Project X Catalyst Graphite Iron Shafts

MWard;n8879497 said:
If we ever play together, you can try my irons with 100g in there for comparison purposes. Might be somethin to keep note of come December

Yeah that rebar don’t bend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alez367;n8879498 said:
Yeah that rebar don’t bend

100g in a wedge though could be nice. I can make it bend :)

MWard;n8879497 said:
If we ever play together, you can try my irons with 100g in there for comparison purposes. Might be somethin to keep note of come December

i tried the 100 in a set that jim54 had (rogue pro, maybe) and they were too stout for me. couldn’t load them or turn the ball over. so if that’s how you’re trying to get me to agree to play with you, pass. haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wanna find a good price on these. They are definitely on the hard ponder list

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

McLovin;n8879543 said:
i tried the 100 in a set that jim54 had (rogue pro, maybe) and they were too stout for me. couldn’t load them or turn the ball over. so if that’s how you’re trying to get me to agree to play with you, pass. haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do kinda load the club pretty hard since I learned how to do it. I mean you're still welcome to give it a try just to rule them out or not. Kinda helps when you are all like AAHHHHH when you swing, I hear it does help a bit.

Waiting for Monday to see if I’m going all in on a 80 6.0g set of shafts for the back up irons.

two of these are on order. i wanted a black finish and an ion finish, but i guess the black 80 only comes in 6.0 and i'm dropping down to 5.5. so two ion 80 5.5 are on order to go in my wedges.

McLovin;n8881645 said:
two of these are on order. i wanted a black finish and an ion finish, but i guess the black 80 only comes in 6.0 and i'm dropping down to 5.5. so two ion 80 5.5 are on order to go in my wedges.

can't wait to see how that goes for you.

ddec;n8881652 said:
can't wait to see how that goes for you.

in the short time with my instructor, the chipping/pitching motion is already light years better. but i can feel what he's saying with the weight. hopefully this lighter setup will help me be more rhythmic, and i won't feel like i need to add speed with my arms/hands.

McLovin;n8881645 said:

Black finish only comes in parallel tip while taper only comes in ion

Alez367;n8879669 said:
Waiting for Monday to see if I’m going all in on a 80 6.0g set of shafts for the back up irons.

What did you decide?

My 4i is a monster with this shaft in it.

30938b4c0ad5f9aab0f814483c900ecc.jpg

email has been sent. Going 80g for irons and wedges while i rehab then back to steel once I'm 100% again.

Alez367;n8881835 said:
email has been sent. Going 80g for irons and wedges while i rehab then back to steel once I'm 100% again.

Who did you email for the shafts?

Any more feedback on the 100's?

Wonder if these will make an appearance at the True Temper event in late October....asking for a friend

Wonder if these will make an appearance at the True Temper event in late October....asking for a friend

It was there last year, so I’d guess you will be in luck.

Any more feedback on the 100's?

One of the best, if not best graphite shaft offering available (I’m biased but ignore that part). While only 100g they’re firm throughout the swing yet offer feedback without the vibration

Im surprised you are as interested as you said Recoil Proto 95s did not fit at all. These weigh similarly and frequency slightly less than the Protos.
Solid shafts for sure, but that would be an interesting fit, right?

I had issues with the Irons as a set, Then heard that the lofts and lies were way off in both directions. Could have ben an issue....I have KBS C-tapers and C-taper lites in my iron sets. Still interested in Graphite. you prob know more about their line that I, What do you think would be closer.....

Im surprised you are as interested as you said Recoil Proto 95s did not fit at all. These weigh similarly and frequency slightly less than the Protos.
Solid shafts for sure, but that would be an interesting fit, right?

Before my C-tapers everything i had was Rifle 6.0's. possibly something in the PX Graphite line would be a better fit. Not sure, But i am planing on going to the PGASS to try some things before the event. You have seen me play, I would appreciate your opinion for sure.

i've had some time with the 80 catalysts in my wedges. i have 80 6.0, soft stepped once in a 56 and a 60. both with mcc+4, i think swing weight is around d1-d2 iirc.

i went with these per my instructor's recommendation. he saw the club wavering all over the place when i was struggling with pitching, so he suggested going light. full transparency, he wanted me to go 65 gram (the previous shafts were 120g iirc), but i couldn't wrap my head around that so went 80 and soft-step for flex.

around the greens, i'm still getting used to them. now, let's be clear: i'm still getting used to a solid technique; it's not the shafts that are taking getting used to. my technique needed an overhaul. but i absolutely find this much easier with the reduced weight. if i have anything negative or even noteworthy to say, it's that mishits are much harder to tell at this point. the graphite does such an amazing job absorbing the feedback, that i think i flushed it only to look down and see some pretty poor contact. i know over time i'll tune that in, but for now it's noteworthy.

full swings have been more of a learning curve. the 56 is really solid right now. flight is insanely high (by my standards), which isn't bad just not a window i'm used to seeing. spin is fine, no more or less than the steel. i seem to have a bad case of the lefts with the 60, and a minor case of the lefts with the 56. i may need to slow the swing down, i could just be overswinging. as of right now, my eye test is saying i'm losing some distance. sw is about 10 yards down, lw about the same maybe more. that's gonna wreak havoc on gapping if it continues, because i'm seeing about a 30y gap between aw and sw. that's REALLY tough to manage.

I have 80g 6.0 in my apex Ut and love it. No bullets on solid only a flight that climbs but doesn’t balloon. On softer greens I’m actually seeing little roll out compared to the rollout I was seeing with my 4i and 100g 6.0

i have a few rounds under my belt with the catalyst 80 in my 56 and 60. i did it to reduce weight for short game shots.

the short game is still a work in progress, without as much progress as i’d like. can i tell much difference from the heavier shaft i had? maybe, but i wouldn’t say it’s been anything dramatic.

full swings have been interesting. on one hand, i am in love with the feel. just so soft yet powerful when struck well, or even sorta well with the vibration dampening. flight has been very high, and kind of stalling in the air. i’m seeing a definite loss in distance. but a different setup, 54/58 would probably gap perfectly. the 60 has a definite left bias, which is so odd. but the 56 is a real workhouse.

in summary, i do really like the setup. feel is tremendous. i like the high flight, but need it to flatten out and go a little farther, or consider a different loft. the shafts are great and i would absolutely like to try them in my irons, also a hybrid shafted with catalyst sounds mighty fine.

It’s here! It’s here! My F9 driving iron with the catalyst 80 is finally here! Shout out to Will at The Peoples Clubs for an awesome build. I can’t wait to hit it

Anyone else excited that this is the stock graphite option in the new Cobra Forged Tec irons?

Back