LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

@Shafted just wanted to let you know I am searching hi and low for Callaway shaft adapters. Was told by a few thpers that I should use he oem ones. If I. Any find them soon, I’ll gladly buy aftermarket online. I wanted to make sure I’m not leaving ya hanging. I’m really excited to get them in play, just haven’t found the adapters and have been on the road 2-3 days a week for the last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this face contact is fun. Such a stable shaft.

image.jpg

Best Drive of the weekend - probably the best drive I hit with this combo ever.

Can’t top the distance and accuracy - my playing partner who I play with frequently and over the years was even blown away - so much so he had to hit the driver for himself.

9A644CBF-D62D-4982-8FF7-76699C5BE1AD.png905AAA33-940D-4D91-BDF1-611AF052A657.jpeg

Will be with @Shafted in a few hours. Looking forward to the learning.

Will be with @Shafted in a few hours. Looking forward to the learning.

Looking forward to the content.

Question for Oly - when will the OLYSS be available at retail - I think I need one for my 5W.

It’s crazy to me that I literally just picked up the phone and gave John Oldenburg a call and left him a voicemail to discuss how I should or shouldn’t go about tipping the OLYSS & PTAD shafts he sent me.

The more astounding thing? He called me back within an hour and we chatted for a good 15-20 minutes about my swing, ball flight, current gamer, my process of reviewing these shafts, THP, JB.....as if I’ve known the guy for years. #Crazy Crazy #Crazy

We agreed to install both adapters (Callaway) as is without tipping either and then get the grips installed at my desired current gamer shaft length so as to compare and review all things on a level field. Then, if mods need to be made based on feed back we will move forward from there.

Someone help pick up my jaw from the ground. I’m about to walk into a lunch meeting with some clients lol. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Finally played a few rounds this past weekend BUT it was at a Par 66 course which made it hard to pull the driver.
When I did bring this driver out, it was a dream to swing. This OLYSS shaft feels great through my swing and is very stable with mis-hits.
One shot I had was high on the toe but when I looked at the flight, it was still in play and didn't have much curve either.
I middled two drives (I think I used this club 5 times) and the flight was straight, boring and LOOOOOONG! It's fun to make the longest driver in your group a little jealous. :cool:

I've been really happy with this shaft. The weight and flex are just right for my swing so going to Bryson's proto would be crazy for me.
I also started my Superspeed training again but I think this shaft will keep up with any increases in speed!

Wanted to post the numbers from my fitting a couple of weeks ago. Not ideal, but they are my most current LM numbers.

True Spec Driver Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 1.GIFTrue Spec Driver Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 2.GIF

Been a while since I’ve posted in here, apologies.

Been playing a lot of golf, but Tee game hasn’t been as hot as it had been.

For those following, they know I’ve had a ton of wild success with this at D6 SW

I decided to change it up thisnpast weekend with my struggles - I swapped out the rear 14g weight for a 10g weight and left the front weight at 6g

He’s back!!!

Playing down in FL wasn’t getting roll, but I was out there a good 250 yards on the shots I did hit. Going to roll with this setup the rest of the year and we’ll see what happens.

Wet conditions so I wasn't getting any roll out but I am happy with my fairways stat from this last round I had with this shaft.
Distances were about the same but some were slightly shorter (mishit+ no roll). My smart distance is still at 241 yards.

Before OLYSS:
Left: 31% Middle: 42.9% Right: 26.2%

Latest round:
Left: 35.7% Middle: 57.1% Right: 7.1%

The accuracy has been amazing lately. My ball flight has calmed down significantly and the shaft just feels more stable for my swing.
Most of my misses left were just into the rough on the left side which was still had a good look at the green.

with the reviews coming in over the last few months, I think it is safe to say that LA Golf has a really solid option on their hands.

with the reviews coming in over the last few months, I think it is safe to say that LA Golf has a really solid option on their hands.

True Statement - I think it’s my gamer go forward.

more thoughts this weekend with the D4 SW

True Statement - I think it’s my gamer go forward.

more thoughts this weekend with the D4 SW

I’m in the same boat as you. This shaft will be my gamer for 2020 and beyond. Going to tinker with SW and weight positions in my F9 as well to dial in the numbers. The OLYSS shaft ticks every box for what I want in a shaft.

I want to thank everyone that did some testing on our prototype shafts for the outstanding feedback. Every bit of it, the positive and the negative, will be extremely helpful to us going forward in creating new designs and/or possibly tweaking the existing prototypes. Keep the feedback coming and if any THP'ers ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Look for the OLYSS and Trono (possibly under a different name) to be available through your clubmakers in January.

Best,
Oly

I want to thank everyone that did some testing on our prototype shafts for the outstanding feedback. Every bit of it, the positive and the negative, will be extremely helpful to us going forward in creating new designs and/or possibly tweaking the existing prototypes. Keep the feedback coming and if any THP'ers ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Look for the OLYSS and Trono (possibly under a different name) to be available through your clubmakers in January.

Best,
Oly

Appreciate your accessibility during the process.

Thanks for making an amazing shaft as well. Looking forward to getting another one of the OLYSS shafts for my 3/5W from TPC.

D4 SW is here to stay.

