Oakley Sunglasses

I continually find myself ordered items in outlandish colors because they're 30-40% cheaper than black and navy.

61Yr03H2K-L._UX679_.jpg

I have that exact pair, love them!

So far, I have Prizm Golf and Prizm Road lenses for my Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses (gloss black frames, red ear socks and nose pieces). Love the Golf, the Roads are OK. We mostly play in Sedona and I like lenses that make the green grass and red rocks colors "pop". The Road lenses don't do that, the Golfs do.

With the various Prizm lenses, the light transmission and lens base tint (I like the rose a lot more than grey, haven't tried tungsten) seems to be the most important, the outside lens color less so except for what they look like. Polarization is certainly another variable for golf vs other activities.

I have been planning on trying the Prizm Shallow Water polarized next because of the lens base tint and light transmission (and the green color looks great), but my wife just got some Oakley Siphon glasses with Prizm Ruby Iridium polarized lenses and the color intensity is awesome (OK, I went to college in the 60s...). I think those will probably be next before heading down to Sedona in a week or so.

Of course, I am now also pondering a pair of custom Oakley Holbrook glasses with the tortoise shell frames, Prizm Shallow Water polarized lenses and red Oakley "O" for an accent...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So far, I have Prizm Golf and Prizm Road lenses for my Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses (gloss black frames, red ear socks and nose pieces). Love the Golf, the Roads are OK. We mostly play in Sedona and I like lenses that make the green grass and red rocks colors "pop". The Road lenses don't do that, the Golfs do.

With the various Prizm lenses, the light transmission and lens base tint (I like the rose a lot more than grey, haven't tried tungsten) seems to be the most important, the outside lens color less so except for what they look like. Polarization is certainly another variable for golf vs other activities.

I have been planning on trying the Prizm Shallow Water polarized next because of the lens base tint and light transmission (and the green color looks great), but my wife just got some Oakley Siphon glasses with Prizm Ruby Iridium polarized lenses and the color intensity is awesome (OK, I went to college in the 60s...). I think those will probably be next before heading down to Sedona in a week or so.

Of course, I am now also pondering a pair of custom Oakley Holbrook glasses with the tortoise shell frames, Prizm Shallow Water polarized lenses and red Oakley "O" for an accent...

FWIW, I have the baseball outfield Prizm and really like them. The Golf one has too high of light transmission, and the baseball one is much lower and closer to my other sunglasses. As far as colors, I think it's tuned very similarly to the Golf Prizm. I can track the ball really well and green seems to pop well too.

FWIW, I have the baseball outfield Prizm and really like them. The Golf one has too high of light transmission, and the baseball one is much lower and closer to my other sunglasses. As far as colors, I think it's tuned very similarly to the Golf Prizm. I can track the ball really well and green seems to pop well too.

How are the prizm lenses when looking into the sun though? Cause they look like they’d do absolutely nothing to stop a 5:30 glare

How are the prizm lenses when looking into the sun though? Cause they look like they’d do absolutely nothing to stop a 5:30 glare

Not great but nothing but the darkest lenses will do that. It’s a trade off but the Prism golf is great for all around. I have the Targetline frames with the Black Iridium for the really bright days but like the Prism Golf most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My normal sunglasses are polarized Oakleys with 13% transmission, and the baseball Prizm are plenty good enough in comparison (at 15%). I don't think the golf Prizm (30%) would work for me here in Tucson though. I can't even go outside without sunglasses, so if it works for me, it seems pretty good.

Lol which one of these endorsement deals doesn’t fit?
005f41c57b6094ad4bae18d4a4a406e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I continually find myself ordered items in outlandish colors because they're 30-40% cheaper than black and navy.

61Yr03H2K-L._UX679_.jpg

I do the same thing. I've actually snagged 4 or 5 new pairs of Oakleys this summer on clearance at REI or discounted at my club. All but one of them were in the $65-$90 range.

I really need to pull the trigger on some prizm golf flaks, I've been staring at them for so long.

Really glad this thread resurfaced. I've never owned Oakleys, but have now taken the first step. I just ordered some Straightlinks with RX, sapphire iridium mirror, non-polarized. These are for daily use and driving, but I might try them for golf too.

But now I'm looking for a dedicated pair for golf.
I went to the Oakley store the other day and had a really nice and knowledgeable sales rep help me out. We even took 6-7 pairs outside the store and he had me try them on. I will say that I have very sensitive eyes when it comes to light, and of course here in Vegas we get crazy sun year round. He also cautioned me about any lenses with red/orange hues (prizm trail was one) as he said that wont enhance the green hues on a golf course.

I'm interested in what you guys think are good Oakley golf options? My impressions:
Prizm Golf: just too light for my eyes, phenominal contrast, very bright in full sun.
Prizm Dark Golf: Better, good contrast, but still a shade too light for me.
Deep Water: Loved these lenses. Not as much contrast and pop, but relaxing and the right amount of light protection.
Prizm Trail: awesome contrast and medium darkness, greens seemed subdued and blended.

