LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

I really have no idea. I think there is a rule of thumb for how much 1" tipping will stiffen a shaft, but my guess is this is just not the right profile for my swing, but I will see what Oly has to say about it. I hit about 50 balls today between the TPOC/M5, Tensei/M5 and HZRDUS/EFSZ and only hit about 2 to 3 fades with any of those, no slices just fades. I absolutely could not stop hitting fades and slices with this shaft. When I slowed down and tried to swing smooth I hit a nice easy fade that seemed to be low spin, but I can't stay smooth :) 23andme says slow and smooth is not in my DNA.

Just to chime in here. Generally tip trimming will stiffen a shaft about 2-3 cycles per 1/2 tip trim. Thus, a 1" trim stiffens a shaft about 5 cycles which is about 1/3 of a full flex. Tip trimming also marginally stiffens the tip (2-3 mm per 1/2 inch) and lowers shaft torque (a tenth of a degree or so).

In this case, H8tobogie, I think you nailed it right on the head. The TPOC and OLYSS are very different animals performance wise even though the stiffness, both tip and butt, are very similar. The tooling used and overall construction differences (taper profile vs. large body parallel butt profile) make these react differently to certain loading conditions. The OLYSS is best suited for those with smoother transition and loading, while the TPOC being significantly stiffer in the hands will work well for aggressive transitions and loading/release. It is a very, very good point that you not only need to match a shaft to your swing speed/ball speed, but also to your overall swing 'DNA'.

I followed up with Oly regarding what I saw at the range yesterday with the OLYSS, and like a champ, he got right back to me. Here are his comments:

"It doesn’t surprise me that both of those shafts don’t work for you. They are very different animals, and if you load hard, or have a quick transition/tempo, than the OLYSS wouldn’t be the shaft for you. Because it has a straight taper profile along the full length, it bends, loads, and releases fairly equally along the shaft and you will definitely feel more head movement. Also, the taper design makes it more difficult to provide exceptionally low torque, which with your swing, is most likely why you had trouble squaring the head.

That being said, it’s great to hear that the TPOC is working. I designed it specifically to compete with the likes of the Tensei Orange and stiffer Hzrdus products. The wide body, long parallel butt design makes the shaft very stable in the butt half. So, you should feel much less shaft motion in your hands. This type of design also allows for better torque control. The TPOC is about ½ degree lower in torque than the OLYSS at the same weight. The softness you describe feeling in the TPOC could be attributed to the Zylon weave material. That material is added to damp high frequency vibration for a better feel.

In general, I believe the OLYSS will work best for smooth tempos and transitions, while the TPOC (and the Bryson Shaft) are for those that go at the ball hard from the top."

Here are the technical specs for this shaft in 70g TX flex:

Weight – 77 grams
Torque – 2.9 degrees
Frequency – 273 cpm
Tip Stiffness – 95 mm (mid-stiff)
Tip O.D. – 0.335 (3.0 inch parallel)
Butt O.D. – 0.635 (tapered)
Balance Point – 21.0 inches from butt end (46% - slightly counterbalanced)

...and for those interested, here are the tech specs for the TPOC shaft, which will get updated in the other thread:

Weight – 78 grams
Torque – 2.5 degrees
Frequency – 275 cpm
Tip Stiffness – 92 mm (mid-stiff to stiff)
Butt O.D. – 0.610 (Parallel)
Balance Point – 21.2 inches from butt end (47% - slightly counterbalanced)

I found it interesting that the two shaft are so close in frequency and yet performed so different for me that I would have NEVER guessed that.

Last edited:
Cool the shop took care of you and got you a normal swingweight.

Yes, the couterbalance will lower swingweight on a standard head, but allows for heavier heads to be swingweighted normally without adding dead weight to the grip end. I am only guessing, but I assume quite a few tour players use hotmelt, etc and end up with heavier heads.

Oh, I paid for weight. It was just a nice coincidence that he had one available.
Yeah, I email John and it was nice to know I was on the right track.

I cannot wait for my first range session!!

BTW. John is gaming an F9 in an OLYSS shaft as well. :cool:

I followed up with Oly regarding what I saw at the range yesterday with the OLYSS, and like a champ, he got right back to me. Here are his comments:

"It doesn’t surprise me that both of those shafts don’t work for you. They are very different animals, and if you load hard, or have a quick transition/tempo, than the OLYSS wouldn’t be the shaft for you. Because it has a straight taper profile along the full length, it bends, loads, and releases fairly equally along the shaft and you will definitely feel more head movement. Also, the taper design makes it more difficult to provide exceptionally low torque, which with your swing, is most likely why you had trouble squaring the head.

That being said, it’s great to hear that the TPOC is working. I designed it specifically to compete with the likes of the Tensei Orange and stiffer Hzrdus products. The wide body, long parallel butt design makes the shaft very stable in the butt half. So, you should feel much less shaft motion in your hands. This type of design also allows for better torque control. The TPOC is about ½ degree lower in torque than the OLYSS at the same weight. The softness you describe feeling in the TPOC could be attributed to the Zylon weave material. That material is added to damp high frequency vibration for a better feel.

In general, I believe the OLYSS will work best for smooth tempos and transitions, while the TPOC (and the Bryson Shaft) are for those that go at the ball hard from the top."

