LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

Shafted;n8890645 said:
Alright, the results are in. The version 2 logo was the clear winner, although there was quite a bit of support for version 1. The winner of the drawing for the OLYSS shaft of their choice is MWARD. Contact me and let me know what OLYSS you would like to try. We are making 55 gram (A, R, S), 65 gram (R, S, X, TX), 75 gram (S, X, TX). Also going to throw a second freebie out to PKORF for his suggestion of incorporating the flag element from version 2 into version 1. Great thought and we are working on that version right now. Thanks to all the THP'ers for your votes. Hopefully will have some finalized artwork that I can post soon.

Oly

Wow!!!! Holy crap that’s awesome!! Thanks so much!

Soooo...I need to do some of my own research obviously but here’s what I was fit into @ Carl’s Golf land a year or so ago and still love the fit.

Callaway Epic SZ & Callaway Epic Flash
Graphite Design Tour Ad Di 7x

The other option was a HZRDUS Yellow which I also have but don’t like quite as much. Open to any and all feedback.

Notoriously I’m a low ball flight guy. Have both drivers set to 10.5 and neutral.

Dang it I’m excited to give these a run through their paces against a shaft that I am pretty happy about right now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PKorf;n8890762 said:
Wow!!!! Holy crap that’s awesome!! Thanks so much!

Soooo...I need to do some of my own research obviously but here’s what I was fit into @ Carl’s Golf land a year or so ago and still love the fit.

Callaway Epic SZ & Callaway Epic Flash
Graphite Design Tour Ad Di 7x

The other option was a HZRDUS Yellow which I also have but don’t like quite as much. Open to any and all feedback.

Notoriously I’m a low ball flight guy. Have both drivers set to 10.5 and neutral.

Dang it I’m excited to give these a run through their paces against a shaft that I am pretty happy about right now!!

Is your Tour AD Di 7X tipped trimmed at all??

I’m taken back quite a bit! That’s incredibly awesome of you fellas! I need to do some research but I’ll shoot y’all a message with your recommendations for what would work best for me!

Shafted;n8890870 said:

Negative. Standard length not tipped or trimmed.

Alright I'm not that smart, I need someone with some skill to tell me what I need haha. Current shaft is a straight up custom Even Flow Black 6.5, somewhere in that 70-72g weight. Ball speed is in the high 150's and where the fun begins for you the fitters. Launch is in the mid to high teens, with spin in the low 2000's, sometimes lower than that spin because I just like to really make things frustrating.

Driver head is a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9 degree head. I keep the loft a 9, because at 8 degrees, I feel like I'm going to have issues with too little spin and losing both dispersion and distance.

If you need driver shaft length uninstalled, I can run and check on that real quick for you.

Shafted;n8890870 said:

This is data from over a year ago or more. But same shafts I’m still using. I’d say my swing has changed a bit so my launch angle for the “current” shaft (GD) is probably a bit better.

I should also add that this data was produced in the winter, literally while it was snowing at CarlÂ’s GolfLand. I can guarantee that ball speed, swing speed, spin are all slightly improved now as opposed to then. Sorry for the long winded response but I am honestly really excited to get something to run through itÂ’s paces.
a45f7ffeff58975eab9417e8de6f8338.jpg
dc284501b7a451996e30ef01a207c052.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoa. Very cool guys. Congrats!

PKorf;n8890993 said:
This is data from over a year ago or more. But same shafts I’m still using. I’d say my swing has changed a bit so my launch angle for the “current” shaft (GD) is probably a bit better.

