Minimum standard for belt loops

oumagic

‘24 NFL Experience at Ballyhack
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.2
I apologize if this has been previously covered and shut down due to it being a controversial topic, but there should be a minimum number of belt loops on a pair of shorts to be still called “golf shorts.”

I prefer 6 loops on a pair of golf shorts, but the absolute minimum should be 5. I have some with 5 loops that are strategically placed to hold up my pants while my significant girth repeatedly bends up and down over a 3 hour round (optimistic, I know).

I would even be ok with this minimum being adjusted by waste size. Size small and medium? Sure, 4 loops will work. But seriously, I have a size 42 pair of “golf shorts” with 4 belt loops and 11” spacing on belt loops is inadequate. God forbid I break one of those 4 in a round; that was an emergency type of situation for all that never needs repeated.

There also need to be a minimum standard to loop placement based on size. There MUST be loops placed on both sides of the butt crack in size 38 and above (photo attached). That will allow a normal strength belt to keep someone wearing that size of shorts from showing their butt when bending over to tee the ball.

If the USGA really wants to help the average golfer, they would stop tinkering with the rule book and come up with some kind “German Beer Purity Law” in regards to golf apparel. Once they fix the belt loop regulations, they need to move onto minimum thickness for “athletic socks” and UPF 50 minimum for all “golf shirts”

Attachments

• photo35933.jpg
    photo35933.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 9
Haha at controversial

I vote for 7 like my Levi's, 3 in back, 1 each side and, 2 in front to support the keg.:bashful:

Turtlerancher;n8879198 said:
I vote for 7 like my Levi's, 3 in back, 1 each side and, 3 in front to support the keg.:bashful:

Agreed. The more the better. High availability beltloops should be a requirement on all pants. Can’t have failures.

Be a golf fashion innovator, use suspenders.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Didn't realize it was that serious, but I can see your point. No one wants to see that.

Snickerdog;n8879288 said:
Didn't realize it was that serious, but I can see your point. No one wants to see that.

This is a lot more important for me to enjoy a round of golf than an off kilter Chromesoft. Have you ever seen a large man try to make it around a golf course with 3 belt loops?! It a travesty of immense proportions and deserves the USGA’s attention.

Seriously how has the USGA been blind to this?

5 is absolute minimum but I prefer 7 or 8. The belt shouldn't be squeezing the pants and more loops help provide an evenly distributed look. Just like buttons, I prefer 3 over 1. Seriously saving time is inconsequential. I want good pants that will last years and not sag or deform quickly.

I have a pair of Ben Hogan shorts in 36 that not only have tons of belt loops, but it also has this rubber material on the inside of the belt area which helps the shorts grip to the shirt so that your shirt doesn't slowly untuck over the course of a round.

Best idea ever!

Whiskey

I’ve got a 32-inch waist and I think 6 loops is the minimum for me. Should also have some type of adhesive inner lining to keep your shirt in place. Cause no one wants an untucked shirt or a tourniquet around your waist.

I have an idea

a waistband that is all belt loops, however many it takes

or a waistband that is one giant belt loop

FatChance;n8879282 said:

Emergency disaster recovery plan right here.

Not always the case, but I have seen that, generally, cheaper pants/shorts have fewer belt loops. After all, each belt loop is more material and more labor to put on. There are obvious exceptions as even more expensive lines try to maximize their profits.

The one in the picture is Kirkland brand that I bought at Costco with plenty of loop coverage. The offending pair was Izod. Though I do have some Izod shorts that are not sub-human in their belt loop representation.

I've never really thought about it, but I'd imagine any less than 6 loops is just asking for trouble.

FatChance;n8879282 said:

I'm visualizing suspenders with most modern golf polos. Not a good look.

I can honestly say I've never given it any thought

I know I commented way back when this started, and I also had another thought about it. In the military there are 7 loops, for the 7 seas.

I blame the pants makers for loop jacking pants.

Funny, this came up at the last Gethering in Valdosta. Hadn't noticed until it was pointed out by a former regular poster here. Have you ever noticed how many belt loops Tiger has on his pants? There's like 11. Its gotta be his secret. I won't play golf with less than 8 now.

It could be worse

vintage-sansabelt-slacks-ads-3.jpg

5 is the minimum play!

Agreed with the 5 minimum.

Back