LA Golf Bryson Proto Shaft

Maybe it's been mentioned already by Shafted But, I was wondering if there was any sort of target date for these to hit retail?

Got another round in today and one scheduled for tomorrow. Will get some info posted up here tomorrow afternoon as I get a chance to look at my GG data.

Have to say though so far I’m loving this thing.

jlew2144;n8896566 said:
Got another round in today and one scheduled for tomorrow. Will get some info posted up here tomorrow afternoon as I get a chance to look at my GG data.

Have to say though so far I’m loving this thing.

Looking forward to it. The shaft is so intriguing.

JB;n8896568 said:
Looking forward to it. The shaft is so intriguing.

It’s been really interesting to hit— today’s round I launched a little low so I’m going to loft up a bit tomorrow to see if I can get the launch up a smidge.

radiman;n8895212 said:
Maybe it's been mentioned already by Shafted But, I was wondering if there was any sort of target date for these to hit retail?

Right now, looking at November 1.

Oly

Got to see this shaft in person today as I played a round with tpluff The shaft looks and feels great and definitely lowers the ball flight. I didn't test it out on the course, only the range, but tpluff hit some bombs during the round. I have played quite a few rounds with him over the years and his ball flight was probably the lowest I've seen it in a long time. Low and still penetrating, looks to be a nice option for those who typically hit the ball very high.

Got out for my 2nd round of the weekend today. As I mentioned in my previous post the round yesterday I felt I was launching a bit too low. Straight bullets but they just weren’t going anywhere. So today I decided to add a degree to my F9 and see how things play out. Boy was I impressed with the results. (Full disclosure there were 2 drives omitted from the data below as they clipped a tree on a very tight course and went straight down so the average was lower as a result of those two)

13c7311b6444d3b31cf358bb93db34de.jpg

The left is at 10 degrees, the right was at 9. So for today and the swing I had, it flat out worked.

Here’s where I’m at for the entire year as a comparison

452066b113862784a42917da3586cfa4.jpg

There’s one thing that continues to stand out for me with the 3VD1, and thats I can’t swing hard enough to feel like I’ve lost control. No matter how aggressive I feel like I’m swinging I don’t ever feel like I’ve lost control of the club. With my gamer, I only feel like I can go at it about 75% and then I feel like I lose the head somewhere in the transition. With the proto I’m able “give it all I’ve got” and it translates very, very well.

I let my playing partner take a couple swings today, and he remarked that it definitely felt stiff, but not to the point where it feels terrible. Hit a couple and saw a 3-5 yard difference.

I’ve got an iron fitting tomorrow afternoon, and I’m going to try to get a few swings in with the proto on the launch monitor. I’m not huge on the LM aspect because well, I don’t fully understand most of it, but what I do see is the real world shots I’m hitting. Which feel and look phenomenal to my untrained eye.

Another night in league and another great night driving the ball. I usually don’t pull driver on 3 of the holes we played tonight, but decided to put the 3VD-1 and my swing to the test. The result was 5/7 fairways and great looks at greens, which I couldn’t hit if my life depended upon.

I have to say I’m beyond happy with the performance and stability that I’ve seen from this shaft.

Think Oly and the crew at LAGP have a winner with this one!!

jlew2144;n8899435 said:
Another night in league and another great night driving the ball. I usually don’t pull driver on 3 of the holes we played tonight, but decided to put the 3VD-1 and my swing to the test. The result was 5/7 fairways and great looks at greens, which I couldn’t hit if my life depended upon.

I have to say I’m beyond happy with the performance and stability that I’ve seen from this shaft.

Think Oly and the crew at LAGP have a winner with this one!!

That's awesome. Is it noticeably tighter feeling than the Smoke that is in your signature?

jdtox;n8897234 said:
Got to see this shaft in person today as I played a round with tpluff The shaft looks and feels great and definitely lowers the ball flight. I didn't test it out on the course, only the range, but tpluff hit some bombs during the round. I have played quite a few rounds with him over the years and his ball flight was probably the lowest I've seen it in a long time. Low and still penetrating, looks to be a nice option for those who typically hit the ball very high.

He definitely hit this really well. Really solid fit for his swing. For me, not so much haha. Maybe in a very high lofted driver. Knuckle ball city for me. Was fun to try though.

radiman;n8899798 said:
That's awesome. Is it noticeably tighter feeling than the Smoke that is in your signature?

It's much more stable. As I mentioned a bit in the other post, there's no hesitance in me giving it all I've got. Whereas the smoke I don't feel that at all.

jlew2144;n8899831 said:
It's much more stable. As I mentioned a bit in the other post, there's no hesitance in me giving it all I've got. Whereas the smoke I don't feel that at all.

That is a great feeling. Take timing out of the equation to some extent. Just line up and unleash on it.

radiman;n8899837 said:
That is a great feeling. Take timing out of the equation to some extent. Just line up and unleash on it.

100% true. It's never been something that I've experienced candidly. My miss when doing this, is generally a massive slice 4 fairways over, but I've yet to experience anything like this with the proto. Don't get me wrong, I can still produce an errant shot here or there,it's not a miracle worker.

