TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

For me the feel has been very good on center strikes. The sound is really powerful too. My playing partners have mentioned how powerful they sound. On low thin strikes, the feel is terrible and worse than my Pings or Mizunos. Much more harsh but I guess it should be bad. The performance on those strikes is fabulous though. Probably the least amount of distance loss I’ve seen in an iron with thin shots. Heel and toe shots are just a muted bad feel. Really tough to identify where you actually missed the shot but knowing my swing I know immediately where I missed it.

They are definitely a different iron. You just are going to feel different things with a hollow body like this vs other traditional irons. The distance gains are real. I hit a 9 iron 162 last Friday. The problem was it was supposed to go 150 and it ended up in a bunker. That’s a problem for me. The distance gains on long irons are nice. That’s where a hacker like myself can use it. Those iron distances in traditional sets get compressed. I love the distance gains all around and the distance gains on missed shots really helps. It’s yet to be seen if I can truly dial in the overall distances and play consistent golf with this set though. Just trying to be real here and not blow smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the feel has been very good on center strikes. The sound is really powerful too. My playing partners have mentioned how powerful they sound. On low thin strikes, the feel is terrible and worse than my Pings or Mizunos. Much more harsh but I guess it should be bad. The performance on those strikes is fabulous though. Probably the least amount of distance loss I’ve seen in an iron with thin shots. Heel and toe shots are just a muted bad feel. Really tough to identify where you actually missed the shot but knowing my swing I know immediately where I missed it.

They are definitely a different iron. You just are going to feel different things with a hollow body like this vs other traditional irons. The distance gains are real. I hit a 9 iron 162 last Friday. The problem was it was supposed to go 150 and it ended up in a bunker. That’s a problem for me. The distance gains on long irons are nice. That’s where a hacker like myself can use it. Those iron distances in traditional sets get compressed. I love the distance gains all around and the distance gains on missed shots really helps. It’s yet to be seen if I can truly dial in the overall distances and play consistent golf with this set though. Just trying to be real here and not blow smoke.

Really good thoughts Eric! I appreciate you're honest feedback man. They sound very similar to how the CF16's played for me to be honest, which is a good thing for most people. I just needed something a little different which is why I've settled into my current irons.

I know you were looking for some more forgiveness and these seem to fit that profile well. Hope you can get those short irons dialed and I'm looking forward to your continued thoughts.

I think a P770/790-4&5i set would be pretty tough to beat, maybe a P790 6i also. They are great looking irons imo and the best looking TM has put out in quite some time.

Really good thoughts Eric! I appreciate you're honest feedback man. They sound very similar to how the CF16's played for me to be honest, which is a good thing for most people. I just needed something a little different which is why I've settled into my current irons.

I know you were looking for some more forgiveness and these seem to fit that profile well. Hope you can get those short irons dialed and I'm looking forward to your continued thoughts.

I think a P770/790-4&5i set would be pretty tough to beat, maybe a P790 6i also. They are great looking irons imo and the best looking TM has put out in quite some time.

Yep. I'll tell you straight up my feelings on just about any club. I don't mind admitting to making a mistake even when it costs me. These are so good overall but if I can't dial in the distances, they will be moving on. I love the idea of getting tour pro distances but only if they are consistent. I won't be going to try and fix something with a mixed set most likely. I'm sitting on a set of JPX 900s I love but never really played. We'll see.

Well the Titleist guy screwed around and let me get away, even though I have a weird TM iron dislike I am going to hit these next chance possible. They seem to check all the boxes from reading this thread and the shaft options are quite good.

FINALLY got dialed in with my P790 distances! Had the range to myself yesterday so I hit 20 Pro V1x balls with each club out to a friend who lasered each shot back to me and I compiled a distance chart. Played my 5th round today with the P790's and used the chart to hit 15 greens without airmailing any. I really enjoy knowing where I'm striking the clubface which I think is a key benefit of forged players irons. They continue to feel like butter and I can't wait to get the 2 iron. My handicap has been stuck in neutral for 3 seasons and I feel these sticks will help me lower it.

