TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

So I did a thing last night...

I've had a TaylorMade discount burning a hole in my pocket (for like a week, smh...), so I caved and bought a set of P790s. These have always peaked my interest, but they were just a little more than I ever wanted to spend. I went with the 780 SMACWRAP Shafts in F4. It will be a total experiment for me with those shafts, but if it doesn't work out, I can always flip for some z585s. :act-up:

they are a fun set dude. I bet you'll enjoy them, and if not, 585s are killer too

Agree with the Ddec, the 790's are fun. You'll enjoy them!

So I did a thing last night...

I've had a TaylorMade discount burning a hole in my pocket (for like a week, smh...), so I caved and bought a set of P790s. These have always peaked my interest, but they were just a little more than I ever wanted to spend. I went with the 780 SMACWRAP Shafts in F4. It will be a total experiment for me with those shafts, but if it doesn't work out, I can always flip for some z585s. :act-up:

Looks like a great set up!
Can't speak for the irons but I have the same shafts in Rogue X, soft stepped and I loved them.

Man these look good in the bag

41126f26b7de5b9873b849257322e2db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think you will love them. They may still be my favorite iron ever, when factoring in looks, feel and performance. I played some really good golf with them last year.

Having now owned your clubs I must say these are an amazing set of irons - it will take ALOT to kick these out of my bag.

My swing still sucks, but MAN did I still enjoy hitting these. The few I pured felt/sounded amazing. I can also confirm, ha, that balls struck off the toe still sound/feel pretty good too. You still get feedback, but its much less harsh than with my z565s.

Today was a good day with the P790s. Had a lesson this morning and then hit up the range afterwards. My swing is definitely coming around, making these a blast to hit. I hit only my 9i during my lesson, and I quickly fell in love with it. My speed is down while I work on mechanics, but I was STILL seeing distances similar to what I saw with my z565 9i. While spin seemed lower on average, I can't really assess that until I increase my SS to where I was last summer, and I did hit one with 7990 RPMs that stopped quickly.

I also really love the look of these irons at address. They are perfect size-wise to my eye. Compact but not blade small. Love the contrast between satin chrome heads and the black/charcoal SMACWRAP shafts. The shafts feel fantastic too. I was nervous ordering them in F4 blind, but I'm very pleased thus far.

Watched a playing partner load his new p790’s just before a medal this weekend. He was literally taking the rappers off whilst waiting to Tee Off.

Both myself and the other player have p790’s so we told him to add 5 yards to every shot as a start and take it from there.

By the third hole his eyes where filled with panic.... he was having a military day off the T with the driver. Left, Right, Left ....

He N/R by the 10th. Started playing irons only and came in with 17 points on the back nine. Never seen a better advert for these clubs! Total of 25 points of his 10 Hcp and you couldn’t wipe the smile of his face.

Almost certain he will play irons only for the next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I found my Happy Place with these bad boys. They barely got any work into today during my round because I cannot get off the tee to save my life--lots of hybrids and wedges. I hit two buckets after my round and had my best session with these irons yet. My 9i and AW were automatic. I hit 7i once because I flushed it. I hit two of the longest 6i's I've ever hit. While the 8i was stubborn, hooking for a bit, I ended my range session with a high 8i that carried to the 150 flag with just a touch of draw. I'm very, very happy with this purchase.

The range i get on these is unreal at times. I clocked an 8 iron 160 today (way over green) and a 9 iron like 150 (again, over green). That's unheard of for my swing and swing speeds.

Had them 6 months and still trying to nail my yardages and trust the clubs and which number I need to pull out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I was fortunate enough to hit some of Chandler’s (Taylormade Chandler) P790s this weekend. He had a quite a unique setup: they were raw (rusted) and bent 2* weak, which lowered the offset, He is a wealth of knowledge for fitting equipment, and understanding the ability and opportunities for optimizing these heads => eye opening. In short, these are lower to mid-handicap players irons that can solve many problems.

In fact, they may be a little mid-understood and better for more of us than originally thought. Hit me with questions.

I was fortunate enough to hit some of Chandler’s (Taylormade Chandler) P790s this weekend. He had a quite a unique setup: they were raw (rusted) and bent 2* weak, which lowered the offset, He is a wealth of knowledge for fitting equipment, and understanding the ability and opportunities for optimizing these heads => eye opening. In short, these are lower to mid-handicap players irons that can solve many problems.

