Hats, the kind with sun protection

goalie

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
So, I'm almost 50, and need to start wearing something that actually protects me when it's sunny out.

What are y'all wearing that isn't a floppy Bonnie hat?

Right now I'm wearing a Shelta that I use kayaking, but would like something a little less "camping" and more "golfing."

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

So, I'm almost 50, and need to start wearing something that actually protects me when it's sunny out.

What are y'all wearing that isn't a floppy Bonnie hat?

Right now I'm wearing a Shelta that I use kayaking, but would like something a little less "camping" and more "golfing."

I have more than a dozen golf brand sun hats from Callaway, Titleist,Imperial,Texace, Tillley, Nike, Under Armour,Town Talk, Dorfman Pacific etc.... and this one is my favorite:

https://ping.com/shop/accessories/headwear/boonie-hat

As someone who has had skin cancer issues, I wear a gambler style straw hat.

I ended up with a ten dollar straw hat while picking up cat food today to see how I like wearing a non ball cap.

According to my wife, I'm old enough to pull it off now.
da932479ae2bde8c589645da42d3d3c0.jpg

I'm follically-challenged and have been down this road a lot. think Tilley is the way to go if you want good UV protection and some rain protection (plus longevity and washability).

I have several Tilleys and have used other kinds including what probably is the same Ping Boonie hat referenced in a post above, but in white. There is no indication that the Ping one is UV protected and it has a thin fabric cover on top. The straw one in the post above may look good, but I have similar concerns, especially if there are tiny holes on the top.

Last edited:
Titleist Aussie hat for me. I found one on sale last year, that replaces one I previously bought, which had a very floppy brim, to the point it was useless. The newer versions have firmer brims, so, the brim doesn't flop down over your eyes.

I've been happy with this Aussie Chiller hat. You can soak it with water & then feel it cooling you off as the water evaporates

41ZEUFD0gpL.jpg

It's a bit expensive but it's holding up well.

I've been happy with this Aussie Chiller hat. You can soak it with water & then feel it cooling you off as the water evaporates

41ZEUFD0gpL.jpg

I may need to try this one.

Titleist Aussie hat for me. I found one on sale last year, that replaces one I previously bought, which had a very floppy brim, to the point it was useless. The newer versions have firmer brims, so, the brim doesn't flop down over your eyes.

Another vote for this - I bought one a month ago and it’s great. The string can be tightened to keep it on your head or removed entirely.

41ZEUFD0gpL.jpg

I’ll double/triple stamp this. I have one I bought recently to replace an old straw hat. Best investment I’ve made for cooling my head and getting shade every. Super comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0660.jpgIMG_0659.jpgThis is it. I would sweat by it. Not floppy. Looks good. Can’t fold it and goes right back.

I just bought a perforated Aussie Chiller tonight on Amazon. I'll report back after I give it a go for a while.

Never before have I worn this style hat before, only caps and visors to date. Should be interesting.

I go in and out of worrying about sun protection, my mother in law and father in law have both had skin cancer, I am not nearly as fair skinned but to try and be considerate of my wife and her legitimate concerns with how much time I spend in the sun golfing I picked up some Cowbucker boonie caps. They are pretty good, but I am dumb and bought some in black.... I run hot as it is so looking at some other options that are lightweight and have some mesh venting.

I go in and out of worrying about sun protection, my mother in law and father in law have both had skin cancer, I am not nearly as fair skinned but to try and be considerate of my wife and her legitimate concerns with how much time I spend in the sun golfing I picked up some Cowbucker boonie caps. They are pretty good, but I am dumb and bought some in black.... I run hot as it is so looking at some other options that are lightweight and have some mesh venting.

I know it's repetitious of me to keep saying "Tilley" but...

Well, Tilley. They make an all mesh (except the top) wide brimmed hat, model LTM8. The mesh is fairly breathable, it is still 50 SPF even with the mesh, the brim is stiff enough not to flop in your eyes. And the hat is washable and very durable.

Quite expensive (about $80-$90) but I can wear one for two summers 3x a week including a trip through the washing machine after every other round.

P.S. The washable part is crucial and IMO disqualifies straw hat during the summer unless you live in a very dry climate.

I know it's repetitious of me to keep saying "Tilley" but...

Well, Tilley. They make an all mesh (except the top) wide brimmed hat, model LTM8. The mesh is fairly breathable, it is still 50 SPF even with the mesh, the brim is stiff enough not to flop in your eyes. And the hat is washable and very durable.

Quite expensive (about $80-$90) but I can wear one for two summers 3x a week including a trip through the washing machine after every other round.

P.S. The washable part is crucial and IMO disqualifies straw hat during the summer unless you live in a very dry climate.

Looking at the website, looks perfect except the price for $90. Just ordered a $13.00 model off amazon, will give it a go this weekend and see how it goes. Realistically if it holds up and I can wash it, would be worth the $90 in the long run vs buying multiple cheap hats.

I'd imagine if you shop around enough there are hats out there that are close enough to the Tilley but cost less than half as much. If you can find one, that's a better deal as long as it will handle at least a couple dozen washings. I've just never been patient enough to shop through all the options.

One thing is, I need a BIG hat for my big ol' head. Size 7-7/8" in Tilley. A lot of the ones that are lower priced only go up to a generic "L/XL" that is a bit tight on my noggin (especially when I'm running hot).

I am one that spends A LOT of time in the sun and I try to always wear sun screen and a hat. When golfing I have always used a golf cap and admit it’s not enough, but for vanity sake haven’t been able to get used to wearing an Aussie style hat. I just purchased a Raptor hat from this site https://www.sheltahats.com/ Hoping this will be something that I can get used to wearing as the central California sun can get pretty hot.

I am one that spends A LOT of time in the sun and I try to always wear sun screen and a hat. When golfing I have always used a golf cap and admit it’s not enough, but for vanity sake haven’t been able to get used to wearing an Aussie style hat. I just purchased a Raptor hat from this site https://www.sheltahats.com/ Hoping this will be something that I can get used to wearing as the central California sun can get pretty hot.

These look pretty sweet! Kind of a tactical look to them

Well folks they have cut a piece out of my scalp and piece off my face and next week the second piece off the right hand.
I will save the forum the pictures but do what you can, when 50+ years hits all the damage comes to the surface and there is no going back.

I hate to wear the darn big hats but I have to try and minimize the cutting, the doc tells me as you age it just keeps coming out and the sun is what brings it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear it Jim, but stories like yours motivated me to start protecting myself better.

I wore this cheap hat in the sun last night at league, and found it didn't bother me at all and was quite comfortable.

If that holds true for a few more rounds, I'll start looking at more expensive/nicer options and embrace the old guy look.

107390fa4890bd3d86b013dd05ee475b.jpg

Back