Driver fitting results - Club Champion

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had my driver fitting session yesterday. The best combination for me was a Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 with an Accra fx2.0 shaft. It provided 10 extra yds and tighter dispersion over my current driver - Ping G15 9 degree with an Aldila Serrano R shaft.

But, the new driver cost is somewhere around $900. ������

Clearly the Accra shafts are really good. But, $300 or so for the shaft and $529 for the head seems a bit much.

So 10 yards and maybe one extra FW hit per round would equal maybe 1 stroke per round? Is that worth $900? Maybe for some, not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can gain more than 10 yds by moving up a tee box. ��

That is a lot of money for a club. I couldn’t pull the trigger on that for 10 yards. I can justify the cost of a driver, which is still a lot of dough, but the additional 3 bills would make me puke.

Agree. I also wonder the pricing on the head only. Same price as the same driver with a stock shaft from a golf shop.

Agree. I also wonder the pricing on the head only. Same price as the same driver with a stock shaft from a golf shop.

They will give you the stock shaft upon request if you would like, so you are getting the full driver and your fitted shaft.
Makes me love THP Events even more though :D

They will give you the stock shaft upon request if you would like, so you are getting the full driver and your fitted shaft.
Makes me love THP Events even more though :D

I need to figure out if there is a stock shaft or Callaway custom option that will perform similar to the Accra fx2.0.

i’d be curious to know what cc’d purchase success rate is. how many people get fitted and buy the clubs from cc? pricing of the recommended build is always a topic of conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i’d be curious to know what cc’d purchase success rate is. how many people get fitted and buy the clubs from cc? pricing of the recommended build is always a topic of conversation.

Those would be some interesting numbers. I wonder what the difference of sales are when they have a special rate vs regular rates. I wonder what the close ratio they need to attain to make a profit (per location).

Those would be some interesting numbers. I wonder what the difference of sales are when they have a special rate vs regular rates. I wonder what the close ratio they need to attain to make a profit (per location).

i don’t think each location has the equipment to build the clubs. i think they often have the equipment built elsewhere then shipped to the retailer.

This is why I would like to see the major brands, such as Callaway, TM, Ping, Mizuno, Titleist etc... price and sell their metal wood heads separately.

Did you hit any of the stock shafts? If so which one was closest? I know you can get the evenflow black and rogue silver as no charge upgrades.

I know you can get the evenflow black and rogue silver as no charge upgrades.

As far as I know, all the shafts for which Callaway does not upcharge, are Callaway proprietary shafts. Specifically, Callaway has purchased from the shaft maker its own shaft specifications including , profile characteristics, materials, pricing

As far as I know, all the shafts for which Callaway does not upcharge, are Callaway proprietary shafts. Specifically, Callaway has purchased from the shaft maker its own shaft specifications including , profile characteristics, materials, pricing

This is not correct.

There are and have been some that way, but saying all is incorrect.

Seems to me like there was a flaw in the fitting here. Getting fit into something that doesnt fall within your budget seems like a big miss and benefits nobody.
Was budget discussed at all during the fitting?

I can gain more than 10 yds by moving up a tee box. ��

But rather than do that you decided to book and pay for a full driver fitting to find the best combo for you. Guess you weren’t looking for combo after all.

Seems to me like there was a flaw in the fitting here. Getting fit into something that doesnt fall within your budget seems like a big miss and benefits nobody.
Was budget discussed at all during the fitting?

Definitely think communication was an issue in this equation.

I went in to get fitted and to see how my current driver set up compares. Fortunately, my current driver compares favorably to the optimal combination. We are still looking at stock shafts and upcharge shafts from Callaway to keep the cost down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Driver fitting results - Club Champion

I went in to get fitted and to see how my current driver set up compares. Fortunately, my current driver compares favorably to the optimal combination. We are still looking at stock shafts and upcharge shafts from Callaway to keep the cost down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m guessing you were fit into the 100 series FX2.0?

If you’re looking for a readily available shaft that is similar, PX evenflow max carry in 45/55 5.5 might match.

I had my driver fitting session yesterday. The best combination for me was a Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 with an Accra fx2.0 shaft. It provided 10 extra yds and tighter dispersion over my current driver - Ping G15 9 degree with an Aldila Serrano R shaft.

Clearly the Accra shafts are really good. But, $300 or so for the shaft and $529 for the head seems a bit much.

Ask your Club Champion location if you can source the components yourself and then do the build for you. Some locations will allow that, it's what I have done for some of my clubs in the past. If they let you do that, then wait a couple of months and the Epic Flash drivers will pop on Callaway Preowned for less than the retail price. Buy one of those on there and you can save some money that way. It will be harder to find a deal on the shaft though because Accra only sells through certified fitters such as Club Champion. However, just type in Accra FX 2.0 into Google and go to some of the links. You can find the shaft on its own for $225-250.

CC has to pay their bills somehow, so IMO they do markups on the shafts and also make their money on the labor costs of building the clubs on their own in addition to whatever they make in fitting fees.

I think it was the 200 series not 100. Will verify tomorrow. I need a mid launch not high launch.

Ask your Club Champion location if you can source the components yourself and then do the build for you. Some locations will allow that, it's what I have done for some of my clubs in the past. If they let you do that, then wait a couple of months and the Epic Flash drivers will pop on Callaway Preowned for less than the retail price. Buy one of those on there and you can save some money that way. It will be harder to find a deal on the shaft though because Accra only sells through certified fitters such as Club Champion. However, just type in Accra FX 2.0 into Google and go to some of the links. You can find the shaft on its own for $225-250.

CC has to pay their bills somehow, so IMO they do markups on the shafts and also make their money on the labor costs of building the clubs on their own in addition to whatever they make in fitting fees.
I don't believe actually does their club assembly onsite so I would assume any reputable golf shop could do the build if all the parts were purchased individually. I know TrueSpec doesn't because I believe their club assembly facility is a few miles from my house here in Columbus.

I have been to 3 fitters, 2 national companies in the USA and 1 that has a couple locations but is quite well known and all of them charge for the head on its own, the shaft and also the grip. Never charged for the build, I would assume that was built into the costs for the clubs. But all 3 gave me my data and the options that were used and was never pressured into a sale. You can take those recommendations and find a combo (most likely option to save money is the shaft) and then go look up the stats on your ideal build and find a comparable stock option. Callaway has quite a few no upcharge options so it should be able to be done pretty easily.

Club fitters/builders are for profit companies. So while $900 for a driver is definitely not cheap, the price of the fitting is probably not going to cover the nut for a retail location that has multiple staff members and significant cost invested in equipment (trackman costs what 15k and a GC Quad costs more than that) so they have to mark up the products they sell. Just like every other retail location on the planet earth in any good.

Not saying everyone should go buy that $900 driver, just saying there is reasons behind it and it is your choice as a consumer to buy or not to buy.

What were some of the other options that you tried? Maybe a secondary tested option is more reasonable and still provide improved performance over your previous driver.

Maybe I'm wrong but only getting 10 yards improvement from a G15 to an Epic Flash should probably be gained on just the tech alone. There should be plenty of shafts out there that should meet that or even exceed that.

What were some of the other options that you tried? Maybe a secondary tested option is more reasonable and still provide improved performance over your previous driver.

Maybe I'm wrong but only getting 10 yards improvement from a G15 to an Epic Flash should probably be gained on just the tech alone. There should be plenty of shafts out there that should meet that or even exceed that.

Not necessarily. Dispersion is tighter. But, the distance is similar when hit on the sweet spot. Keep in mind, my current driver is a good fit with launch and spin.

Back