LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

This was from a press release Oly has put out recently with regard to the OLYSS and the TPOC, which is reviewed under the Bryson model shaft thread.

"Right now Jason Duffner and Roberto Diaz are playing the OLYSS 65 Tour X. For some stat info, last year, before putting the OLYSS in play, Duffner was 74th in driving accuracy, with the OLYSS he has moved up to 37th. Diaz was 77th in driving accuracy before putting the OLYSS in play and is now 28th, at the same time he has increased his average driving distance marginally.

We don’t have anyone on tour currently using the TPOC. Pat Perez played it at The Wells Fargo, and finished T8, but there was a problem with the head and he switched back out of it when they moved him into a new head.

We do expect to get more players into both models once it is approved by the Titleist tour department. Titleist requires qualification testing prior to allowing anyone to use a specific shaft in one of their heads on tour. We are currently in the testing queue and expect to be qualified by the end of the month.

Both of the shafts are made for a mid/low flight with low spin. As is explained in the attached write ups, the biggest difference is the tooling that the shafts are built on. The OLYSS is a straight taper product. This type of construction tends to give a smoother feel and more gradual load and release. The TPOC is a product with a large and long parallel butt section, that provides a crisper feel at impact and less perceptible motion during load and release. I would expect the TPOC to be slightly lower launch than the OLYSS (for most players)."

Interesting that there was a problem with Pat Perez's head...hmmm!?

Pre-OLYSS performance: Currently on Arccos, my driving handicap is 13.1. Below is some screen grabs from my driving stats.

862227590064b85119c62e7b823458e5.jpg

Smart distance for me right now is 241 yards (bad internet golfer). This has been on the uptrend since some swing tweaks and speed training.

935c91f1fb2cadb5e412fafcbedd5972.jpg

My accuracy is currently 42.9% in fairway. I haven’t checked these stats in a while so this was nice to see. Hearing about 20% increases in accuracy sounds GOOD to me!

First round with the shaft in play (and a new head) will be this Saturday! Hopefully I can grab some numbers on the launch monitor on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent this evening exchanging emails with Oly about trim instructions for the shaft based on on my gamer and current numbers

Swing speed is 100-105

Spin with driver is usually 2,000-2,500

Launch Angle is 9-14

He recommended not tip trimming at all and cutting to length

I’ll get up tomorrow and do the club work planning on having this play at 45” in the Cobra F9

Going to be installing an Optifit on both LAGP shafts for an outing this weekend and throwing a grip on to play 45" installed. Excited to get them out and see how they compare.

Well I made to my club to give these shafts a go only to discover the range is closed until 11:00am for weekly maintenance. 11:00 freaking a.m. when temps are 98 deg!

So on to plan B...

I wanna get my hands on one of these! They sound perfect. Looking forward to seeing everyone's numbers.

I wanna get my hands on one of these! They sound perfect. Looking forward to seeing everyone's numbers.

Whatever happens in this review I will say we are really lucky to try these shafts out. John is well known in the industry and has made some fantastic shafts in the past.

Whatever happens in this review I will say we are really lucky to try these shafts out. John is well known in the industry and has made some fantastic shafts in the past.

Yes and he has a clean slate to do whatever he wants. Will be fun to work with him to get these tweaked for retail.

I asked John for some specs and he definitely didn’t disappoint!

e55c07d5ea69e2d41eabc3ff30779d3b.jpg

It’s interesting to see this is a slightly counterbalanced shaft. These numbers land around the shafts I’ve really enjoyed swinging lately. Just makes me more excited to swing this prototype.

What did you guys do for tip trimming?
I'm debating that very topic right now. I wont tip trim the Bryson model, per Oly's recommendation. But I want to see what this shaft will do without how it would be normally plugged in. Being that it's slightly counter balanced, I'm thinking maybe just straight in and butt trimmed to playing length.

I'm debating that very topic right now. I wont tip trim the Bryson model, per Oly's recommendation. But I want to see what this shaft will do without how it would be normally plugged in. Being that it's slightly counter balanced, I'm thinking maybe just straight in and butt trimmed to playing length.

He recommended for me coming from the helium that wasn’t tip trimmed to go right in with it

What did you guys do for tip trimming?

I plan on going straight in with it. It’s been my plan since we found out about the profiles of these shafts.

He recommended for me coming from the helium that wasn’t tip trimmed to go right in with it
And I wanted to tip trim my helium...so maybe I need to consider at least a half inch or so.

LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

6bf40188c374dc1f82a9cbba53f54eba.jpg

0e8fc63a5f7889977d29b843e2c52ae7.jpg

I have hit about ten balls with the TPOC proto in the M5 and love the feel. I thought it would be very stiff and boardy but not at all.

Now onto the OLYSS Proto...

Last edited:
Shaft is curing now.

Butt trim tomorrow and golf next week

Wooooooooo

I will come back with details but in short I found the OLYSS to be quite soft. Very soft in fact. The shaft is lively and has a smooth feel, but I can firmly say this one is not for me. I went back and forth with the OLYSS and the HZRDUS Smoke and I was having a great day with the Smoke shaft. I was also hitting the other proto- the TPOC - and the Tensei Pro Orange in my M5 and was killing this club in either combo.

The TPOC will get a full review in he Bryson Proto Shaft thread, but if I were playing tomorrow, I’d be gaming the TPOC M5 combo. Loved it.

Last edited:
What do you mean too soft? Dispersion/flex? Etc

What do you mean too soft? Dispersion/flex? Etc

Yes/yes. I was simply unable to square the club up. The best way I can describe it, is it felt like the shaft was still bent and the head was lagging open as I got to the ball. The result was high fades and slices that seemed to have too much spin. I had three other shaft head combos today and was hitting them all very well. Even my HZRDUS Smoke, which seems a little soft to me at times, was performing quite well. I think this shaft is more for a smooth tempo swinger of the club, who has a less aggressive transition and release. I am following up with Oly on my observations and will post his thoughts. I am also going to get some launch monitor numbers sometime over the next week with this vs the Smoke shaft in the Epic flash SZ. A more detailed review will follow with some color commentary on my swing, etc.

I will come back with details but in short I found the OLYSS to be quite soft. Very soft in fact. The shaft is lively and has a smooth feel, but I can firmly say this one is not for me. I went back and forth with the OLYSS and the HZRDUS Smoke and I was having a great day with the Smoke shaft. I was also hitting the other proto- the TPOC - and the Tensei Pro Orange in my M5 and was killing this club in either combo.

The TPOC will get a full review in he Bryson Proto Shaft thread, but if I were playing tomorrow, I’d be gaming the TPOC M5 combo. Loved it.

Thanks for the feedback. Was this one installed straight in or tipped at all?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got my adapter on and epoxy curing! Hoping to get the grip on tomorrow and then some LM numbers on Friday!

Thanks for the feedback. Was this one installed straight in or tipped at all?

Straight in.

Straight in.
I'm no fitting expert, so this may be a dumb question. But, do you think the feel and performance could have been tightened up by tipping it an inch or so? Or, is the overall profile just not a great fit so far?

I'm no fitting expert, so this may be a dumb question. But, do you think the feel and performance could have been tightened up by tipping it an inch or so? Or, is the overall profile just not a great fit so far?

I really have no idea. I think there is a rule of thumb for how much 1" tipping will stiffen a shaft, but my guess is this is just not the right profile for my swing, but I will see what Oly has to say about it. I hit about 50 balls today between the TPOC/M5, Tensei/M5 and HZRDUS/EFSZ and only hit about 2 to 3 fades with any of those, no slices just fades. I absolutely could not stop hitting fades and slices with this shaft. When I slowed down and tried to swing smooth I hit a nice easy fade that seemed to be low spin, but I can't stay smooth :) 23andme says slow and smooth is not in my DNA.

So this shaft is almost a counterbalance shaft and today I cut down this OLYSS shaft and added a grip.
The length looks to be around 45.125" (*shrug* it was meant to be 45.25") but the SW was measuring around C7.
The shop luckily had a 10g weight available which got it back to D2.

Is this the purpose of a counterbalance shaft? Allow for heavier heads but keep swing weights in a "normal" area?
I guess I'll try 14/2 and 14/10 combinations to see what will work the best for me.

So this shaft is almost a counterbalance shaft and today I cut down this OLYSS shaft and added a grip.
The length looks to be around 45.125" (*shrug* it was meant to be 45.25") but the SW was measuring around C7.
The shop luckily had a 10g weight available which got it back to D2.

Is this the purpose of a counterbalance shaft? Allow for heavier heads but keep swing weights in a "normal" area?
I guess I'll try 14/2 and 14/10 combinations to see what will work the best for me.

Cool the shop took care of you and got you a normal swingweight.

Yes, the couterbalance will lower swingweight on a standard head, but allows for heavier heads to be swingweighted normally without adding dead weight to the grip end. I am only guessing, but I assume quite a few tour players use hotmelt, etc and end up with heavier heads.

Back