LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

JayB;n8881960 said:
My clubs have finally returned from Ireland! I pick them up today. With my driver head now back i can finally begin testing this beautiful shaft.

Stay tuned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I built up the club tonight. I went with the 65g stiff. I tipped it 1/2” and butt trimmed 2-3/8” so that it matches the fubuki v60s that I was fit into last year.

I built it with “prototype” label up. The graphics subtle and awesome. I will be testing my Rogue head on it.

I believe I will have tomorrow night to get on a sim at Play-A-Round golf and get some comparison data. Until then, a build pic.

b4ebe6b3a18db19d4f086145b5ca278a.jpg

Overview:

I've gamed the OLYSS 65g S shaft for 4 rounds now. The shaft(s) that I was playing before were the Project X Smoke 6.0 (Tour Length 44.5") and the UST Helium 5F4 45"

I have this Proto shaft playing at the 45" as well.

My gamer ball for the test rounds has been a 2018 Chromesoft Truvis Ball (one of the Helium shafted rounds was with the CSX Diamond TT which inflates the distance)

The two photos below are the 20 shots with the F9 18g weight back and 6g forward as a baseline test.

Cobra Connect Driver 8.7-8.17 1.GIFCobra Connect Driver 8.7-8.17 2.GIF

Looks:

The looks of the shaft are fantastic. The LA Golf Shafts logo pops and the mathematical equations are nice details as well.

The lettering for Prototype with the woven pattern underneath is fantastic.

Held for address picture

Feel:

The feel is great, it is not as stiff from tip/mid section/ butt as the Smoke felt

With the Helium I feel the pop at the tip on impact, but I can feel the counterbalancing when comparing it to this shaft, it's not a bad thing, I've come to appreciate the kick

This shaft is smooth, I think that's the best way for me to describe it on well struck shots.

Data and Details:

Below are my numbers (35 shots) 4 rounds with this shaft in the driver.

The first round I played it with the 14g weight back and 6 gram weight forward - it was my best round with it.

I get better launch and carry distance with the 18g weight back though, definitely something to still tinker with - the 18g weight back was pretty successful for me with both the Helilum and Smoke shafts

My longest drive hit with the F9 and any shaft was this one 306 yards 8 yards longer than either the Smoke or the Helium

My FIR is more accurate with the OLYSS still pretty close though, my dispersion is tighter with the Helium though 18 yards vs 22 yards in the OLYSS

My next few rounds with the OLY SS (the next three days I will be golfing) I will try it with the 14g setup

My first round out with this driver setup I had a 8.5 driving handicap 60% of fairways with the driver, tough to improve on one of the best tee rounds of the year for me.

Cobra Connect OLYSS 8.7-8.17 1.GIFCobra Connect OLYSS 8.7-8.17 2.GIF

JB;n8875821 said:
Well, I wont be able to look at Chicken Biscuit Trubisky as a QB the same again.
Now back to shaft talk and how I need to try the OLYSS soon.
Lol could have had Watson he would have looked good in Chi town getup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Background:

I’m 41, 5’8” and currently playing to an 12 handicap. Last spring I was fitted into a Rogue 10.5 with settings N | +1 on a Mitsubishi Fubuki v60S shaft at swing weight d6. Having seen the consistency and performance gains from that shaft, I was eager to see what John and the LAGP team could do.

First Impressions:
I built the shaft, olyss 65g stiff, up to match my fubuki; tipped ½” and butt trimmed 2-3/8” to playing length and d6 swing weight. For my first impression test, I went to my local Play-a-Round Golf indoor sim location using About Golf sims. My experience on their specific sims is that it translates extremely well to the outdoors, so I trust the numbers.

My process was to warm up, and make 5 drives with my gamer and then 5 drives with the olyss to get the first numbers. I feel that more than that and you start to adapt your swing to the club. I had a pretty decent swing working tonight so I think it was a good test of how I would typically play. In my data, the fubuki is referred to simply as my rogue driver. Forgot to rename the club for the shaft.

Swing Away:
My first impression once mounting the head was that the olyss was really beefy. While the same swing weight, the balance felt substantially closer to the grip (again this is feel, not real). First shot though produced quality contact and feel. While not nearly as active feeling during the swing as my Fubuki (and I can’t think of much that is) the contact felt good and more active than the beefy feel from holding it led me to believe.

The Data:
129247fc3bca07e5cee48c2d467b0765.jpg

The first data is of my swings with the olyss; average 96mph club speed, 135 ball speed with a decent grouping and a slight draw bias (yeah Baby!!!!). Launch was bit low and so was my apex at 65’.

