The GraniteRoost Bag

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Hello everyone! I am a pretty new member, so I thought I would introduce myself by participating in a little WITB activity. To give a little background, I played a lot of golf as a kid and at varsity level in high school, and then worked in grounds keeping at various courses as a summer job in college. I then lost contact with the game and really didn't touch a club for about 15 years. This spring, something latent clicked and there needed to be golf. I have had a fantastic time picking up the game again, and it has been an added bonus for the mechanical engineer in me that there is 15-20 years worth of technology to catch up with. That being said, it is still very much the same game. This forum has been a great source of entertainment and information and folks here seem very knowledgeable and enthusiastic, in the right sort of way. I have enjoyed reading many of your reviews and WITB makeups as I have chose some new pieces for my set - thanks to all for the benefit of your shared experience.

I like to walk, so I carry a stand bag - Callaway HyperLite 5 holds all my gear.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Running through the bag, from the Boom sticks:

attachment.php

Callaway Big Bertha 815 DBD @ 10*, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 Stiff

Callaway Big Bertha 815 Fairway @ 16*, Fujikura Speeder 665 Stiff

Callaway Apex Hybrid 20*, Kuro Kage Black 80 Stiff

Callaway Apex UT 21*, UST Mayima Recoil 680 Stiff

I went with a 4w & 3h (future alt. 7-wood) setup to try and build forgiveness and consistency from long range. Trying to play smarter, intelligence over power. This is somewhat new approach for me as a strong 13* 3-wood and lower lofted 2-iron have long been key parts of my long game, but I think the higher lofts will play better all around. I am also trying a more driver loft at 10* and may yet go to something like a lofted XR if the DBD does not work out. I have always liked driving irons, and hybrids are new to me, so am playing the Apex hybrid against Apex UT for a while to see how they fit. I do notice the hybrid carries easily 15 yards further though similar shaft length and loft. Both clubs have incredible feel and hit great shots, and as good as the Apex UT is, the Apex Hybrid just feels pure - truly remarkable. While close in yardage both clubs have a spot for now, and play nicely with my weak lofted Apex irons. Speaking of which:

attachment.php

I picked up some Apex '99 blades at a good deal and regripped with Lamkin UTx - am I really liking these grips and the UTx or UTx Wrap will be finding its way onto all the clubs. The heads are in nice shape - fairly minimal wear. Classic irons never grow old. The 4-iron...

attachment.php

And 8-iron...

attachment.php

Moving through the scoring zone I have been a long time Cleveland wedge fan, but he now works at Callaway. Thus, Mack Daddy Tour Slate wedges in 54 and 58 degree. I have am really enjoying these beauties, I have a special place in my heart for wedges.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally, for the most important club in the bag I am currently rolling a Cleveland Classics HB 6.0 mallet. I have been switching it off with a Ping Karsten TR Anser 2, both work well but this one feels a little better at the moment.

attachment.php

For golf ball I have been playing a few different to get a feel for what is out there, but so far Chrome Soft has been a favorite. Wilson Staff FG Tour seems a little curvy, interested to try the Srixon XV and Bridgestone B330. I am not particularly brand loyal, but do prefer to stick with one after I know what works for me. I prefer a Tour level ball, and based on results so far, perhaps the lower spin model from a respective line.

Thanks for reading my WITB, please feel free to comment or question, I appreciate learning from others. I have a couple of other setups that I will probably share in the coming weeks.

Fairways and Greens -GraniteRoost-

Last edited:
Reserving a post for Bag 2. I like playing older persimmon woods and various vintage irons and wedges. Some of those items will show up here.

Nice setup and welcome!

Welcome to the club! Love the Apex's.

great setup and some beautiful irons there. welcome to the forum!

Welcome to THP. I still have my 99 Apex Blades--just not in my gamer bag. They are beauties, but I like the extra forgiveness and distance with the newer irons. The Apex feel incredible when hit well, but sting when you don't!

Great looking set up and those irons look great!

The Apex feel incredible when hit well, but sting when you don't!

Isn't that Truth! As a 13 y.o. in 1991 I was fortunate to have been given a set of Edge GS irons that were my gamers throughout my high school career until this year. The 2-iron was my favorite secret weapon, and the whole set plays beautifully, if careworn. I decided that if I was going to learn to play again, I was going to work on swinging well enough to make quality strike a priority. These blades are my "training" set. #keepingmehonest

Last edited:
Welcome to THP!

Really well done WITB! Great stuff! :)

Isn't that Truth! As a 13 y.o. in 1991 I was fortunate to have been given a set of Edge GS irons that were my gamers throughout my high school career until this year. The 2-iron was my favorite secret tee weapon, and the whole set plays beautifully, if careworn. I decided that if I was going to learn to play again, I was going to work on swinging well enough to make quality strike a priority. These blades are my "training" set. #keepingmehonest

I had the 2 in my set as well. Great off the tee and if I was feeling it, could hit quite well off the deck. They will definitely keep you honest and expose whatever flaws you have.

Solid set up.

Nice setup! Looks like you've got set you know and that works for you, and looks good too!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Very nice setup. Thanks for sharing!

Great Post! - Solid WITB thread.

Nice setup! And welcome to THP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Really well done WITB! Great stuff! :)

Great Post! - Solid WITB thread.

Thanks for the nice comments gents, and from all who read and posted. I spent a lot of time lurking at THP and other places to come back up to speed on club selection, and THP'ers are the best. Happy to be here. I thought the least I could do was share the results of my tinkering!

Thanks for the nice comments gents, and from all who read and posted. I spent a lot of time lurking at THP and other places to come back up to speed on club selection, and THP'ers are the best. Happy to be here. I thought the least I could do was share the results of my tinkering!

Glad to have you.
Excited to get up to New England this year for the THP Event.

Joining the rotation⛳

#S-Grindmy50*

dc1c8b18771a0e9c01435ec8b3ba82be.jpg

2ce81233840573e10f03453ea44ede3b.jpg

#PimpMyGrind

f8b2d3134887ce2745b8565cfaede777.jpg

e59751874c5c83bcbd83d07b438d7c2d.jpg

Swapped in the cavity backs this week as well...

ee292ae77e6aacfd3aadd070eaf51cd8.jpg

28235e72541f341884a17979eb5c9c53.jpg

395d062dde8df6fa3b187b7cdc270ab2.jpg

Looks good!

Love, love, love the Apex blades!

Great setup man.

I started playing Srixon Z745 irons in July. They are sweet

bd00bc9c0f75971e680ea2047cf3792a.jpg

fd35f04b974f3363d2d18609af24996e.jpg

af787f5fc0c56b1efbbf50ec144ad035.jpg

a89af9d563630637259e9937aef33bba.jpg

2e06dcaa83dc87d2381f640107c5244b.jpg