Like others though, I do worry about the durability.

If we didn't talk about these irons. I thoroughly meant to with you. They are deceptively forgiving. Knowing your game. You could play them easily. And they can be had with your usual favorite shaft at no up charge.

We should talk soon.

If we didn't talk about these irons. I thoroughly meant to with you. They are deceptively forgiving. Knowing your game. You could play them easily. And they can be had with your usual favorite shaft at no up charge.

We should talk soon.

You know Rob – I've always been a big fan of taylor-made woods. But I've never cared for their irons. Maybe time for that to change. We'll talk soon!

BIGBALL, why do you worry about durability? The shell of the club is made of high quality steel and is plenty strong. There’s only 4 grams of foam in the heads. No sure I understand your concern.

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t last a long time. I’ve had several sets of taylormade irons, and never had a problem. Never with the speed pockets or face slots (tho know some occasionally have).

Based on the builds of these, I imagine they’d last for years.

And also, taylormade has fantastic customer service. If there was a problem, they’d replace it for you.

I had 10 or so swings on a monitor with the p790 7i at a local golf shop today. I had no warm up or anything like that so i know i didnt have my best swing with me. I found it to be quite a harsh feeling and i couldnt tell if i hit a good one (maybe cause i didnt haha). I was averaging around 140y carry and mid 4000's spin. By comparison i hit the new ap1 aswell and they felt miles better for me.
Its a tad annoying cause i love the look of the p790... I will try them again outside at some stage and see if i hit them any better. Never been fully comfy hitting into a net.

I heard a P790 2 iron will be available sometime in November. I'm getting one for sure!

I had 10 or so swings on a monitor with the p790 7i at a local golf shop today. I had no warm up or anything like that so i know i didnt have my best swing with me. I found it to be quite a harsh feeling and i couldnt tell if i hit a good one (maybe cause i didnt haha). I was averaging around 140y carry and mid 4000's spin. By comparison i hit the new ap1 aswell and they felt miles better for me.
Its a tad annoying cause i love the look of the p790... I will try them again outside at some stage and see if i hit them any better. Never been fully comfy hitting into a net.

Funny thing about how we are all different - I had the exact opposite experience

BIGBALL, your feedback and the looks of these had me itching to hit them... We are all definately different...

Definitely settling in with mine. I am still having a hard time with my Taylormade iron brand prejudice though. I really have to get over that. Never owned their irons and something just keeps telling me the new P890s will be out in February. I know they won't but its funny how the internet skews your views.

Can't wait for mine to come in, placed the order on Tuesday so I'm hoping by the end of this week? Sucks that my 4 and 5 iron won't be in for another 5-6 weeks though. Still stoked to play the PW-6 iron. I've been in love with my Milled Grind wedges. I've been playing nothing but Vokeys for the past 3 years, this was my first time venturing to a different wedge. Love the Modus shafts I got them in as well, just a great overall setup. Invested in all Taylormade this year and so far they've all been paying off. These 790s will be a nice addition to my set.

For those who've had them for a few weeks. How do they wear?

I heard a P790 2 iron will be available sometime in November. I'm getting one for sure!

Yeah…but I couldn't wait! lol I had a 3 iron bent strong and it's a missile launcher!

Golf Galaxy sim was spewing out 189-203 carry with the 7 iron on the P790.

I'll try and hold off any real judgement until I hit them on the open range, but that's quite something. They didn't feel or look big. nice profile, actually.

Golf Galaxy sim was spewing out 189-203 carry with the 7 iron on the P790.

I'll try and hold off any real judgement until I hit them on the open range, but that's quite something. They didn't feel or look big. nice profile, actually.

How did the strike feel for you? I tried the other day and didnt really like the feel at all.

How did the strike feel for you? I tried the other day and didnt really like the feel at all.

It was a bit more manufactured than a traditional blade or something that's full body but I think the improvement on sound for the hollow body profile has improved by large margins over the last year or two.

Can't say absolutely as I was in a sim as opposed to on the open range, but I don't remember it sounding off-putting.

Back