How long are your spikeless shoes lasting and are you ever slipping at all with them

Et Tu Brute?;n8880137 said:
The "waffle" bottoms on my Ecco Cage Pro don't collect any grass, dirt or mud the way Soft-Spikes do. They also won't tear the green if I happen to move carelessly for a moment.

And I hate the way Soft-Spikes feel squishy or wiggly
underfoot when walking on hard surfaces.

that comment by you leads me to believe these may actually slip. I mean your stating they don't damage the green at all if you move carelessly. That almost seems to indicate they are able to slip some. And I know pics can be deceiving but that sole even looks like something that can slip. Of course Im only just commenting as for what they look like in the pic and what you have mentioned. But that said that sole looks interesting and certainly unique (but in a good way).

Maybe if someone swings way harder than me they might slip. I've got about 60-70 rounds combined on my current two pairs and can't recall my foot slipping.

I mean, if I do the old "plant your foot and do an about face" pivot move they're going to tear up the green. But those "Spider" type soft spikes hang down so far, I can occasionally do a normal foot-lift to take a step and if it's just a fraction too low one prong will tear a 2-3" line in the green. These would require a total drag or pivot move without lifting my foot at all.

Frankly, I've just never experienced the sort of slipping when you swing a club that people complain about with certain kinds of shoes. I can play in regular tennis/basketball/sneaker shoes just fine except for maybe swinging on a sideslope on soaking wet grass. Then again, there's most no "foot action" in my swing. I'm kind of like Faldo with the back foot still nearly planted at impact.

Et Tu Brute?;n8880209 said:
Maybe if someone swings way harder than me they might slip. I've got about 60-70 rounds combined on my current two pairs and can't recall my foot slipping.

I mean, if I do the old "plant your foot and do an about face" pivot move they're going to tear up the green. But those "Spider" type soft spikes hang down so far, I can occasionally do a normal foot-lift to take a step and if it's just a fraction too low one prong will tear a 2-3" line in the green. These would require a total drag or pivot move without lifting my foot at all.

Frankly, I've just never experienced the sort of slipping when you swing a club that people complain about with certain kinds of shoes. I can play in regular tennis/basketball/sneaker shoes just fine except for maybe swinging on a sideslope on soaking wet grass. Then again, there's most no "foot action" in my swing. I'm kind of like Faldo with the back foot still nearly planted at impact.

Oh my yes I have slipped in sneakers before. That rarest occasions through the years I may have forgotten my golf shoes and played with sneakers they have slipped plenty on me. Fwiw I have on very rare occasion even slipped with a cleated shoe but usually only in far less than ideal conditions or via some bad terrible ugly version of a golf swing...lol

I have both Footjoy and Sketchers soft spikes and do not slip. IF you swing under control and mot a violent act, you should be able to play in street shoes...

donny475;n8880330 said:
I have both Footjoy and Sketchers soft spikes and do not slip. IF you swing under control and mot a violent act, you should be able to play in street shoes...

well...not really imo. Many folks do posses a lot of leg into their swing. Also people are of course different weights and heights so the leverage placed on our sole bottoms gripping can be very different. Not even yet to mention dew on the grass as well.

I have 3 pairs of Puma NXT spineless that I luv in dry weather but in early morning dew, forget it. I have now gone back to my soft spiked shoes for those early rounds as I was getting too much slippage on tee box and occasionally on tight fairways.

Puma ignite - no slipping but loose upper.
Puma ignite nxt - some slip even in dry
Puma bio something a few years old - needs to be really dry, still some slips.
Nike Jordan adg - no slipping at all, better than soft spikes I've had.

As has been said, uppers will fail before noticibly change in tread.

True Knits. Love them. Zero slippage issues after ~ 6 mo. I play and practice a lot. I did add a little bit better inside cushioning however. The stock insole is a little hard for me.

Attachments

• photo36068.png
    photo36068.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 1
Obviously, not all spikeless are build the same, but the FJ I have are a solid shoe in dry conditions... if there's moisture I have to dial back my swing to ensure I don't slip.

and so....these past few posts is concern for me. Im simply not seeing any extra benefit of cleat-less shoes other than some of them can be worn outside the course.
But I don't see that as a big deal. My golf shoes are to be about the golf , not going to the disco afterwards. Is it the non changing of the cleats that you see as a benefit? Im just really trying to get a feel as I am to need new shoes and am in the market as to why I would or should give the spikeless a try this time around. I do prefer to buy a better more expensive pair that is waterproof and will last. So its not like I can just spend decent money just tp try something. maybe I better stick to the cleated shoes . I mean.....Why fix what isn't broken? IDK unless anyone has real good reasons spikeless are better choice.

rollin;n8881459 said:
and so....these past few posts is concern for me. Im simply not seeing any extra benefit of cleat-less shoes other than some of them can be worn outside the course.
But I don't see that as a big deal. My golf shoes are to be about the golf , not going to the disco afterwards. Is it the non changing of the cleats that you see as a benefit? Im just really trying to get a feel as I am to need new shoes and am in the market as to why I would or should give the spikeless a try this time around. I do prefer to buy a better more expensive pair that is waterproof and will last. So its not like I can just spend decent money just tp try something. maybe I better stick to the cleated shoes . I mean.....Why fix what isn't broken? IDK unless anyone has real good reasons spikeless are better choice.