I should also add that this data was produced in the winter, literally while it was snowing at CarlÂ’s GolfLand. I can guarantee that ball speed, swing speed, spin are all slightly improved now as opposed to then. Sorry for the long winded response but I am honestly really excited to get something to run through itÂ’s paces.
a45f7ffeff58975eab9417e8de6f8338.jpg
dc284501b7a451996e30ef01a207c052.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the data, you need to get the ball up a bit higher in launch. Your spin is tough to judge. With both of your current shafts, your spin varies quite a bit, from high 1000's to mid 3000's. Data is always a good thing to have, but I always say look at the ball. To your eyes, what do you see when you feel you've made a good swing, and had center to slightly high/center contact on the clubface? Does it look to be knucklling and falling out of the sky, or ballooning slightly, or does is rise nicely and roll over the top like it should. Your ball speed puts you in an X-flex, probably untipped like you have now. The problem is that compared to the Tour AD Di, the OLYSS is much stiffer in the tip third of the shaft, which typically will reduce launch angle. Your path appears to be flat to slightly negative. A bit flatter with the GDi shaft. Depending on how you judge your average spin to be (too much, too little) a little more loft could help as long as you don't increase spin excessively. Truthfully, I don't know that an OLYSS would be the right shaft for you, but will certainly send you one if you want to give it spin. I have another brand new prototype, code name PTAD, that I am working on. More of a mid/high launch, moderate spin product. If you don't mind being a guinea pig, I could send one of the 75 gram TX flex models in that puppy out for you to try and give me feedback on. You'd truthfully be one of the very first one's to hit this new shaft. Let me know which way you would like to go.

Best,
Oly

PKorf That is freaking awesome information right there!!

Wow. This is some really cool stuff going on in this thread.

Shafted;n8891790 said:
From the data, you need to get the ball up a bit higher in launch. Your spin is tough to judge. With both of your current shafts, your spin varies quite a bit, from high 1000's to mid 3000's. Data is always a good thing to have, but I always say look at the ball. To your eyes, what do you see when you feel you've made a good swing, and had center to slightly high/center contact on the clubface? Does it look to be knucklling and falling out of the sky, or ballooning slightly, or does is rise nicely and roll over the top like it should. Your ball speed puts you in an X-flex, probably untipped like you have now. The problem is that compared to the Tour AD Di, the OLYSS is much stiffer in the tip third of the shaft, which typically will reduce launch angle. Your path appears to be flat to slightly negative. A bit flatter with the GDi shaft. Depending on how you judge your average spin to be (too much, too little) a little more loft could help as long as you don't increase spin excessively. Truthfully, I don't know that an OLYSS would be the right shaft for you, but will certainly send you one if you want to give it spin. I have another brand new prototype, code name PTAD, that I am working on. More of a mid/high launch, moderate spin product. If you don't mind being a guinea pig, I could send one of the 75 gram TX flex models in that puppy out for you to try and give me feedback on. You'd truthfully be one of the very first one's to hit this new shaft. Let me know which way you would like to go.

Best,
Oly

Wow that’s some awesome info. Answering your question about the eye test.....I’ll respond to it this way. When it’s hit well there’s no knuckling. It’s a mid/mid-high ball launch that penetrates and has quite a bit of role. It is a rarity for me to see a ball flight that balloons....ever. However, it’s in there randomly with bad swings I suppose. I would venture to say that I could use a higher ball flight with less spin lol.

From a guinea pig perspective, I am all on board with swinging and testing whatever is thrown at me. I will gladly provide whatever feedback on the forum that is worthy of discussion and be unapologetically honest in my thoughts on all of the options. I guess what’s interesting I. This instance is that I have 2 different. Callaway driver heads that I can throw the shafts in to compare agains my current gamer.

Again, the data above is close to what today’s swing is but not exact. Consider me more than Intrigued to help out with any feed back on the OLYSS in relation to my current gamer and / or PTAD in relation to my current gamer. Just thrilled to have the opportunity one way or the other.

-PKorf

PKorf;n8891859 said:
Wow that’s some awesome info. Answering your question about the eye test.....I’ll respond to it this way. When it’s hit well there’s no knuckling. It’s a mid/mid-high ball launch that penetrates and has quite a bit of role. It is a rarity for me to see a ball flight that balloons....ever. However, it’s in there randomly with bad swings I suppose. I would venture to say that I could use a higher ball flight with less spin lol.

From a guinea pig perspective, I am all on board with swinging and testing whatever is thrown at me. I will gladly provide whatever feedback on the forum that is worthy of discussion and be unapologetically honest in my thoughts on all of the options. I guess what’s interesting I. This instance is that I have 2 different. Callaway driver heads that I can throw the shafts in to compare agains my current gamer.

Again, the data above is close to what today’s swing is but not exact. Consider me more than Intrigued to help out with any feed back on the OLYSS in relation to my current gamer and / or PTAD in relation to my current gamer. Just thrilled to have the opportunity one way or the other.

-PKorf

OK, send me a shipping address and I'll get you the shaft(s). You can send via PM or my email address is Joldenburg@LAGolfShafts.com.