371b0b0b9dd28c66724993b959d7deef.jpg

Also above is the table of data for each of these first swings. One of the more interesting observations is that in the first data my slow swings to my fast swings (7mph low to high), I achieved nearly identical launch conditions, just more ball speed. By comparison, on my gamer as my swing speed creeps up, the launch conditions change slightly showing how I am really working the shaft and maybe beginning to overpower it a bit when I really get after it.

Below is the plot comparing these first swings of my gamer fubuki to olyss. First thing to note is that it is a sim so when looking at distance carry is the number of importance, not a computed total distance. Based on this first test, my gamer was producing 10 more yards of carry on average due in part to a higher launch (+1.3deg), a bit more spin (200rpm) at the expense of an ever so slightly bigger grouping.
e1c2d8c58f645bb815213d2fa56a30bc.jpg

Observations;
I hit the olyss for the rest of my session and the continued swings validated my thoughts. As I continued, I found I could swing harder (more aggressive, less smooth, and not necessarily better) and the shaft would not punish those swings as much as with my gamer (which I can overload and spray shots around with when I lose the smooth). All the while swinging the olyss, I felt I couldn’t provide a fast enough (quality) swing to extract the maximum performance from it. I felt like it was taunting me; “swing faster you fat little man, I can take it!” I just couldn’t muster enough horsepower to get the shaft to come alive. This is not a knock on John’s design in any way, rather a recognition that this shaft appears suited to a player with an average swing speed higher than the 96mph I brought to my session today.

Next steps:
Only in sitting down to write this did I realize I should have tried lofting up my rogue another degree to see I could improve the launch and spin without losing ball speed. I’ll try and get some launch monitor time again soon to test this theory. Really though that comes into club fitting, and tonight’s test was really to go apples to apples with my gamer. Hopefully I can get out on the course this weekend where I’ll put it into play. My feeling being that since I can’t overpower it with sloppy late-round swings, I might avoid some of those missed fairways. I’m also eager to se how much roll I really do get out of it.

That is all for tonight.

JayB;n8884414 said:
Observations;
I hit the olyss for the rest of my session and the continued swings validated my thoughts. As I continued, I found I could swing harder (more aggressive, less smooth, and not necessarily better) and the shaft would not punish those swings as much as with my gamer (which I can overload and spray shots around with when I lose the smooth). All the while swinging the olyss, I felt I couldn’t provide a fast enough (quality) swing to extract the maximum performance from it. I felt like it was taunting me; “swing faster you fat little man, I can take it!” I just couldn’t muster enough horsepower to get the shaft to come alive. This is not a knock on John’s design in any way, rather a recognition that this shaft appears suited to a player with an average swing speed higher than the 96mph I brought to my session today.

great thoughts and write-up the humor was great too

Do you think you should have gone with the regular vs the stiff?

OITW;n8884434 said:
great thoughts and write-up the humor was great too

Do you think you should have gone with the regular vs the stiff?

Glad you enjoyed. Can’t write that much without a bit of self deprecating humor.

It is quite possible the “R” flex would be a better fit for me.

JayB;n8884506 said:
Glad you enjoyed. Can’t write that much without a bit of self deprecating humor.

It is quite possible the “R” flex would be a better fit for me.

I like your idea of lofting up your rogue just a bit. I bet your launch and spin might take you past your gamer and with better control.

Nice write up BTW!

OITW;n8882511 said:
Overview:

I've gamed the OLYSS 65g S shaft for 4 rounds now. The shaft(s) that I was playing before were the Project X Smoke 6.0 (Tour Length 44.5") and the UST Helium 5F4 45"

I have this Proto shaft playing at the 45" as well.

My gamer ball for the test rounds has been a 2018 Chromesoft Truvis Ball (one of the Helium shafted rounds was with the CSX Diamond TT which inflates the distance)

The two photos below are the 20 shots with the F9 18g weight back and 6g forward as a baseline test.

Looks:

The looks of the shaft are fantastic. The LA Golf Shafts logo pops and the mathematical equations are nice details as well.

The lettering for Prototype with the woven pattern underneath is fantastic.

Held for address picture

Feel:

The feel is great, it is not as stiff from tip/mid section/ butt as the Smoke felt

With the Helium I feel the pop at the tip on impact, but I can feel the counterbalancing when comparing it to this shaft, it's not a bad thing, I've come to appreciate the kick

This shaft is smooth, I think that's the best way for me to describe it on well struck shots.

Data and Details:

Below are my numbers (35 shots) 4 rounds with this shaft in the driver.

The first round I played it with the 14g weight back and 6 gram weight forward - it was my best round with it.