6 Strikes
One hook and one push fade

4 Absolutely MASHED bombs in cold temps.

Great mid/mid high ball flight fantastic control and dispersion absolute weapon.

@mpeterson and @Scarnici had a front row seat and might be able to chime in

Time to get some of my month long thoughts flowing in this thread.

When discussing this shaft option with @Shafted based on some prior swing data i provided him and my current ball flight characteristics, neither of us truly felt this shaft would be a great fit. Its geared towards my swing speed or above but I chronically am a low ball hitter. With that being said, this season fro me was all about trying to bring the ball up. Longer airtime and thus less spin and hopefully longer drives.

When i put this shaft in my Epic Flash i noticed a weight difference from my previous gamer. (Graphite Design Tour AD Di 7x). This shaft is lighter. I had to get used to that a bit and for the first few days of swinging this shaft and comparing it to the GD, I definitely noticed a lower ball flight coming from this one. HOWEVER....

I didn't abandon the shaft and wanted to really see what it could provide me if i ran it through its paces for a number of weeks. Yes its lighter, which at first i felt as if i was trying to do too much with my swing speed. The best way I can put it is that i felt like the shaft was more stiff while also being lighter. I think i was overswinging a bit and my timing was off. This was more of a swing flaw than a shaft issue. So, being the feel player that i am, i stuck with the shaft and worked on some things at the range. Within about 10-12 days or 3-4 range sessions i found a dramatic difference in the way the shaft was responding to my swing and vice versa.

BOMBS. I went from low penetrating ball flights to mid flight loonnnnnng rolling bombs.

One thing i dont think i can stress enough about this OLYSS shaft is that I dont feel like I can overpower it. It is extremely stable through my entire swing but especially on my downswing and through impact. Over the course of the last month I feel like I have hit more fairways than I did the previous two months combined. I DEFINITELY am not losing anything left anymore and If i do, its due to a bad swing path. It honestly just doesnt and hasnt happened. On that note, lets talk about the other miss. Right....or a slice. I am a draw player. Give me a 4-8yd draw on every drive and ill love it. I had some initial fears of losing the ball right with this shaft just ue to its profile. I havent hit a single slice since putting it in the head. Ive hit a few massive blocks....lol. But i have hit zero slices. In fact ive even started to enjoy the stability of the shaft so much that its allowed me to start working on a baby cut that when hit correctly rolls out to about 275-280 and what i feel is about 85% strength. Call me crazy but thats just not a shot I have ever tried to hit let alone have any type of confidence in.

@Shafted very cool to see Dufner playing this in his F9 Speedback - #TourValidation

Prior putting the olyss in play for basically the last month and a half, I figured i would be swapping it out pretty quickly for my gamer based on our conversations. That just hasnt happened as i developed so much confidence in this setup that its hard for me to even think about going back to my GD at this point. I played that GD for the last 4-5 years and have loved every minute of it. But, there were time when I felt I could be getting more out of it and mitigating my losses left.

I still have some work to do with the other PROTO shaft @Shafted sent me and I am planning on hitting a track man in the coming weeks now that the golf season is coming to a sudden crashing halt up here. Once I get those physical stats a data from not only the OLYSS but also my Graphite Design and other LAGP Proto I will be sharing with everyone the results and letting the community and OLY decide what makes the most sense. Ive basically went with the "hot hand" over the last month and a half and its bee a fun ride thus far.

Thanks for the opportunity to try these out again LAGP & THP! .....lots more to come.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE OLYSS......please ask away.

@Shafted very cool to see Dufner playing this in his F9 Speedback - #TourValidation
Yep, Jason was the very first person on tour to put the OLYSS in play. Just read that he signed on with Cobra for the whole bag. He's a great guy and he is joining a great organization over at Cobra. Go Duff!!!

hey @Shafted any thoughts on my OLYSS experience so far based on our previous conversations? details above i

hey @Shafted any thoughts on my OLYSS experience so far based on our previous conversations? details above i
I think I remember from our phone discussion that we thought the OLYSS might give a lower ball flight due to the fact that the EI curves for the OLYSS versus the Tour AD Di show the OLYSS to be significantly stiffer in tip third of the shaft. Obviously that hasn't turned out to be the case. The construction of the OLYSS is significantly different than the Tour AD Di in that it is a constant taper design. The exterior O.D. of the shaft tapers at a constant rate from the very butt end of the shaft to within 3" of the tip where it becomes parallel to facilitate hosel fit. The Tour AD Di is a parallel butt product that doesn't begin to taper significantly until 10-12+ inches from the butt end. Because of the way you load the shaft, you may be experiencing additional bending in the top half (butt half) with the OLYSS which could account for the higher launch. The Tour AD Di is listed as a mid launch product, while I consider the OLYSS a mid/low product. But, the significant difference in construction along with the fact that no two swings are alike, mean that these general launch descriptions or labels will not be true for everyone. When I describe a shaft in a certain way with respect to launch, I am speaking in general terms, not finite terms. Which means that the launch 'label' given to any shaft by me or any of my competitors will be correct maybe 75-80% of the time. That in a nutshell is why fitting is so important. You cannot really know 100% how a shaft will perform for your particular swing until you test it.

All that being said, I am glad the OLYSS is working well for you. I'll be very interested to hear how the other prototype performs when you have a chance to try it out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Oly

Back