Here are the technical specs for this shaft in 70g TX flex:

Weight – 67 grams
Torque – 2.9 degrees
Frequency – 273 cpm
Tip Stiffness – 95 mm (mid-stiff)
Butt O.D. – 0.635 (tapered)
Balance Point – 21.0 inches from butt end (46% - slightly counterbalanced)

...and for those interested, here are the tech specs for the TPOC shaft, which will get updated in the other thread:

Weight – 78 grams
Torque – 2.5 degrees
Frequency – 275 cpm
Tip Stiffness – 92 mm (mid-stiff to stiff)
Butt O.D. – 0.610 (Parallel)
Balance Point – 21.2 inches from butt end (47% - slightly counterbalanced)

I found it interesting that the two shaft are so close in frequency and yet performed so different for me that I would have NEVER guessed that.

Sorry, I goofed on the specs I sent you. The OLYSS is 77 grams, not 67 grams. My bad!

Sorry, I goofed on the specs I sent you. The OLYSS is 77 grams, not 67 grams. My bad!

No worries, I will update that in the original post. Thanks for chiming in!

Butt trimming tonight, I am a but worried about the smoother transition vs aggressive as I’m generally in the aggressive camp.

Either way, a lot of golf next week to put the shaft through it’s paces

Butt trimming tonight, I am a but worried about the smoother transition vs aggressive as I’m generally in the aggressive camp.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Are you hitting tomorrow or playing this weekend?

Butt trimming tonight, I am a but worried about the smoother transition vs aggressive as I’m generally in the OTT camp.

FIFY :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I was hoping to have some launch monitor data and I did go hit it on an LM.
The feel of this shaft is very smooth which I really enjoy!
I don't have an aggressive transition but this shaft didn't feel board-y to me.

My problem comes with a lot of my shots leaking to the right.
I couldn't turn this club over for the life of me until I realized it wasn't the shaft or the head.
I had somehow bought a midsize grip and didn't check when I put it on. :banghead:
Correct size grip is now on and I'll at least see how it works on the course tomorrow!

2a5d6a3f70c6def2d495fe766a216c85.jpg

69331dc0bab9438723256f2c6b572080.jpg

45” installed (same as my helium) 1/2 longer than my smoke and Tensei Blue

SW was D6 when I put it straight in, same as Helium swapped some weights and locations around and now have both at D4 SW

Monday can’t come soon enough

2a5d6a3f70c6def2d495fe766a216c85.jpg

69331dc0bab9438723256f2c6b572080.jpg

45” installed (same as my helium) 1/2 longer than my smoke and Tensei Blue

SW was D6 when I put it straight in, same as Helium swapped some weights and locations around and now have both at D4 SW

Monday can’t come soon enough

Damn, that is a fine looking shaft.

Damn, that is a fine looking shaft.

Sooo good at address - can’t wait to hit it

My win today was installing the adapter at my desired loft so the logo sits down perfectly and the “Prototype”
Lettering is front and center should be a good convo starter.

More pics

c1e2cafe31ed94c8b24868ac7f547858.jpg

d17d06967a964523c275f5b8c6bf4f0a.jpg

My win today was installing the adapter at my desired loft so the logo sits down perfectly and the “Prototype”

More pics

Totally going to copy this pic with my setup. That’s a really cool idea!

Talking about OLYSS

75d476f49be3da8bdd55ff7371c895ce.jpg

More pics

Looks good. Minus the pink head ;)

This shaft looks good with every setup so far. Except, maybe pink ;)

Since Oly and I both agree this shaft does not fit me, I will be passing this one off to @Molten next week and he will be stepping in to review the shaft. This profile should suit him much better. Good luck - hope you guys love it!

Was able to get some swings in with this beaut today. And it is beautiful, with its first appearance being straight black and in the sun I get hit with some copper tones near the graphics. Truly, a piece of art. Now, onto performance. I tipped this 1/2" and played at 45". Compared to my previous gamer, it's a little bit heavier, a wholeeeee lot stiffer (especially towards the tip), but does have some counter-weighting to it which I've just recently gotten a feel for. I really enjoyed a mid launch of this shaft, which I feel is very similar to a Rogue I/O. I don't know much in the way of spin #s, but I didnt see any ballooning whatsoever and it was a very consistent flight to the apex. Overall, I hit 2/4 fairways I used this shaft on in my Epic SZ head (heavy weight forward, S/D settings) and I'm looking forward to more experience with this one.

I’m sad to report that I did not play at a course today that was on Arccos today so no concrete stats. For some reason, I didn’t have my good swing going the first few holes so I was a bit wild. Once I got my swing back, this shaft felt great.

It’s got a very smooth feel and it felt that the timing was right on with my swing.

The best shaft I can compare it to is the Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ in terms of feel. I can feel a slight kick in the middle of the shaft but I always felt in control.

If you’re an aggressive swinger that doesn’t like the feel of a shaft releasing through the swing, this shaft is not for you.

Editing the code of Shafted and Canadan and it will come out next week. Crazy good conversation on shafts and LA Golf.

Shafted;n8875197 said:
Talking "nerd ****" with the THP folks last Friday. And, yes, I made sure I put my Bears mug where it would be in frame!

Looking forward to seeing the video. Oh, and Skol Vikings!

Shafted you got a helluva shaft design

7be9553b9d977c00792d82452e58aa14.jpg

Just a teaser but I also was 60% FIR ‍♂️♂️♂️

radiman;n8875631 said:
Looking forward to seeing the video. Oh, and Skol Vikings!

Vikings?! Well at least you must be a fellow Packer hater. Do I smell a bet for the upcoming season???? Shaft of your choice against your best offer. Bears vs Vikes, whoever has the best record. Let me know if you have the guts.

Best,
Oly

Back