Been for a fitting and need help!

LukeRic

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All,

It's my first post so take it easy on me!

I've been playing the same irons (TM RAC MB/CB Combo) for over 10 years and after getting back into the game after a few years away feel I need more help... especially in the longer irons!!

Yesterday I went for a fitting with a small British firm who pride themselves on custom build. I asked for the data of the fit but it was deleted apparently!

From what I do know of the figures, my current 7 iron had the following data on the GC2; 120 ball speed, 164 carry, 177 total (not sure how that's getting 13 yards of roll as I have absolute no issues with holding greens), peak height of 33 yards and 6400 spin. It was measured beforehand and is apparently a 34 loft.

The first iron I hit was their surprisngly forgiving MB which returned near on identical figures... despite being 36 loft and 1/2 inch longer. The shaft made no difference... results were all within 100 rpms or 1 yard or so of carry. I was really happy as the added 1/2 inch eliminated my left miss (I'm told this was the reason for it!) and the dispersion was tight.

The fitter however seemed determined to get me gains (which I hadn't really asked for) and put me in the CB version of that iron which then returned 124 ball speed, 177 carry and 191 total, a peak height of 30 yards and a spin of 4800!! The left side was still ruled out but the dispersion was much wider. He then proceeded to recommend that option to me!

I've never been fit for irons before (watched alot of TXG's videos beforehand) and am feeling as though that fit was perhaps not quite optimal. My golfing pals aren't that clued up so I'm coming to you guys for advice... am I right in thinking that?

Thanks,

Luke

Distance gains are what tends to sell clubs, so that recommendation doesn’t really surprise me. It’s a real bummer that they deleted the data and apparently were not listening to what you want. Hopefully you didn’t pay for that fitting (or at least not much)

If you want to find the right set to mirror your current numbers but with more forgiveness, that set will be out there. The iron head will dictate a ton and the shaft will typically just tweak performance and find the right feel.

Oh, and welcome!

Welcome to THP! What are your other options for a good fitting?

Distance gains are what tends to sell clubs, so that recommendation doesn’t really surprise me. It’s a real bummer that they deleted the data and apparently were not listening to what you want. Hopefully you didn’t pay for that fitting (or at least not much)

If you want to find the right set to mirror your current numbers but with more forgiveness, that set will be out there. The iron head will dictate a ton and the shaft will typically just tweak performance and find the right feel.

Thanks Molten. The pro shop where I'm a member fit Srixon irons so I'm thinking of trying the z785's blended into the 585 for the 4 & 5 iron. They are very nice looking and you don't get watered down shafts like you get with some other OEMs. None of us mind gaining a few yards but if the trade off means I'm not going to be holding greens then I'd rather have the tighter dispersion!

Welcome to THP! What are your other options for a good fitting?

Thanks Canio. What do you mean by other options? As in places I can go? I've got a brilliant and well respected custom club builder near me called Precision Golf. Might be worth spending the extra on the fit to walk away with the right irons but properly built aswell with the shafts pured etc.

My advice ... Be a customer.

Doesn't sound like you had a good fitting experience, so try something, someone or somewhere else.

Don't buy anything that you aren't 100 percent happy with. And get your data. I'd be tempted to ask for another fit with the same guys just to get the data (which is part of why you went I assume).

But as I said, find someone you trust and keep looking/trying until you do.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

My advice ... Be a customer.

Doesn't sound like you had a good fitting experience, so try something, someone or somewhere else.

Don't buy anything that you aren't 100 percent happy with. And get your data. I'd be tempted to ask for another fit with the same guys just to get the data (which is part of why you went I assume).

But as I said, find someone you trust and keep looking/trying until you do.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Sound advice, Thankyou!

I’m worried I may be overcomplicating it by looking into the detail but my goal is consistency and I want to be confident that I have the right tools for me! Everything else is then just user error!!

I too world rather sacrifice the few yards for better dispersion.. chips and pitches just off the green can be detrimental, GIR means better scores!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I too world rather sacrifice the few yards for better dispersion.. chips and pitches just off the green can be detrimental, GIR means better scores!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

100%!

I've now got a Srixon fitting on Friday with the Head Pro at my club. The last one has put me right off doing business with them!

Back