I get better launch and carry distance with the 18g weight back though, definitely something to still tinker with - the 18g weight back was pretty successful for me with both the Helilum and Smoke shafts

My longest drive hit with the F9 and any shaft was this one 306 yards 8 yards longer than either the Smoke or the Helium

My FIR is more accurate with the OLYSS still pretty close though, my dispersion is tighter with the Helium though 18 yards vs 22 yards in the OLYSS

My next few rounds with the OLY SS (the next three days I will be golfing) I will try it with the 14g setup

My first round out with this driver setup I had a 8.5 driving handicap 60% of fairways with the driver, tough to improve on one of the best tee rounds of the year for me.

jdtox do you see the pics in this post?

Whelp this happened today only 2nd time this year I’ve driven this green

Nice smooth swing great center face contact

Load felt fantastic

95232e2243c9218f4887c13311e28c24.jpg

OITW;n8884774 said:

Load felt fantastic

Well that is fun.

OITW;n8884771 said:
jdtox do you see the pics in this post?

Sure do! Whatever you changed worked.

OITW;n8884774 said:

Load felt fantastic

Nice job! Easy two putt birdies are always nice.

H8tobogie;n8884510 said:
I like your idea of lofting up your rogue just a bit. I bet your launch and spin might take you past your gamer and with better control.

Nice write up BTW!

I’m really ticked i didn’t think about it while i was on the launch monitor. I didn’t really look at the data until i got home because i didn’t want to burn sim rental time staring at screens and i’ve found when i look at sim data while hitting, i get into a chase numbers mode vs just swinging.

I’m sure this will improve the distance. I am also going to ask a regular playing partner to swing this club. He plays like i so, but has a bit more mustard on his swing.

golfinnut;n8887307 said:
Ran into an error while running the video :banghead:

Not sure. Just played it through fine on both youtube and the forum for me. What type of error?

So smoother transition really get’s this shaft and head combo to excel

18 and more thoughts

Nead to check out the video

JB;n8887327 said:
Not sure. Just played it through fine on both youtube and the forum for me. What type of error?

No worries. Ran fine in the other thread.

I put the Olyss into actual play today. As i mentioned in my launch monitor review, launch was hurting me compared to my gamer. The course was a bit soggy today and that lack of launch hurt me today with driver landing short of typical and not running. After 6 holes I switched back to my gamer.

A guy I got paired up with inquired about changing shaft in the round so i filled him in. He was playing a Rogue head with a hzrdous yellow shaft that i didn’t get further details on. I asked him if he would like to test the olyss for the balance of the round and he jumped all over it.

He was a bigger, younger harder swinging guy and he was able to extract more performance out of the olyss than i have been, confirming my prior comments.

Next i will loft up the olyss on a launch monitor and see how the results change.

Fun thoughts so far guys. Enjoyable thread on what appears to be a solid offering

Shafted;n8878725 said:
OK, THP'ers, I'm looking to get a few more votes on the logos, so I am going to sweeten the pot. Whoever votes by the end of next week (Friday, 8/23, noon PDT) will be put into a hat. This includes those that have already voted. The person whose name is pulled from the hat will get to choose the OLYSS Prototype of their choice. Keep the votes coming!!!

Oly

Alright, the results are in. The version 2 logo was the clear winner, although there was quite a bit of support for version 1. The winner of the drawing for the OLYSS shaft of their choice is MWARD. Contact me and let me know what OLYSS you would like to try. We are making 55 gram (A, R, S), 65 gram (R, S, X, TX), 75 gram (S, X, TX). Also going to throw a second freebie out to PKORF for his suggestion of incorporating the flag element from version 2 into version 1. Great thought and we are working on that version right now. Thanks to all the THP'ers for your votes. Hopefully will have some finalized artwork that I can post soon.

Oly

Congrats fellas, very cool!

Looking forward to seeing final artwork

Shafted;n8890645 said:
Alright, the results are in. The version 2 logo was the clear winner, although there was quite a bit of support for version 1. The winner of the drawing for the OLYSS shaft of their choice is MWARD. Contact me and let me know what OLYSS you would like to try. We are making 55 gram (A, R, S), 65 gram (R, S, X, TX), 75 gram (S, X, TX). Also going to throw a second freebie out to PKORF for his suggestion of incorporating the flag element from version 2 into version 1. Great thought and we are working on that version right now. Thanks to all the THP'ers for your votes. Hopefully will have some finalized artwork that I can post soon.

Oly

awesome stuff for MWard and PKorf those guys will do a great job posting up some thoughts in this thread!

Shafted;n8890645 said:

Oly

Awesome stuff Oly! Thanks for your support of THP.

Back