2018 UST Mamiya PROFORCE V2

I just picked one of these up in 6X excited to try this out loved the Proforce back in the day. Going to be fun to play around with this one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are on Instagram, you will see we just posted a photo of this shaft.
Follow the instructions and you might just win one.

Still debating what I'll be putting the two coming in, into.

Knee jerk is driver, but the V2 has a long history as a badass fairway shaft as well.

Options options options...

Can’t wait to put mine, when it arrives , in my M2 3 wood!

Welp, round 1 is in the books. Before I dive into the results from today's round let me give a short story about my tee game. It's undoubtedly been the weakest area in my game for quite awhile, I tend to have a 2 way miss so feel like half the time I'm just chasing a fix or finding a swing thought mid-round and having it carry me for the day. With that 2 way miss I find myself trying to steer the shot which can get really frustrating really fast. It's also one of the reasons why I've recently added a 2i to the bag as I know I can hit more greens when I hit more fairways even if it's from 20-30 yards further out. Over the last few months I've found a little something that helps my driver game and that's playing the tee shot like I'm hitting into the wind which for me means gripping down (on a driver already playing short at 43.75"), playing it at around the 75% mark in the stance (100% for me would be off left toe), and then a shortened swing as if trying to flight it down.

Prior to teeing off I was taking some practice swings (after posting that picture showing how good the 6F4 looks in the F8 Nardo Grey head) and the thing that came to mind was stable. Not heavy, not whippy, just stable. I think part of what caused that feeling was dropping 10g in the driver shaft weight which may have helped to be able to feel the head better in the swing.

On the day I ended up being 7/11 FW's hit with this in hand. My miss was a push, but a push that was still able to be found and playable. I was able to avoid the left side of the course which is a very good sign for me and what I think may happen as I continue to get acclimated to this setup. This shaft is touted as a medium ball flight, I have no issues getting most shafts in the air so for me I would say ball flight was a mix of medium with a few trending to high. I did play with tee height position and was able to easily discern that it had an impact on ball flight for me with a higher tee height producing the highest flight I saw throughout the day.

Another characteristic of the shaft is increased ball speed. Now I don't have a GCQuad at my disposal to confirm that but I can say that on 2 swings today I absolutely loaded the shaft and found the center of the club face. One of my regular playing partners puts a very strong move on his drives and will consistently be out there 260-285. He hit a good one on the 4th hole and I was quite surprised to see my well struck shot about 20-25 yards behind his. We normally have a no BS variance of 40-60 yards...it's ridiculous in all honesty. With all that said on a few swings I definitely had more on it than I usually do which is a fun aspect to look forward to as I grow accustomed to this setup. I'm probably the furthest from a feel player that there is so I have to rely on results to dictate what is or isn't working for me.

Let me know what questions I can answer and will do my best. I'm playing the F8 at 9* with the heavier weight on draw so there really isn't anything I can do to lower the flight further (not that I need to). I do think it would be good for me to play with loft a bit just to see how much of a difference it makes and if I can find that sweet spot of nice carry while still seeing some roll. They had watered the course the last 2 nights so that definitely impacted some of the drives from a roll out perspective. Think I will try and head to the range on Wednesday. The range nearest me has the TOPTRACER ball tracking system which I haven't used before so it would be cool to grab some numbers from that as opposed to just what I see on the course.

On the day I ended up being 7/11 FW's hit with this in hand.
That's a good average for you Cookie.

On a good swing to good swing comparison, did you notice an increase in distance over the stock Cobra shaft?

That initial report is very encouraging, Cookie. I'm anxious to get the adaptor and get this to the range.

Nice review. 7/11 sounds like it is a good outing for you. I am excited to try mine withb the HL shaft and see what happens. I have already determined I am buying a Rogue this year and want to see if I can go to a 9* head and still get it up in the air enough. I am pretty sure I can because I tend to have fairly high ball flight with the 10.5*. Unfortunately it is ice and rain falling out now so will probably be at least Tuesday before I make it to the range.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's a good average for you Cookie.

On a good swing to good swing comparison, did you notice an increase in distance over the stock Cobra shaft?

Well when I ordered the F8 I went with HZRDUS black and that lasted all of one round, terrible fit for me. With that said, I've been gaming the UST Gold Proto for awhile now (from the F6+ to F7+ to F8). I would say FIR are similar on good ball striking days but definitely see a higher launch in the V2 as compared to the Proto. Really want to hit both on monitor and get a good idea of launch/spin/distance without me trying to decipher those on course.

Nice initial review Cookie. Looking forward to getting mine on the course.

Nice review Cookie. Should be able to get mine out for some swings tomorrow. The shaft looks really sharp with the blue head.

Let’s get this party started right:

88d0b8a671b8d09061cd5601d0c633ed.jpg

Picked up an 85f4 to try in my f7 3 hybrid. Per the website, recommended tipping is 1" for 3 hybrid. Any reason not to go with the recommendation? I'm sure Danny will be in here pretty quickly to confirm.

The texture on the shaft is awesome whether it provides any performance benefits or not.
f77216d5a29eb09582725e200ea1102c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Also, curious to see price and specs on this.
72ebbdb980b7fe550f8dce83dfc085f3.jpg

Picked up an 85f4 to try in my f7 3 hybrid. Per the website, recommended tipping is 1" for 3 hybrid. Any reason not to go with the recommendation? I'm sure Danny will be in here pretty quickly to confirm.