Had one of my best rounds of the year with the driver on Friday. Hit my driver nine times for the round, hit 6 of 9 fairways. Only two "bad swings" snapped one shot left, got a lucky bounce and it was still in play in the rough. Second shot was a push into the woods and got another lucky bounce that kicked out into the fairway (only went 157 yards lol)

See below for dispersion:

13 yards is pretty freaking good. I think my year to date average with the other shafts in 20 yards.

Cobra Connect OLYSS 8.23.19 To Date Performance.GIF

If your game is similar to mine, I would definitely recommend this shaft.

Attachments

• Cobra Connect OLYSS 8.23.19 Dispersion.GIF
    Cobra Connect OLYSS 8.23.19 Dispersion.GIF
    212.1 KB · Views: 0
  • International Round 8.23.19.GIF
    International Round 8.23.19.GIF
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • Best Shot of The Round 8.23.19.GIF
    Best Shot of The Round 8.23.19.GIF
    443.2 KB · Views: 0
Excited to have my shaft in hand within the next several days. Huge thank you to Oly for answering a few questions and helping me narrow down what to choose. Can’t wait to give feedback on this when it comes in!

I put the olyss into play on Wednesday. I haven’t had a chance to get on a launch monitor to test lofting it up, and i played a new course so today’s comments are only qualitative.

I had my B+ swing with me on Wednesday and the olyss didn’t seem to punish me for it. My drives were low launching and ran a decent amount so the total yardage seemed respectable.

I hit 9 of 14 fairways and two misses were fairway bunkers where i got a bit to aggressive on a line to the corner of a dog leg.

Overall, a good day with the shaft where it performed well.

MWard;n8891981 said:
Excited to have my shaft in hand within the next several days. Huge thank you to Oly for answering a few questions and helping me narrow down what to choose. Can’t wait to give feedback on this when it comes in!

Make sure you put a couple extra dabs of Elmer's on there. Don't want the head flying off when you're testing it.

radiman;n8895187 said:
Make sure you put a couple extra dabs of Elmer's on there. Don't want the head flying off when you're testing it.

I just have to grip :)

MWard;n8895204 said:
I just have to grip :)

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Played with a different driver, with a Tensei Blue shaft on Friday - that driver gives me good distance and solid dispersion.

Put the F9 with the OLYSS back in play today - the shaft feels very similar in terms of stability and ball flight (mind you different heads).

The course I played today was pretty tight, so my first few drivers, hit them well, no bad shots, but missed my line by a couple of yards and it was penalized - hit the driver 5 times today and two of the drives were penalized. The third drive was a tough line off the tee and I went straight thru the dogleg.

The other two shots were exactly what I wanted.

The first photo was perhaps one of the best shots I've hit all year with the F9 driver, regardless of shaft.

The second photo was pushed a bit but still a great strike.

I think this shaft is the most accurate shaft for me in the F9 driver this year. I think the Helium might be the longest, but definitely enjoying this combo.

Looking forward to others chiming in here and seeing what they have to say.

Attachments

• photo36761.gif
    photo36761.gif
    424.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo36762.gif
    photo36762.gif
    452.9 KB · Views: 1
Just received notification that a box from UPS was at my door from LAGP!!!

Got home opened it up and found TWO new proto shafts. The OLYSS rsc 65-tx and the TPAD 70-TX!!!!!

Along with the shafts came a sweet little LAGP towel and a couple ball markers! Thanks so much OLY!!!!! @Shafted

Now.....I need 2 “Cally” adapters.....

PKorf;n8898247 said:

Got home opened it up and found TWO new proto shafts. The OLYSS rsc 65-tx and the TPAD 70-TX!!!!!

Along with the shafts came a sweet little LAGP towel and a couple ball markers! Thanks so much OLY!!!!! @Shafted

That's awesome!

PKorf;n8898247 said:

A TPAD 70-TX huh?! Oly is busy creating some new protos I see :)

PKorf;n8898247 said:

Ugh lucky, I get a delivery tomorrow and now I’m quite curious what’s in the box!

MWard;n8898433 said:
Ugh lucky, I get a delivery tomorrow and now I’m quite curious what’s in the box!

Looking forward to seeing what you got and your thoughts

Back