TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

PX LZ 5.0. think we also tried the Oban 100 and the MRC 95s. PX LZ gave me best results and it wasn't close.

man my forearms shiver when I see PX. Even though that LZ shaft ends up near the top for my shaft optimizer choices.

man my forearms shiver when I see PX. Even though that LZ shaft ends up near the top for my shaft optimizer choices.

LZ isn't harsh at all. Been loving the 6.0's for a long time now.

So I recently purchased a set of 4-G (I only will be playing 5-G) with the aerotech steel fiber 110 shafts in regular shafts off a member here.

I thought I would be hitting balloons but the height apex and descent have been phenomenal for me. I think the weight helps with this.

However, the main thing I noticed is how much move forgiving these irons are compared to my Apexs....absolutely incredible - my miss is on the toe and these will let you know when you hit it outside but they are still fairly on line and not nearly as penal as my previous irons.

So I recently purchased a set of 4-G (I only will be playing 5-G) with the aerotech steel fiber 110 shafts in regular shafts off a member here.

I thought I would be hitting balloons but the height apex and descent have been phenomenal for me. I think the weight helps with this.

However, the main thing I noticed is how much move forgiving these irons are compared to my Apexs....absolutely incredible - my miss is on the toe and these will let you know when you hit it outside but they are still fairly on line and not nearly as penal as my previous irons.

Glad you are liking my babies.

Got my first round with a fitted set of these, and man it was great. I hit 8 GIR (which is sadly a lot for me) and on a couple holes ball was dead aim at the flag but I didn't account for wind/was afraid these would go a lot longer. Once I got my head around distance I finished really strong getting 4 pars to finish, 2 over for the last 6 holes with one of those being a 3 jack bogey.

Little more time to get comfortable with these and I am looking forward to golf this spring/summer!

as good as these irons are, I think it's time we head for a divorce.

I just divorced from my about an hour ago

What are you thinking about going to? After I hit the 5I at the range I was full planning to find a GAPR hi 25* to replace it... then I hit it on the course and I hit it better than my Launcher HBs which are as forgiving as they come.

What are you thinking about going to? After I hit the 5I at the range I was full planning to find a GAPR hi 25* to replace it... then I hit it on the course and I hit it better than my Launcher HBs which are as forgiving as they come.

I actually don't know. Lot's of good options out there, Ping i210/g410, Srixon z585, Callaway Apex/Apex Pro. I'm just not getting out of these what I want. Don't get me wrong, they are a phenomenal set of sticks. Maybe I can just throw the C-Taper Lite back in and give it another ago. But I feel like I am just spinning my wheels. I struggle with getting the 6-7 up in the air to get any kind of consistency out of them.

I actually don't know. Lot's of good options out there, Ping i210/g410, Srixon z585, Callaway Apex/Apex Pro. I'm just not getting out of these what I want. Don't get me wrong, they are a phenomenal set of sticks. Maybe I can just throw the C-Taper Lite back in and give it another ago. But I feel like I am just spinning my wheels. I struggle with getting the 6-7 up in the air to get any kind of consistency out of them.

That is tough. On my set we went weak by at least a degree from 5-8I. One degree won’t make that big of a difference but has made me more comfortable at least...

Thought we had a deal for 585s already lol

I have tried the p790 with F4 780 recoils too and I found them hard to hit with consistency, as they are too light...I now have these clubs with recoil 95 and much happier with them...anything less than 90 grams for shafts is just too light for me.

I don't have that high of speed (low 90s is where I live) but these were easily the best Iron I have hit. Fastest ball speed + lower spin = huge distance gains, but also best dispersion.

In my initial testing with them (picked up a set 2nd hand for a good price) I found them to be super long in the longer irons, but similar to my previous set in the short irons. Which created some big gaps for me.