Played a late afternoon round today and didn't have any of the big fliers or distance issues at all. I paced off many of my shots into greens today always playing a shorter club than normal. I am finding I am about 6-8 paces (1/2 club) longer with these irons than my Pings. I am going to play 3 times this weekend. My plans are to play twice with the P790s and squeeze a round with the JPX 900 Forged in so I'll be able to really see if there are any differences there. One thing I do keep having is those WOW moments. I played my 4 iron off the tee on a 546 yard par 5 today. Hit it again for my second shot to inside 100 yards. Started doing the math in my head and realized I had just hit those 2 shots over 450 yards. That's big for me. Also hit a 5 iron thin to an uphill 194 yard pin to about 8 feet. When I hit it I told my partners it was terrible. One of them said it got on the green and I couldn't believe it. That same shot with my Pings would have been 10-15 yards short which is where I prefer to miss on that hole. Those type shots will keep them in the bag and if the fliers come back really bad, I'll have some pondering.

size comparison to wilson c200

i was expecting the 790 to be bigger than it actually is

cgsP3oL.jpg

I feel as though they're the perfect size who someone looking for a forgiving players iron. I know the two words contradict one another in a sense, but I think they hit the nail on the head with this club. Love how they stayed away from the face slots as well. Best looking iron I've seen in years.

UPDATE: Mine just came in to my pro shop, only 6-PW but stoke to hit these tonight. Not touching my woods, going 6 iron off every tee so I can maximize iron use. This should be fun!

Last edited:
size comparison to wilson c200

i was expecting the 790 to be bigger than it actually is

cgsP3oL.jpg

Why were you expecting them to be bigger? They are marketed as "players irons"

Fun giving away two sets of these today to THPers.

That is AWESOME. I am really interested in these and can't wait to get out and try them. I look forward to hearing what they think!

If I didn’t already have a set I would be begging you right now. Someone is going to be supremely happy this afternoon.

If I didn’t already have a set I would be begging you right now. Someone is going to be supremely happy this afternoon.

You should check out the THP Live or the UST Mamiya Event thread...

You should check out the THP Live or the UST Mamiya Event thread...

Have to wait til I get home. Too much work going on today. That stupid day job you know.

Hit these yesterday on the course for the first time... Only 6-PW with the 4 and 5 being on back order. Just wow, they're pure. I had so many people asking me what irons I was playing, they loved the look of them. I personally loved sticking greens with them, these things have stopping power. The descent angle plays a role since they launch high, but I spun a few 9 irons back yesterday from 155. Beauty clubs, can't wait to use them again today. I'm about a full club and change longer with these from my 716 AP2's. I understand loft plays a big role. But I used to hit my AP2 7i about 160 carry. I now carry my 8 iron about 165. Crazy speed foam.

I got my first chance to hit the 730's last night and enjoyed the feel from them. It would scare the piss out of me to use them but it's fun to imagine.

I got my first chance to hit the 730's last night and enjoyed the feel from them. It would scare the piss out of me to use them but it's fun to imagine.

Haha. Scary : )

TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I’ve got a round tomorrow and I’ll share some thoughts.

Initial impression is when you hit these square the feel is incredible. I also got instant feedback on a shot that I hit on the inside so that was nice. They are long as well. Played good into a lot of wind today. I’m interested to see how these do at my home course.

How about this 8 iron into our 165 yard par 3?

4edc6c64872ec237ac81a81aeab16daa.jpg

Held the 790’s in hand today and they are smaller than I thought, very nice. Toss up between these and the Mizuno MMC’s.

Played another round today with these heads with the 110 F5 Recoil combination and I’ll say these are some very pretty irons.

Shots hit square on the face have a great sound, feel and the distance is fantastic. The top line does not look bulky at all. It definitely inspires confidence at address.

I hit them pretty poor to start my round but I’ll admit, my swing felt a little out of sorts at first. Later in the round my swing came around a little more and I saw some more positive results with a nice piercing trajectory when hit well. Balls held the line pretty well without a ton of movement and that is with a lot of wind the last two days.

One thing I’ll mention from yesterday is I took them by Dicks to show a friend and he took one swing in our sim and immediately said wow these are a club to a club and a half longer for me. They feel great and not real bulky he said, as he plays a more traditional players type iron.

Overall I’m excited to get some more swings in with these and see the continued results and consistency.

Dropped 3 or 4 darts my last round with these irons. I like them so much I'm debating switching my 50 degree milled grind for an A wedge. I only hit full shots with that club anyways, only use my 54 and 58 around the greens anyways.

Hit about 30 balls with this iron with recoil shaft and they felt really good. Very high launching and every shot within 10 yards of each other with 7 iron...they were 3 yards shorter than the CF 16 iron with same shaft but hit it higher and more straight.

The club head was bit smaller than I was expecting but easy to hit and very solid feeling. Club head gave more feedback than CF16 too as I could easily tell heel vs toe shots.

I am starting to think these irons...:)...they look very sharp and hit the ball very solidly.

Back