I tried on various polarized sets and didn't see any loss of depth perception. Thoughts on polarized for golf?

Thanks!

Saw some flack 2.0 xls with prizm golf lenses on Amazon for $100. Ordered some assuming they were fake or mislabeled, but seem to be legit. Will give them a go this weekend. :banana:

baylrballa;n8636632 said:
Saw some flack 2.0 xls with prizm golf lenses on Amazon for $100. Ordered some assuming they were fake or mislabeled, but seem to be legit. Will give them a go this weekend. :banana:

got a pic?

I just picked this new style called Sylas up for an everyday pair at Oakley Vault. Super comfy, light weight and look great but once I got outside with them they arenÂ’t very dark at all and IÂ’m kind of bummed actually.
On top of it you can see your eyes through the lenses. Not sure if IÂ’m going to keep them or not.

112a0864b64f29e32f43862cc8298a83.jpg

jdtox;n8876062 said:
I just picked this new style called Sylas up for an everyday pair at Oakley Vault. Super comfy, light weight and look great but once I got outside with them they arenÂ’t very dark at all and IÂ’m kind of bummed actually.
On top of it you can see your eyes through the lenses. Not sure if IÂ’m going to keep them or not.

Dude, I really dig those and that shape!

I really didn't need to see this thread because I need new lenses in the worst way.

and jdtox - those googles are awesome looking. awesome.

Canadan;n8876088 said:
Dude, I really dig those and that shape!

I like them a lot too, just bugs me that they are so light

jdtox;n8876139 said:
I like them a lot too, just bugs me that they are so light

I checked the numbers, 17% light trans..

My roads are 20%
My shallow waters are 15%
My deep waters are 12%
Golf is like 30%

I want the dark golf Prizms now... They are 22%

I have had some Prizm Ruby Polarized lenses in my Flak 2.0 frames for a couple months and I love them. We are in Northern Arizona and golf in Sedona quite a bit. I love the way they make the dry desert blue sky, red rock and green grass colors pop. For me, the 17% light transmission is about right.

I like them better than the golf and road lenses. I need to locate some shallow water and Jade Polarized lenses to try but will probably need to go down to Phoenix (in August!) to try some...

FWIW, while looking at some Holbrooks, I tried on some Oakley Holstons and prefer that size/shape.

I can't find anything for golf that works better than the XLJ's for me.....this is my 3rd pair I think. Never move and are super comfortable.

I have been looking more for everyday wearers....grabbed a few cheap pairs of shady Ray's to experiment with but looking at some holbrooks in Oakley.
63f7d8fa29ccdeb3c36085c4a47ba04d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FatChance;n8877922 said:
I have had some Prizm Ruby Polarized lenses in my Flak 2.0 frames for a couple months and I love them. We are in Northern Arizona and golf in Sedona quite a bit. I love the way they make the dry desert blue sky, red rock and green grass colors pop. For me, the 17% light transmission is about right.

I like them better than the golf and road lenses. I need to locate some shallow water and Jade Polarized lenses to try but will probably need to go down to Phoenix (in August!) to try some...

FWIW, while looking at some Holbrooks, I tried on some Oakley Holstons and prefer that size/shape.

I decided to give them another try because I liked the look of them and have to admit the more I wore them the more I liked them. It was a bit of a change coming from the sapphire prizm color wise especially when driving but now after wearing them for 2 days and then wearing the sapphire lenses yesterday I kind of missed them.

I’m going to wear them golfing today to see how that works out. At some point I do want to get some actual golf lenses though

jdtox;n8878202 said:
I decided to give them another try because I liked the look of them and have to admit the more I wore them the more I liked them. It was a bit of a change coming from the sapphire prizm color wise especially when driving but now after wearing them for 2 days and then wearing the sapphire lenses yesterday I kind of missed them.

I’m going to wear them golfing today to see how that works out. At some point I do want to get some actual golf lenses though

Let us know how it goes. I like the looks of those and could use a lower profile pair for golf for sure. How wide are they? Currently rocking 4 pairs of Holbrooks, which I love size wise.

jdtox;n8876062 said:

Those seem similar to my Oakley Chainlinks that I really really like. I wear them more than my old FLak and my new Flak 2.0s.

Did anyone else have problems with the Flaks being too small for your big head? I want to like them but they don't play well with my XL head

bajapalm;n8881155 said:
Did anyone else have problems with the Flaks being too small for your big head? I want to like them but they don't play well with my XL head
Define XL head? I wear I think a fitted M/L hat myself and think they fit great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a hard time or cannot wear the one size fits all. A trucker hat might work occasionally but on last button. I’m about a 7 3/4. Cranial capacity !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back