UST Mamiya LIN-Q Shaft

Course is open so I am out. 7th round with the LIN-Q Gunmetal today. Thought coming later. Sneak peek: I’m 2/2 fairways so far.
View attachment 8932355
What shaft did you play before and are there any other shafts that the Lin-q is similar too in your opinion?

I've been in UST-Mamiya website more times than I can count since the event. ShaftFit tells me I should be in the Attas but the Lin-Q Purple is the one I'm drooling over.

I've been in UST-Mamiya website more times than I can count since the event. ShaftFit tells me I should be in the Attas but the Lin-Q Purple is the one I'm drooling over.
I'm not sure the LINQ shafts are built into the shaft recommender at this point. I tried all kinds of different combinations to get LINQ as a suggested shaft and it never worked.

I'm not sure the LINQ shafts are built into the shaft recommender at this point. I tried all kinds of different combinations to get LINQ as a suggested shaft and it never worked.
Ah, makes sense. Thank you.

What shaft did you play before and are there any other shafts that the Lin-q is similar too in your opinion?
I played the EvenFlow Blue before switching to this shaft. I think that is a good comparison, but I also think that the LIN-Q Gunmetal feels more stable through the tip. Feel wise, it reminded me a lot of the Amos Blue that came with my F9, except the LIN-Q doesn't feel as boardy and still maintains that feelings of being able to load the shaft, something I had a very hard time doing with the Atmos. For comparison, my SS is somewhere around 100 and ball speed is around 150. I'm not a monster swinger.

I played the EvenFlow Blue before switching to this shaft. I think that is a good comparison, but I also think that the LIN-Q Gunmetal feels more stable through the tip. Feel wise, it reminded me a lot of the Amos Blue that came with my F9, except the LIN-Q doesn't feel as boardy and still maintains that feelings of being able to load the shaft, something I had a very hard time doing with the Atmos. For comparison, my SS is somewhere around 100 and ball speed is around 150. I'm not a monster swinger.

I'll throw my comparison in as well. I originally had the Evenflow Black 65g stiff shaft and it was to whippy for me. Was a decent match for my swing speed as I was getting high 150's ball speed and felt good to hit but it wasn't a good match for my swing profile per se. I couldn't consistently get hte face back to closed and I found myself slowing my swing speed down to try to find the sweet spot. I then upgraded to the Oban Isawa Red 65g stiff shaft and it was much much better. Ball speed jumped a couple mph on average and it was a much lower torque shaft. I was able to get the face back to square much more consitently. I would still be playing that shaft if not for the LINQ Purple. The Oban has a more boardy feel than the LINQ. Even though the LINQ I am using is heavier and stiffer, I can feel it load and unload better than the Oban. It's a hard sensation to put into words but I can swing completely free to swing as fast as I can and still have control. With the Oban, while I could get great results and it was significantly better at face closure than the Evenflow, never felt completly in rhythm with it.

I equate it to being a dancer. If 2 dancers pair up that are both good, you can get some damn good performances but the chemistry may not be there. Get 2 dancers who are aligned in temp and style and the chemistry is there, then it becomes great. The Oban was a really good dance partner, but the LINQ just gets me. :) Corny I know.....

I'll throw my comparison in as well. I originally had the Evenflow Black 65g stiff shaft and it was to whippy for me. Was a decent match for my swing speed as I was getting high 150's ball speed and felt good to hit but it wasn't a good match for my swing profile per se. I couldn't consistently get hte face back to closed and I found myself slowing my swing speed down to try to find the sweet spot. I then upgraded to the Oban Isawa Red 65g stiff shaft and it was much much better. Ball speed jumped a couple mph on average and it was a much lower torque shaft. I was able to get the face back to square much more consitently. I would still be playing that shaft if not for the LINQ Purple. The Oban has a more boardy feel than the LINQ. Even though the LINQ I am using is heavier and stiffer, I can feel it load and unload better than the Oban. It's a hard sensation to put into words but I can swing completely free to swing as fast as I can and still have control. With the Oban, while I could get great results and it was significantly better at face closure than the Evenflow, never felt completly in rhythm with it.

I equate it to being a dancer. If 2 dancers pair up that are both good, you can get some damn good performances but the chemistry may not be there. Get 2 dancers who are aligned in temp and style and the chemistry is there, then it becomes great. The Oban was a really good dance partner, but the LINQ just gets me. :) Corny I know.....
REALLY corny...

...I couldn't consistently get hte face back to closed and I found myself slowing my swing speed down to try to find the sweet spot. Even though the LINQ I am using is heavier and stiffer, I can feel it load and unload better than the Oban. ...It's a hard sensation to put into words but I can swing completely free to swing as fast as I can and still have control.

These statements from your quote are a great description of what I am feeling. I had a hard time getting the face back to square with my old shaft, and the LIN-Q has really helped in that regard. I feel like I can be aggressive to and trough impact and not worry about fanning a ball right.

Oh my...

