How long are your spikeless shoes lasting and are you ever slipping at all with them

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Ive asked this a few years back as the spike less shoes became more popular. I (at the time) had seen enough (on an occasion here or there) people slipping. I was never a big fan of them for that reason as well as one other. The other was longevity. I simply never quite trusted just how long (or better asked, how much play) do they take before all the sole dimples and shapes get too worn and start causing too much slipping.

I mean I know how often spikes can need to be changed. But they of course simply get changed and your back to like new again as for grip. After that its only then about the shoe top itself. But there are no cleats to change on spike less shoes.

So just how long (how many rounds of usage) are you getting from spike less shoes? And what about any slippage either when new or after some wear? And fwiw I'll ask why do you prefer them vs cleated shoes?

I have had my Ecco spike-less for probably 5+ years? I have had them long enough as to not think about going back to spikes. They used to be my only pair, but I recently purchased a pair of Callaway Balboa’s on sale.

I wish the potential of me slipping here and there was the top of my concerns on the course, but I have so many other issues that it never even occurs to me that it is a potential problem.

I get about 150 walking rounds from the the Adidas Adicross line of shoes. The nubs on the bottom are usually still fine when I retire them because the uppers are worn out. Have also tried some Puma and Nike spikeless shoes in the past but the soles on both brands wore out short of 100 rounds.

I haven’t worn out a set of spikeless shoes yet, at least not the grip. The uppers give before I’ve seen any loss of grip. Depending on conditions I’ve slipped, but not usually while swinging a club, and it has to be soggy enough that spikes won’t even save traction.

dazeedmonds;n8879707 said:
I haven’t worn out a set of spikeless shoes yet, at least not the grip. The uppers give before I’ve seen any loss of grip. Depending on conditions I’ve slipped, but not usually while swinging a club, and it has to be soggy enough that spikes won’t even save traction.

This has been my experience. The weatherproofing or something gives up well before traction.

I’ve never had an issue with slipping, and I don’t exactly swing easy.

Mine last a full season if I use the same pair every round but I rotate them often. Lately I've been wearing my True Original's because my balance is so much better and the only time I slip is when I over swing.

Sox_Fan;n8879679 said:
I get about 150 walking rounds from the the Adidas Adicross line of shoes. The nubs on the bottom are usually still fine when I retire them because the uppers are worn out. Have also tried some Puma and Nike spikeless shoes in the past but the soles on both brands wore out short of 100 rounds.

interesting about the adidas vs the others. I prefer adidas cleats vs other brands. They just fit me better overall and are most comfortable imo. What I used the past 2 seasons.

rollin;n8879830 said:
interesting about the adidas vs the others. I prefer adidas cleats vs other brands. They just fit me better overall and are most comfortable imo. What I used the past 2 seasons.
I agree with all of your statements. The Adiwear sole that is on the Adicross shoes just wears a lot less for me. I always walk and stay in the grass as much as possible. Wear them to and from the course but no other times for "street wear".

I purchased my first spikeless golf shoe this year, Puma Ignite NXT. It’s still the first year, yet my shoes seem to be holding up very well. I also have not noticed any slippage in my go for it swings.

I really like putting on my golf shoes before I leave the house to play. You can wear these shoes virtually anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I start losing traction in the heels of my Ecco bio hybrid shoes after a full season but I also wear them off the course. Every once in a while I spin out due to loss of traction If the ground is wet and I fall back.

The only soft spikes I have ever had an issue with, were True Linkswear

Either "soft spikes" or the nubs on spikeless shoes will wear down somewhat but not enough to make them grip any less. But I'm pretty hard on shoes, between weighing well over 200 pounds, walking every round and often playing in wet grass the entire shoe tends to get worn out after 100-150 rounds or so. If I could get 200 rounds out of pair, maybe nub/spike wear would be a problem.

I slip about as often in shoes with nubs as I do the "soft spikes" kind. Maybe a couple time a year my foot will slip enough to slightly affect a shot. I've never slipped enough to fall down or do any actual harm.

Once I find a pair I like I’ll buy a few pair and rotate. They will last usually a couple of years

Right now it’s the puma Nxt solace that are performing great.

Puma NXT are the most comfortable I’ve owned. I have multiple pairs and expect them to last 2-3 years or so based on rotation

mikeg_74;n8879906 said:
Once I find a pair I like I’ll buy a few pair and rotate. They will last usually a couple of years

Right now it’s the puma Nxt solace that are performing great.

Yea I kind of do similar with my cleated shoes.. Find a pair I like. Buy one primarily white and one primarily black. Wear them based on attire color of the day. Will get 2 full seasons and then use them cassionally during a 3rd for mostly the bad weather sloppy days. Of course I replace cleats on them as needed.

Lots of great feedback here. Though no one has really mentioned why they would prefer cleatless over cleated. Just curious

jdtox;n8879909 said:
Puma NXT are the most comfortable I’ve owned. I have multiple pairs and expect them to last 2-3 years or so based on rotation

they fixed the water/moisture issue this year and they have been outstanding in wet or early morning conditions.

I have both spiked and spikeless shoes. I am on my 2nd year with the spikeless (PUMA) and have close to 100 rounds on them. They are wearing good and even but will get retired after this season. The only time I have slipped in them is in the spring when the zoysia is still dormant and I was on a slope.
I do prefer to wear spikes on course after a rain or if the course is super damp.

I cant say that its ever been an issue for me. I typically get at least 5 years out of a pair of shoes and traction has never been an issue. Honestly, Id say that the grip is better with my spikeless shoes than it was back in the days when I used soft spikes because the soft spikes would all be broken towards the end of the season.

Badger_Golfer;n8880040 said:
I cant say that its ever been an issue for me. I typically get at least 5 years out of a pair of shoes and traction has never been an issue. Honestly, Id say that the grip is better with my spikeless shoes than it was back in the days when I used soft spikes because the soft spikes would all be broken towards the end of the season.

Well, to be fair cleats are made to be replaced on cleated shoes so you can always maintain good grip

rollin;n8880101 said:
Well, to be fair cleats are made to be replaced on cleated shoes so you can always maintain good grip
True. I tended to not replace mine often and they were always a pain to get out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As SoxFan first suggested, it's really not about time, but use. I walk and carry my bag and do so primarily on both mountain and parkland courses. I also practice about 3 times a week, which puts wear on them as well. The spikeless Footjoy MProject shoes I had would last about a year and a half. That translates to about 90-100 rounds carrying clubs and about 225 practice sessions of on average 90 minutes each.

rollin;n8879958 said:
Lots of great feedback here. Though no one has really mentioned why they would prefer cleatless over cleated. Just curious

The "waffle" bottoms on my Ecco Cage Pro don't collect any grass, dirt or mud the way Soft-Spikes do. They also won't tear the green if I happen to move carelessly for a moment.

Ecco-Cage-Pro-Black-1.jpg

And I hate the way Soft-Spikes feel squishy or wiggly
underfoot when walking on hard surfaces.

Attachments

• Ecco-Cage-Pro-Black-1.jpg
    Ecco-Cage-Pro-Black-1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
Back