Course Clothing - From Places You’ve Only Played

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
What’s everyone thoughts on clothing from courses... do you collect and wear items from courses you’ve never played?

I happen to collect items with the hope that someday I may visit the course and regularly wear those items on the course.

What do y’all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I do that is when it's because I'm a spectator at an event, but I do like the idea of buying it as a future bucket list commitment to play there.

99% of my golf shirts have a logo of a course I have played or they have no course logo. I only have one golf shirt that I wear that features a course I haven't played and that was given to me by @mr.hicksta

Also I only buy course logo shirts from bucket list type of courses. Not interested in my local muni courses.

A shirt has to really stand out for me to buy one. I prefer the logo on the sleeve versus the chest, but that’s being nit picky.

That being said I’m really happy with the Travis Mathew short I bought from Edgewood.

I have a couple pieces of clothing from courses I have previously played, but it's not something I do all the time. If I feel the need to get something at the course, for whatever reason, then I'll pick out a shirt or pullover.

I don't even like brand logos on my shirts, let alone course logos. That said, if I were to wear a course logo'd shirt it would have to be from a course I'd played.

What’s everyone thoughts on clothing from courses... do you collect and wear items from courses you’ve never played?

It's a no.

Course Clothing - From Places You’ve Only Played

I found an Old Sandwich shirt (footjoy, mint green and white stripes) for 15 dollars on eBay... I finally played the course and saw the same shirt in the pro shop for 125 bucks.

And so... I have shirts from Cypress, Seminole, Liberty National, and Winged Foot in case a future relation brings an invitation to those clubs!

I went to Carmel with my wife last year and we went and ate lunch at the Pebble Beach clubhouse. We set above hole 18 and watched a few golfers come in. We went through the pro shop and bought a bag tag with our anniversary engraved on it to use as a Christmas ornament and a ball marker coin commemorating the 100th anniversary of Pebble Beach being open. I specifically did not buy a hat or a shirt because I didn't play a round there. When I do play there I will buy a shirt and hat for sure, but not until then. I would also only wear a shirt or hat from a tournament I went to. When I go to the Masters I will get a shirt (maybe 2 or 3), but I won't buy one from someone who went and then wear it. There is also a level of prestige required before I would wear a shirt from a course or tourney. I would only wear a major or Ryder Cup shirt or possibly The Players. I would only wear well known courses shirts. Pebble Beach yes, RTJ Trail no for instance. I would also wear a shirt from a memorable experience like The Hideaway (maybe someday if I'm lucky and live long enough) or Gatlinburg Golf Course (where I have played 30+ rounds with my best friends on our golf trip).

I have two shirts with logos from courses I haven't played. One was a gift from my wife when she went to Kapalua with a friend's family. The other is a logo I don't recognize on the sleeve of a Peter Millar polo I got for such a good price I couldn't pass up. If I were able to get that deal again, I would have three shirts with logos from courses I haven't played.

I only have one shirt that I bought (Puma) when playing Oakland Hills a long time ago, that I’ve only wore once. I just typically won’t buy apparel from a course unless it really stands out and speaks to me.

A shirt has to really stand out for me to buy one. I prefer the logo on the sleeve versus the chest, but that’s being nit picky.

That being said I’m really happy with the Travis Mathew short I bought from Edgewood.

Ditto!, I wore my Travis Matthew polo yesterday. It's a nice looking shirt and the Edgewood Resort logo on the sleeve is a nice reminder of a great trip.

I have maybe a handful of shirts with course logo's out of the hundreds of courses I've played.

If I play a Top 100 (Public or Private lists) course, I buy a nice bag tag to collect as my memento.

The only course polo I have is a Muirfield Village Tiger Woods polo, and that is only bc I took 2nd in the outing there so I had $100 pro shop credit to burn — and that took $96 of it.

Otherwise, I don’t bother with course polos.

Guess I’m strange... I’m a sucker for a logo, golf history, and that prestige so I have a lot of swag from places I’ll likely never play.

I’ve found that a lot of high end clubs don’t have bag tags, members only =(

99% of my golf shirts have a logo of a course I have played or they have no course logo. I only have one golf shirt that I wear that features a course I haven't played and that was given to me by @mr.hicksta

Also I only buy course logo shirts from bucket list type of courses. Not interested in my local muni courses.

Count me in this list, too. That hicksta fella is a good one.

I wear shirts from the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach and Dancing Rabbit. I'll typically get one from nicer courses I have played or tournaments I've attended. But, the caveat is that the logo can't by terribly large or ugly. I have a shirt from Ross Bridge on the RTJ Golf Trail but the RTJ logo on the sleeve has so much thread to it that it has shrunk some and looks really odd.

I've had shirts and caps from courses I didn't play, or tournaments I didn't attend, that I received as gifts.

I usually buy a shirt/hat/visor from courses I've played with the exception of a Masters visor my pro bought me.

I like to wear stuff branded from my home course, but otherwise I dont go out of my way to buy a logod item.

Ive never played Augusta but I own 2 golf shirts with the logo

I also own shirts from Royal Portrush and Pinehurst #2 which I never played and I own a shirt from Shinnecock Hills from the US open last year (ALso a cool belt) and a shirt from the Presidents Cup at LIberty National...

So I am a mixed bag lol.

I don't normally buy clothing from courses, but I almost always buy a ball marker from any new course I play. Not sure what I am going to do with them all, but it is a cheap memento.

At famous courses I might buy a shirt or hat.

Guess I’m strange... I’m a sucker for a logo, golf history, and that prestige so I have a lot of swag from places I’ll likely never play.

I’ve found that a lot of high end clubs don’t have bag tags, members only =(

Really? Damn, that’s different than what I’ve experienced and could foil my plan to have a wall mounted display case for bag tags from every Top 100 I play.

So far I haven’t ran into this, even at places like Muirfield Village (hell they even engraved my name on it for free), but sounds like I will eventually.

I usually look at the price tag, recoil in horror, and then go about my day...

Wife and I have a San Francisco to San Diego road trip planned next month. We will be stopping in Carmel, and I will be getting a Pebble Beach shirt or hat. I will likely never be able to play there.

I have a cap a friend brought back for me from his trip to The Old Course. Somewhere, never worn it.

That's the only item of clothing (or golf gear) that I can think of from a place I've never played. Can't really imagine wanting to wear something that's a souvenir of a trip I never actually made.

Back