I posted that I was playing yesterday, which was my 7th round with the LIN-Q Gunmetal 7F4 and the Cobra KING SpeedZone. I mentioned it before, but I am playing the tour length setup with 14/6 weights, heavier tot he front.

So far, dispersion has been much tighter and I am keeping the ball in play. Since I have been using this setup, I have developed a baby fade which has been super predictable and playable. In my round yesterday, I hit 10/12 fairways when I had the driver in my hand (I played a 3W on a short par 4 with water at 210), including 6/6 on the back 9. Distance has been huge, especially for me with a good but not great swing and ball speed. I thought that the LIN-Q Gunmetal was going to be way too much shaft for me going into the fitting, but it turns out it is just the right amount stiff and stability.

Like @Tevenor, I found that when I was too aggressive on a swing I would have club face fly open, causing a slice. With the LIN-Q, I have been much more consistent with the face being square at impact. I still come over the top a bit, which is why I have this baby fade going on, but the most important part is that I am seeing consistent results when I put a good swing down. Now that the LIN-Q has begun to enter the market and become available, I think a lot of golfers are going to fund themselves really impressed with the stable feeling this shaft offers. It is all the benefit of having a bit of extra stiffness, without the feeling like swinging rebar.

LINQ.jpg

I posted that I was playing yesterday, which was my 7th round with the LIN-Q Gunmetal 7F4 and the Cobra KING SpeedZone. I mentioned it before, but I am playing the tour length setup with 14/6 weights, heavier tot he front.

So far, dispersion has been much tighter and I am keeping the ball in play. Since I have been using this setup, I have developed a baby fade which has been super predictable and playable. In my round yesterday, I hit 10/12 fairways when I had the driver in my hand (I played a 3W on a short par 4 with water at 210), including 6/6 on the back 9. Distance has been huge, especially for me with a good but not great swing and ball speed. I thought that the LIN-Q Gunmetal was going to be way too much shaft for me going into the fitting, but it turns out it is just the right amount stiff and stability.

Like @Tevenor, I found that when I was too aggressive on a swing I would have club face fly open, causing a slice. With the LIN-Q, I have been much more consistent with the face being square at impact. I still come over the top a bit, which is why I have this baby fade going on, but the most important part is that I am seeing consistent results when I put a good swing down. Now that the LIN-Q has begun to enter the market and become available, I think a lot of golfers are going to fund themselves really impressed with the stable feeling this shaft offers. It is all the benefit of having a bit of extra stiffness, without the feeling like swinging rebar.

View attachment 8932555
Looks like you need some serious carry distance to cover that water. I bet the LINQ was up to the task :LOL:

Thanks for the reply’s on the shaft comparison’s. Both the gun metal and purple sound great and I should probably try before I buy. The purple based on looks would be what I would choose

Course is open so I am out. 7th round with the LIN-Q Gunmetal today. Thought coming later. Sneak peek: I’m 2/2 fairways so far.
View attachment 8932355

Can you bottle up some 🌞🌞🌞 and send it north! We are in Gray Rain season with no signs of stopping. Nice write up on the shaft and glad you are enjoying it.

Driver was working well again today when my swing wasn’t at its best. 11/14 fairways. Totally impressed with how this shaft has held up to my aggressive transition.
DC67F518-800F-43C0-ACAB-CBF4FDEBD89D.jpeg

Looks like the LIN-Q is finally starting to hit some online retailers and at the price point, its a great option for a lot of people who don't want to spend more on a shaft than the driver itself. I think Ill be adding one to my 3W.

Looks like the LIN-Q is finally starting to hit some online retailers and at the price point, its a great option for a lot of people who don't want to spend more on a shaft than the driver itself. I think Ill be adding one to my 3W.
Nice. Where did you find it?

I keep telling myself:

But, I don't need another shaft, I don't need another shaft, I don't need another shaft. Do I???

I keep telling myself:

But, I don't need another shaft, I don't need another shaft, I don't need another shaft. Do I???
Golf Works and Rock Bottom are a couple. I think more are coming.

I keep telling myself:

But you need this one. It’s legit!

I played Old Corkscrew today near Naples in Florida. Tough course to be sure. Lots of narrow fairways, and a real premium if you can trust your driver. On the front 9, I struggled with an over the top, face closed hook. I think I hit one good ball off the tee.

In the back 9, I turned it around and got back to hammering the ball off the tee. Played a slight fade again which was reliable, for the most part. I remain impressed that the LIN-Q GM allows me to really drive through the ball aggressively without punishing me with the face flying open. I have never been as confident with a driver as I am right now, and a lot of that has to do with this shaft. It loads nicely and still fires the ball out there without feeling whippy. I went though 5 shafts with my F9 and each was a fight between balancing stiffness with feel. The LIN-Q GM has a great balance of both.

Got to play 9 today and the SZ head and LIN-Q Purple is addictive to hit. Feels so so good. Was hitting it great for the 9 holes. Looks great in the sunshine too as a bonus!

20200402_162219_HDR.jpg

Just dropped a purple into a XXIO X FW.

Back