Well, it's not the biggest deal but I do enjoy just putting on my Ecco "waffle sole" golf shoes when I get dressed at home, wearing them to the golf course, playing golf and then wearing them home afterwards. Including if I have to stop and do some errands on the way home. They are perfectly functional on most surfaces and for most purposes. They're also (being Eccos) just about as comfortable as my usual street shoes.

Now all that doesn't work if it's a muddy day at the course! But under normal conditions I don't have to mess with carrying separate golf shoes and street shoes. Which is nice.

rollin;n8881459 said:

I don’t think one is better than the other. Just different options. I walk a lot of round and soft spikes are less comfortable to walk in for me. There’s no reason you have to buy spikeless, they’re just another option.

I’ve had as many slips in cleated shoes as I have in cleatless. In fact, I’ve had spike less shoes that I felt held better than some soft spiked shoes - which makes sense, as there’s more they can do in terms of design - all you can really do with a spiked shoe is choose the pattern on the bottom.

I played in the pouring rain in the Go Golf Elites out in CA at the granddaddy and had absolutely zero issues. And being in the desert, that area doesn’t exactly have drainage.

I’ve got a pair of Skechers and 2 pair of Nikes. I’ve not slipped in any of them and they are way more comfortable than my Adidas with soft spikes

had nike, and FJ last one season each walking just over 100 rounds each. My adidas climacool lasted me last year, and this year so far with over 170 rounds walked, and should last the season. I never slip in them as I switch to my FJ's spiked when its wet outside.

I think it comes down to make/model. My first pair were Ashworth Cardiffs that were terrible and caused me to write off spikeless for some time. I eventually tried others and haven't had an issue since.

I don't slip using spikeless and I weigh 250 pounds and swing my driver 120+. I'm currently rotating between FJ Pro SL and 2 pair of Inesis Waterproof Grip.

I bought a pair of Ecco Biom Hybrids about 3 years ago, and the knobbies on the sole are still in great shape. These things last forever. I recently bought a pair of FJ Pro SL spikeless to replace the Eccos (due to the Yak leather being discolored from getting them wet) and they're pretty comfortable. But in the short time I've been using them (3 months,) I've had more slips than I had in the past 3 years with the Eccos.

-CRW-;n8881653 said:
I think it comes down to make/model. My first pair were Ashworth Cardiffs that were terrible and caused me to write off spikeless for some time. I eventually tried others and haven't had an issue since.

I don't slip using spikeless and I weigh 250 pounds and swing my driver 120+. I'm currently rotating between FJ Pro SL and 2 pair of Inesis Waterproof Grip.

I think the trick is to get a spikeless shoe that's really made for golf and not a shoe that could be used for golf in a pinch. I still find them more comfortable to walk in than a spiked shoe, and they don't slip like some of the others.

wow, quite the mix of experiences here. Some slipping badly, some only rarely and others never slipping. I dont think I'll be spending good bucks for a pot luck try. A comfy pair of well made cleated shoe I think is where I'll stay. I mean why fix what aint broken, right? or maybe not....lol

Thanks for all the shared experiences thus far. But keep them coming. Always good to get more feedback.

I've worn my New Balance Minimus quite a bit over the last year and they have held up really well. I've never had one slip that I can think of and that's with playing in some pretty wet conditions.

I have FJ Pro SL and I have 50 walking rounds on them. I have never slipped and the spikes are still good. It is just the inside has worn out. So I replaced them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one of my buddies slipped off an elevated green due to old worn spikeless shoes, broke his ankle. He bought two new pairs once he could play again. I threw out two old pairs after that incident, got two pairs at an ECCO outlet near Ft. Myers, FL during a trip. I swap between 4 pairs of spikeless shoes to keep them from wearing, but I'll replace a pair now if the nubs start to wear on the heels. I prefer spikeless, so I don't have to swap shoes. I don't really notice soft spikes giving me any better traction.

I use a pair of BOOMBAH spikeless shoes, very comfortable and never have any slipping issues.

Boombah is a softball apparel and equipment company for those that may not know. The only brand of shoes I wear for softball, very comfortable.

1029190805.jpg

I only have one pair, but I’ve really never slipped unless the ground was crazy wet. Any normal condition has been absolutely fine and they haven’t worn down at all either.

Back