After my fitting we are adjusting the lofts on the 5/6/7/8 up (weaker) leaving 9I alone and strengthening Pw/GW which should hopefully even out the yardages.
Your experience sounds exactly like mine. When I was fitted the dispersions, ball speed and even swing speeds increased slightly. Have the Nippon 1150 shafts. All that coupled with the couple degrees stronger loft and I hit these irons farther then I have any other iron. The ball flight is penetrating and landing soft.

I have been smoking the long irons too, at least 12 yards avg gain on my 4 iron for example which is crazy to think about, hitting the 4 iron long enough where I took my 7 wood out of the bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i played with a guy yesterday who games these with c taper shafts. he was ridiculously consistent, but they sounded so clicky every time he hit the ball.

I was initially fit to the P790 then went to PXG... sold the 790's to a member here and let me tell you, what a foolish move.

I then repurchased 790's with Recoil 95's and I am back to hitting irons the way I want. Don't sell golf clubs, it isn't worth it!

i played with a guy yesterday who games these with c taper shafts. he was ridiculously consistent, but they sounded so clicky every time he hit the ball.
Funny, I got these because my previous set felt clicky (Epic Pro). By comparison, the p790s feel really smooth and are way more pleasing to the ears.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Funny, I got these because my previous set felt clicky (Epic Pro). By comparison, the p790s feel really smooth and are way more pleasing to the ears.

it was definitely odd, but extremely noticeable. i've tested p790 twice. once i hated it, the second time i really liked it.

Both my regular playing partners think mine are sweet, hell my stepdad is talking about getting fit and buying some himself.

I don't know if clicky is the right word but in the end they feel plush and stable at bottom, ball flies far.

It’s definitely clicky but in its own unique way... it’s not cast clicky but isn’t buttery forged soft. At the end of the day it sends the ball, it helps me a lot. I have a set of PXG’s in the garage that are much better feeling but I’m a club behind the p790s despite both sets being built to the exact specs

Both my regular playing partners think mine are sweet, hell my stepdad is talking about getting fit and buying some himself.

I don't know if clicky is the right word but in the end they feel plush and stable at bottom, ball flies far.

Stable is definitely a good way to put it. I paired it up with some PX lz shafts and I cant get over how powerful they feel. The shaft loads and the club head just sends it a mile.

Stable is definitely a good way to put it. I paired it up with some PX lz shafts and I cant get over how powerful they feel. The shaft loads and the club head just sends it a mile.

Exactly right, it feels like when I am hitting well the ball just launches almost effortlessly. There have been a few I just don't feel like I hit well land right up on green no problem. Just love the cg and the stability at bottom myself.

Played Texas Scramble on Monday and the P790 just impressed me so much.

We just finished the 9th and my Drive was picked although it was in the rough due to a better angle into the green and a clear spot within the excepted drop zone for the other players.

Against grain with 3/4 of the Ball sticking out with 160y to the pin with a 2 club crosswind. Long story short I sent want up there with a draw and it stopped within 6 ft. None of the other guys who are all lower single figure handicaps got on the green.

This club has so much power that it never crossed my mind that I wouldn’t get there if I got just a bit of the ball.

Can’t s e them leaving the bag soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I did a thing last night...

I've had a TaylorMade discount burning a hole in my pocket (for like a week, smh...), so I caved and bought a set of P790s. These have always peaked my interest, but they were just a little more than I ever wanted to spend. I went with the 780 SMACWRAP Shafts in F4. It will be a total experiment for me with those shafts, but if it doesn't work out, I can always flip for some z585s. :act-up:

So I did a thing last night...

I've had a TaylorMade discount burning a hole in my pocket (for like a week, smh...), so I caved and bought a set of P790s. These have always peaked my interest, but they were just a little more than I ever wanted to spend. I went with the 780 SMACWRAP Shafts in F4. It will be a total experiment for me with those shafts, but if it doesn't work out, I can always flip for some z585s. :act-up:

I think you will love them. They may still be my favorite iron ever, when factoring in looks, feel and performance. I played some really good golf with them last year.

Back