Received my Bryson proto shaft in the mail yesterday and after realizing my actual epoxy was a solid lump, I decided to take it into a local shop and let them take care of it. I called though to make sure I didn’t have a .335 adapter and a .350 shaft. I found it on the forum in the thread within about 3min, but at the moment, that wasn’t happening.

I spoke with Michael over in their sales department and naturally when asking about a shaft that isn’t out yet, you get a little bit of pause and a lot of bit of questions about where you got it, and then a pretty cool moment of explaining. Either way, I got a call back from none other than John himself confirming it’s a .335, and a bit of back and forth about how much it’s appreciated what the current testers are doing for the OLYSS and the Bryson proto, aka the Trono. She’s tipped, ready for play on Sunday. 44 1/2 playing length for those playing at home!

Attachments

• E22630DC-9EAA-477D-A119-0787A9762D8C.jpeg
    E22630DC-9EAA-477D-A119-0787A9762D8C.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
MWard;n8900210 said:
Received my Bryson proto shaft in the mail yesterday and after realizing my actual epoxy was a solid lump, I decided to take it into a local shop and let them take care of it. I called though to make sure I didn’t have a .335 adapter and a .350 shaft. I found it on the forum in the thread within about 3min, but at the moment, that wasn’t happening.

I spoke with Michael over in their sales department and naturally when asking about a shaft that isn’t out yet, you get a little bit of pause and a lot of bit of questions about where you got it, and then a pretty cool moment of explaining. Either way, I got a call back from none other than John himself confirming it’s a .335, and a bit of back and forth about how much it’s appreciated what the current testers are doing for the OLYSS and the Bryson proto, aka the Trono. She’s tipped, ready for play on Sunday. 44 1/2 playing length for those playing at home!

Looking forward to your feedback. Hope you have as much success with it as I have. She’s a little stout but has treated me well so far!!!

MWard;n8900210 said:

It was great to get a chance to talk to you on the phone. Best of luck with the shaft on Sunday!

Oly

jlew2144;n8900274 said:
Looking forward to your feedback. Hope you have as much success with it as I have. She’s a little stout but has treated me well so far!!!

Stout isn't so much the worry? Trying to get a launch out of the high teens on the other hand..

MWard;n8900284 said:
Stout isn't so much the worry? Trying to get a launch out of the high teens on the other hand..

Haha with my janky swing I don’t have issues with that. Someone with a bit more skill may have problems.....

By the way what head are you putting it in MWard?

jlew2144;n8900333 said:
By the way what head are you putting it in MWard?

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree head. I'll leave it at 9 for now and see how it does and if I need to bump it up to 10 cause it's knocking off too much spin, so be it.

Shafted;n8900277 said:
It was great to get a chance to talk to you on the phone. Best of luck with the shaft on Sunday!

Oly

What's the story behind the Trono name? Just curious. Also, sorry about the Bears loss. If it means anything, I was rooting for a tie :)

MWard;n8900337 said:
Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree head. I'll leave it at 9 for now and see how it does and if I need to bump it up to 10 cause it's knocking off too much spin, so be it.

Did you say you tipped the shaft? I have the 70gram TX untipped in the same head. Launch has been fine and I can get the shaft to kick at times, but she is a beast! Look forward to your feedback. I think the 65gram version will be incredible!

H8tobogie;n8900904 said:
Did you say you tipped the shaft? I have the 70gram TX untipped in the same head. Launch has been fine and I can get the shaft to kick at times, but she is a beast! Look forward to your feedback. I think the 65gram version will be incredible!

Believe it’s untipped. I struggle with too little spin and too much loft.

radiman;n8900821 said:
What's the story behind the Trono name? Just curious. Also, sorry about the Bears loss. If it means anything, I was rooting for a tie :)

I am told 'Trono' is a latin word that means 'Throne'. The name was selected by our COO. If I can ask, what do you THP'ers think of the name and the shaft look. Not too late to pivot if we need to.

Thanks,
Oly

jdtox;n8897234 said:

Finally have a spare second to drop some thoughts on the shaft from my round with Jdtox and Lions81. I told them this was the first shaft I've tried in a long time that helped lower my flight. Lions81 decided to try it on the range and I'm not sure if that ball cleared a 2 story building. So its not just me!

Now, what I experienced over my last 2 rounds was something I didnt expect from this shaft. In other similar profiles from the past, HZRDUS and the like, I really struggled with a terrible 2 way miss, being a snap duck hook or a high nasty slice. Well, all day playing 18 holes, if I wasn't in the fairway, I was darn close. For someone like me who uses speed and distance to show that much consistency speaks volumes. If you've played with me, you know I can hit it a ways, but I do get wayward off the tee. And that consistency I spoke of was not earned through playing much as this was my 1st round playing my own ball this year and only my 4th overall. I am seeing a little shorter distances than I might expect, but I can also attribute that to the lack of playing much at all. Most importantly, I'm not worried about just keeping the ball in play, I'm confident that I can hit the fairway. That's a big step for me.

Speaking specifically on the shaft, its incredibly stable and, at this point, fits me perfectly. Oly described it as "kind of a beast" to me and all I can say is that, so far, it has tamed the beast in my swing. I'm ready for some more action soon to see if the trend continues.

Back