In fact, they may be a little mid-understood and better for more of us than originally thought. Hit me with questions.

For a "player's distance iron," these are pretty darn forgiving, especially in the short irons. I'm still a high cap, but I've gotten along quite well with these. I'm still working on my swing and getting more consistency out of the 6 and 7 irons, but I've been really pleased with what I've seen from 8-AW. They are also really LONG. I'm going to have to spend time dialing in the yardages because I hit some 9 irons last night that just looked longer than I've ever seen.

For a "player's distance iron," these are pretty darn forgiving, especially in the short irons. I'm still a high cap, but I've gotten along quite well with these. I'm still working on my swing and getting more consistency out of the 6 and 7 irons, but I've been really pleased with what I've seen from 8-AW. They are also really LONG. I'm going to have to spend time dialing in the yardages because I hit some 9 irons last night that just looked longer than I've ever seen.

They are definitely long, hence the opportunity to go a tad weaker in lofts. This is interesting to me because I want less offset and this would effectively accomplish that while still providing the forgiveness I need.

I think the only real knock is the occasional “hot” ball from the sweet spot, but the pluses outweigh the minuses by a long way, IMO with these irons. Granted, I don’t game them, but I did have a good discussion about them with the guy who designed them.

They are definitely long, hence the opportunity to go a tad weaker in lofts. This is interesting to me because I want less offset and this would effectively accomplish that while still providing the forgiveness I need.

I think the only real knock is the occasional “hot” ball from the sweet spot, but the pluses outweigh the minuses by a long way, IMO with these irons. Granted, I don’t game them, but I did have a good discussion about them with the guy who designed them.

This is why THP events are so freaking cool!

These are one set of irons that everyone I know that has hit them likes them and wouldn't mind playing them themselves.

Love affair continues with these irons. 4 range sessions this week and each iron has performed beautifully, but need just a little more work with the 6 iron.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just a picture I liked that we posted on social.

WEB2694112-DF33365C-53AE-31EC-5238-F7D4FBE21152.jpg

I have decided to get my P790s back out on the course, and in an effort to do that, I ordered new shafts for the 6-PW. they are currently shafted with DG 120 s400 TI shafts, which are just way too stiff for me. So I am going back to the stock set up, and now my entire set of 4-PW will have DG 105 s300 shafts by the beginning of next week. I am looking forward to dusting these off and get after it, especially since my ball striking has become so much more consistent since the last time I played them consistently.

I am really enjoying these irons paired with the 780 SMACWRAPs--effortless launch and distance. I pured two 9 irons last night at the range that had me re-check the distance to the pin 3 times. Despite being a "players distance iron," I've also found them to be fairly forgiving, especially off the toe--more so than my previous 565s. Low misses are kind of funny. They get almost no launch but still rocket forwards, offering solid total distance for a poor strike.

So after severalrounds and a few range sessions, these irons are amazing - very forgiving and I find I can control the flight relatively easily.

My miss is toe side and while they dont get up as high as a regular shot, distance loss isnt as penal as my previous Apexs.....

i heard that the 790 is up for a retool. curious to see what changes they make. people really seem to love that iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i heard that the 790 is up for a retool. curious to see what changes they make. people really seem to love that iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would think we would see an update soon. The P790 is coming in on its two year birthday.

I went a paid a visit to my 790s yesterday at the shop, as they are still in the process of getting reshafted. The shop has been behind because of the junior golf tournament that has been going on for the last three weeks. I should have them in the next day or so, back to the DG 105 and really to get back on the course!

The range i get on these is unreal at times. I clocked an 8 iron 160 today (way over green) and a 9 iron like 150 (again, over green). That's unheard of for my swing and swing speeds.

Had them 6 months and still trying to nail my yardages and trust the clubs and which number I need to pull out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As I have gone through some significant swing changes, my distances are getting longer and longer. my 7-iron is consistently carrying 174 yards, was 160 yards 3 months ago. My 5-iron is carrying 190 yards, was carrying 175 3 months ago. When I play now, I am in complete panic mode because I still don't trust my new length. I also now have a pretty big gap in my 100 yard to 150 yard range. I am seriously considering purchasing a new set of irons (T100's when they release) only because their lofts are not as aggressive. a 6-iron that carries 175 is fine, but I am almost getting TOO much distance from the P-790s.

Back