Project X HZRDUS Smoke Shaft

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For those that followed along in the Live Update thread from the HandCrafted Experience you saw and heard about this new shaft coming soon from Project X. THPers were some of the first out there to put it to the test and in play for the last several weeks.

Looking forward to reading about the performance. Graphics are very nice.

Looking forward to reading about the performance. Graphics are very nice.

Best way to describe it we were told, is a more playable Hzrdus Black. They found that the 5.5 and 6.0 flex of that shaft were a bit too stiff for the majority of people buying it. Which checks out, that shaft is pretty stout. This should be a more friendly option for people.

I'm very interested in following this thread. I feel like my #THCE shaft which was based off the HZRDUS (yellow or red, I forget) was modified to be similar to what the HZRDUS Smoke seems to be based on following the thread. Definitely interested in hearing the fellas thoughts in here.

So confused by the concept of flex etc. The only thing I know to go by is "graphite shaft, women's flex."

Is there a HZRDOUS shaft in a women's flex? I'd love to try the new Smoke, but I admit to being baffled by the flexes (why I'm really hoping to win the extra contest from THCE, as I'd love to talk to The Man, The Myth, The Legend about it).

So confused by the concept of flex etc. The only thing I know to go by is "graphite shaft, women's flex."

Is there a HZRDOUS shaft in a women's flex? I'd love to try the new Smoke, but I admit to being baffled by the flexes (why I'm really hoping to win the extra contest from THCE, as I'd love to talk to The Man, The Myth, The Legend about it).

I believe anything in that 4.0 to 5.0 range would be something you'd be looking for, depending on what fit.

closest thing with the HZRDUS name would be the T800 in 5.0/Lite flex

Best way to describe it we were told, is a more playable Hzrdus Black. They found that the 5.5 and 6.0 flex of that shaft were a bit too stiff for the majority of people buying it. Which checks out, that shaft is pretty stout. This should be a more friendly option for people.

Another big change between the Smoke and the HZRDUS is the swingweighting. The HZRDUS black swingweighted really heavy, and this is something the Smoke addresses. I don't remember how many points exactly, but I want to say 3-ish (but don't quote me on that one). I haven't taken many swings with the HZRDUS black, but the fact that I had ZERO inclination that it was the successor to that club tells me they were successful in improving the feel for the average golfer. I was not a fan of the HZRDUS black.

It's a more playable shaft for sure, but definitely still in the low/low-mid category. My first few times out I had the impression that the ball wanted to go up, but I think that was due to a bit of compensation/flip. As I got out on course more the ball started coming down, and I was seeing a flight that's a bit lower than what I'm used to.

Another big change between the Smoke and the HZRDUS is the swingweighting. The HZRDUS black swingweighted really heavy, and this is something the Smoke addresses. I don't remember how many points exactly, but I want to say 3-ish (but don't quote me on that one). I haven't taken many swings with the HZRDUS black, but the fact that I had ZERO inclination that it was the successor to that club tells me they were successful in improving the feel for the average golfer. I was not a fan of the HZRDUS black.

It's a more playable shaft for sure, but definitely still in the low/low-mid category. My first few times out I had the impression that the ball wanted to go up, but I think that was due to a bit of compensation/flip. As I got out on course more the ball started coming down, and I was seeing a flight that's a bit lower than what I'm used to.

The HZRDUS black was like rebar and I couldn’t elevate, I would be interested in this one - at least trying it

The HZRDUS black was like rebar and I couldn’t elevate, I would be interested in this one - at least trying it

I'll bring it next time we play. My gut tells me that you'll have the same issues when it comes to flight, but the feel is definitely better. This is one of those shafts I would actually be interested in trying in 5.5. It was a bit much for me at 6.0, I think.

I'll bring it next time we play. My gut tells me that you'll have the same issues when it comes to flight, but the feel is definitely better. This is one of those shafts I would actually be interested in trying in 5.5. It was a bit much for me at 6.0, I think.

I got along better with Yellow, and red was probably the best but with all three need more height - if this one isn’t as stiff might be better launch to your point

I didn't have trouble elevating it, but there's not much I have trouble elevating with my AoA

I got along better with Yellow, and red was probably the best but with all three need more height - if this one isn’t as stiff might be better launch to your point

My custom is basically a "Smoke Red" with a bit of torque added. Added a bit of flex in the tip, and it made a world of difference. The biggest difference to smoke and the original HZRDUS for me was the feel. I didn't feel at any point like I was swinging a board.

I had the Yellow and this launches higher. That, coupled with the Smoke being tailored to 5.5 - 6.0 swingers this shaft has made a significant difference for me.

My custom is basically a "Smoke Red" with a bit of torque added. Added a bit of flex in the tip, and it made a world of difference. The biggest difference to smoke and the original HZRDUS for me was the feel. I didn't feel at any point like I was swinging a board.

Looking forward to hitting yours, we should get out soon

Hzrdus Smoke shaft is great. Never a fan of the black profile, the smoke allows the 5.5 & 6.0 golfers to take advantage of the hzrdus line design but in a more favorable profile to smoother tempo golfers. My SS with driver is closer to 99 mph and the ball flight and consistency is very playable on off center hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hzrdus Smoke shaft is great. Never a fan of the black profile, the smoke allows the 5.5 & 6.0 golfers to take advantage of the hzrdus line design but in a more favorable profile to smoother tempo golfers. My SS with driver is closer to 99 mph and the ball flight and consistency is very playable on off center hits.

I think one of the biggest testaments to that is that for the three guys who built their shaft off the smoke profile (you, me, Tee/Ski), I wouldn't really consider any of us a candidate for the HZRDUS Black based on some of my swings with that shaft.

6.0 interests me greatly

This is an intriguing offering for sure!

I know I’ll likely own one eventually - I liked the black but I could use some assistance with it so this has my attention.

If I understood correctly the Smoke is like the Black just less harsh, right?

Yes, same low/low design, but swingweighted a bit lower (the black comes out D5+ in a lot of builds), and a little smoother, especially in the 5.5 and 6.0 flexes. It's the next generation HZRDUS.

Project X HZRDUS Smoke Shaft

Black profile is tip heavy
Yellow profile is butt heavy
Smoke is neutral weighting

For slower SS yes the smoke will feel a lot better than black.

Last edited:
Back