Look good, feel good, play good

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Most people know the adage "look good play good". So, in terms of golf, how much does "looking good" affect how much you then "play good"?

If none, does it still affect your overall enjoyment of a round? I know for me, if I feel like I look good, there is definitely a boost of confidence going on.

great topic. I actually buy clothing based on how they will match when playing golf. I like bold colors when playing. Be Bold!!

There are certain shirts I wear because I feel I play better when wearing them. I have thrown 2 away because of playing like crap in them.

I always look good when I play. I dress better for a round of golf than I do for work or most occasions haha. That being said it simply doesn't always equates to a good round

More comfort to me than anything else. I am not one to coordinate an outfit by any means. I mean, I make sure I am wearing decent clothes. But, I don't feel like my confidence is affected in any way should my shoes not match my hat or belt or anything.

I've never felt underdressed, or didn't feel like I looked good, on the course. I know that as long as I am adhering to the dress code at most all courses, I'm going to look good. That doesn't mean I have to pop with color or have the best scripting, but I won't wear shorts or a shirt that doesn't feel and look good to me.

I have to coordinate my golf attire. It carries over from my professional life i guess. I dont like to look "sloppy" or like i pulled the cleanest pair of shorts and shirt out of my hamper.

Mentally i'm not sure it affects me one way or the other, but if i didn't put thought into what I wear and how it matches i would definitely be thinking "i hope i dont look like a jackass today"

radiman;n8883227 said:
More comfort to me than anything else. I am not one to coordinate an outfit by any means. I mean, I make sure I am wearing decent clothes. But, I don't feel like my confidence is affected in any way should my shoes not match my hat or belt or anything.

I agree, it’s much more feel good than look good.

Gotta look good to feel good and you gotta feel good to play well.

I’ve bought golf shirts that I love off the course, but for whatever reason (sleeves, whether it wicks well or what not) that shirts will never see the course after the initial use. Same with caps. No snapbacks, flat bills or trucker hats. Any of those, or other things that might bother me, and I don’t feel like I’m ready to play.

i'm not sure i play that much better when i look better, but i definitely feel better when i dress well. i feel it is disrespectful to the game to show up to the course dressed like a slob. that's my old fuddy duddy take on it.

Looks don’t effect my play. But, I do love to look good. I spend more time matching golf outfits then I do work outfits lol.

There's some truth to this with me. I think it depends on the situation. If I'm playing in an event or in league I definitely want to look good and it helps my confidence immensely. AS far as just golfing on my own - I'm much more comfortable in a t-shirt if my course allows it.

Being well dressed makes you feel good. I know it definitely does not help me on the course lol but i am not going to show up in a t-shirt to play. I also like the bold colors out of the course.

It does not affect my play, but it definitely affects my attitude if I play poorly! 'At least I/you look good!' is a common phrase around my group. lol

I like to look put together when I play golf, but don't think it affects how I perform on the course. Used to be flashy and figured if I can't play good I might as well look good, but now my style has chilled down a bit, and I am not as focused on the attire part, just making sure it all flows well together.

I’m a proponent of this. Not sure if it has any tangible effect, but hell yes, I like to At least look like I know what I’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree, I want to look like I can golf regardless of how well I actually can golf!!!

I don't think I play good, even if I look like Koepka out there..... However, I could also never see myself in anything other than the latests and greatest apparel. I think looking the part of a good golfer just allows me to blend in more. Don't want to be a hack in a pair of Jorts getting all the attention

I like to dress like I know what I am doing, because once I swing a club everyone knows the truth. I think it does help in some ways, golf is so mental, if how you are dressed gives you confidence it is going to help your frame of mind, which could help your golf.

I wear golf clothes to work. I try to look good. I live the adage "Dress like you shoot in the 70's, talk like you shoot in the 80's, play like you shoot in the 90's"

Back