Arm sleeves for sun protection?

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone using them? I played golf yesterday and two guys in my foursome were wearing them. They swear by them. I'm intrigued.

It keeps the sun directly off your skin, which keeps you cooler. I play with a guy who swears by them.

scott.french3;n8874906 said:
Anyone using them? I played golf yesterday and two guys in my foursome were wearing them. They swear by them. I'm intrigued.

I've been pondering them constantly but I haven't yet.

Looking forward to the feedback in here.

My main playing partner is fair skinned and wearing those sleeves made a world of difference for him too. He wears them every round now.

I wear long sleeved dry fit shirts when it is really sunny out. Works fine but I still apply sunscreen on my arms. The sun is out to get us all.

I play with sleeves, from Tough Outfitters. Really comfy, keeps me cool and blocks the sun (SPF50).

You mean a long sleeve shirt ? That's all I wear.

Haven't used an arm sleeve before have considered using one. I think it is a good idea.

Yes, I use the sun sleeves whenever it's short-sleeve weather (usually about The Masters through Thanksgiving) and switch to long-sleeved shirts when the temps are under 55-60F or so. Have been for quite a few years now.

I get the moderately priced not-name-brand ones from Amazon for about $25-$30 a pair. A pair will last 2-3 summers if I wear and wash them basically once a week (i.e. I have three pairs that I alternate). After about 100 times in the sun and going through the washer they get too stretched out to fit properly. I never put them in the dryer, straight out of the washing machine they will dry in about six hours just hanging on the back of a chair.

scott.french3;n8874906 said:

I've played with them for a year and half and I swear by them. The compression helps my Golfer's elbow and keeps the sun off my arms.
Also don't have that greasy build up on my arms from lotion. I bought mine from Amazon. I have them in White and Black.

I won a pair of the Foot Joy sun sleeves at league one evening. I don't wear them so i gave them to the wife. She has numerous brands but swears at how good the FJ one's are. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for some!

I picked up a single sleeve to wear on my left arm to keep my glove dry. Works pretty well as long as there's a little wind. Being that I'm in OK, there's a decent wind abut 362 days each year so I'm covered.

Et Tu Brute?;n8874924 said:
Yes, I use the sun sleeves whenever it's short-sleeve weather (usually about The Masters through Thanksgiving) and switch to long-sleeved shirts when the temps are under 55-60F or so. Have been for quite a few years now.

Why not wear long sleeve shirts year round ?

I’ve been contemplating a set for a while now. Anyone have any brands/links they really like?

I have a pair that I use mountain biking. there really work well, and have the added bonus of cooling you if you put water on them. Which is a big deal in AZ. I've not tried them with gold yet, as this pair has stretched over the 5+ years of use. Mine are Pearl Izumi. They were considered the gold standard for MTB. A lot of the "cheaper" ones did not stay up even with the static position of cycling.

Not for me, I associate them too much with basketball haha plus I'm Greek so the sun doesn't bother me too much (other than my balding/buzzed head lol)

I'm a big fan of these. If I don't wear my UA cold gear long sleeved compression shirt under my polo then I'm wearing sun sleeves. I'm also in the camp of throwing them in the washer as soon as I'm done for a quick rinse and then let them air dry.

I don't have a favorite brand but am open to recommendations. So far I've used mostly basketball sleeves but see they have golf ones as well (albeit at a higher price).

Yea I wear them all the time. I’ve tried a few brands and shineymod are the ones I like. They fit great and last a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubleb21;n8874933 said:
I won a pair of the Foot Joy sun sleeves at league one evening. I don't wear them so i gave them to the wife. She has numerous brands but swears at how good the FJ one's are. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for some!

I wear these (FootJoy) sleeves and love them. They are very high quality. My arms actually feel cooler with them on than if I'm going bare skin. I'm not sure, but, FootJoy may have discontinued them though. The only place I've found them is a site called Golf Anything--link below. They are a little pricier than some other brands or the generics one can find on Amazon, but worth it IMO.

https://golfanything.com/products/fo...-50-spf-unisex

Edit: Dang. Just noticed they are sold out!

I just recently tried the Nike solar sleeves. I like them. Want to try others. All about he same price it seems. My arms sure appreciate them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have thought about getting some of these. Since I have been playing the last 2 months, my arms have certainly been burned a few times with my fair skin. I do use sun block, but the feeling of it is not always comfortable. Will give a cheapo set from Amazon a try before I get out for another round.

jlaakso;n8874914 said:
I play with sleeves, from Tough Outfitters. Really comfy, keeps me cool and blocks the sun (SPF50).

I use Tough Outfitters too. I like how they feel & it's so much easier than applying sunscreen - usually I forget to reapply at the turn & get too much sun anyway. This way is much more reliable. When they get wet, the convection of the drying water really cools the arms!

DG_1234;n8874939 said:
Why not wear long sleeve shirts year round ?
If most people are like me, I have a ton of short sleeve polos but few long sleeve golf shirts with the nice fabric. This turns all of those into long sleeve shirts at a fraction of the price.

I started wearing a sun shirt at the lake this year. They are actually cooler than being exposed oddly enough. I doubt it would be cool under a golf shirt though.

I went and looked. The sleeves I'm gaming now are Nike Elite UV sleeves. I got 2 for $20 at Dick's. They're branded for basketball but I use them both for basketball and golf. The box has these advantages listed:
1 - UVA and UVB protection
2 - Dri-Fit Technology: Sweat wicking material helps keep you dry and comfortable
3 - Flat seams feel smooth against your skin.

So far, so good with me. I've used them for golf about 3 or 4 full rounds and for basketball (outdoors) for about 5 or 6 times.

Back