The texture on the shaft is awesome whether it provides any performance benefits or not. [/IMG]

Nope, no reason not to go with recommendation on their site.

The texture on the shaft is awesome whether it provides any performance benefits or not.
f77216d5a29eb09582725e200ea1102c.jpg

Trust it, That's what the tipping recommendations are for.

Everything is put together and will be hitting the course in about 2 hours. The swing weight of the JPX 900 with this shaft came out to a D6. Was kind of surprised that it jumped 2 points in comparison to the same length with the Fujikura shaft. Did some research and it appears the reason is that the Fujikura is counter balanced and the V2 is not. Actually total weight of the club should be pretty much dead on with what I have been playing though.

Cookie was long with it yesterday, and it was only his first round with the shaft. And it's the other younger speedy guy with 115 ss that has the strong move. My move is more Usain Bolt with 2 pulled hamstrings and a torn Achilles.

I'm loving at 6F5 on paper but would have liked to see a bit higher torque #.

Yes, tip 1" for your 3 hybrid.

Danny
Quick question for you Danny. I'm wondering about that tiny bit of texture on the shaft. Is there a performance reason for it?

First time out with the V2 Proforce 6F4 today. First impression was that there is not flippin' way that a shaft with that feel, performance and look can be purchased for under $60.

A few observations after my first round with the shaft in my Mizuno JPX 900 9.5* head:

The previous shaft I used in this head for comparison sake was a Fujikura Speed Evolution II 569 stiff flex. Like the V2, shaft is rated as mid launch. The torque is a little higher at 3.5 vs. 3.0 for V2.

Launch - I had absolutely no issue launching this shaft. Initially, based of what I remembered the old V2 to be, I thought I would need either the HL version or a regular flex in non-HL to get the ball adequately airborn. After the initial launch to peak height, the ball appeared to flatten out in the air and just go. Saw higher launch than I saw with the Fuji.

Dispersion - My typical miss is left. Out of the approximately 25 times I hit driver today, I only hit 2 exaggerated hooks and those were from swing flaws caused by trying to really kill the ball. A nice, smooth swing produced either a slight draw or slight fade along with the towering ball flight from the nice launch. For those of your that have played with me or read many of my posts, a slight fade is something I have always struggled mightily with producing even when setting up for it. Not having to worry about too much dispersion on a smooth swing is a welcome addition to my game.

Distance - We had a lot of rain yesterday so the ground was still quite soggy in most areas which basically negated any roll out. Based on where I was carrying the ball, I would venture to say that I picked up about 5 yards of carry on average over the Fuji. Hit 2 drives into a decent breeze (approx. 10mph) and was surprised the ball still carried as far as it did.

Feel - The shaft felt very smooth to me and the ball looked and felt faster coming off the clubface than I recall with my previous setup.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I set this up to play at the same length (45") as it played with the Fuji. Same grip on both shafts. The weight difference is minimal as the Fuji is stock 59 grams and the V2 is stock 66 grams. The swing weight with the V2 is D6 and with the Fuji is D4. The Fuji being counter balanced and a little lighter probably accounts for the 2 point swing weight increase.

First time out with the V2 Proforce 6F4 today. First impression was that there is not flippin' way that a shaft with that feel, performance and look can be purchased for under $60.

A few observations after my first round with the shaft in my Mizuno JPX 900 9.5* head:

The previous shaft I used in this head for comparison sake was a Fujikura Speed Evolution II 569 stiff flex. Like the V2, shaft is rated as mid launch. The torque is a little higher at 3.5 vs. 3.0 for V2.

Launch - I had absolutely no issue launching this shaft. Initially, based of what I remembered the old V2 to be, I thought I would need either the HL version or a regular flex in non-HL to get the ball adequately airborn. After the initial launch to peak height, the ball appeared to flatten out in the air and just go. Saw higher launch than I saw with the Fuji.

Dispersion - My typical miss is left. Out of the approximately 25 times I hit driver today, I only hit 2 exaggerated hooks and those were from swing flaws caused by trying to really kill the ball. A nice, smooth swing produced either a slight draw or slight fade along with the towering ball flight from the nice launch. For those of your that have played with me or read many of my posts, a slight fade is something I have always struggled mightily with producing even when setting up for it. Not having to worry about too much dispersion on a smooth swing is a welcome addition to my game.

Distance - We had a lot of rain yesterday so the ground was still quite soggy in most areas which basically negated any roll out. Based on where I was carrying the ball, I would venture to say that I picked up about 5 yards of carry on average over the Fuji. Hit 2 drives into a decent breeze (approx. 10mph) and was surprised the ball still carried as far as it did.

Feel - The shaft felt very smooth to me and the ball looked and felt faster coming off the clubface than I recall with my previous setup.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I set this up to play at the same length (45") as it played with the Fuji. Same grip on both shafts. The weight difference is minimal as the Fuji is stock 59 grams and the V2 is stock 66 grams. The swing weight with the V2 is D6 and with the Fuji is D4. The Fuji being counter balanced and a little lighter probably accounts for the 2 point swing weight increase.
Great write up. Can't wait to rip on this thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This, this is a damn good write up.

Pic of my setup

P1020887_zpsjwycv0hp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back