Choosing Your Swing Grips

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely helpful with various types of grips available these days. I myself tend to gravitate towards a grip from the middle group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found where I live has the biggest impact on what grips I like. I enjoyed Lamkin iLines in Arizona because I didn't need a ton of grip and I liked the softness. Now that I call the southland home, I need something with more texture, which makes Tour Velvet much more my flavor. I enjoy the +4 wraps, and I currently have Align grips on my longest 3 clubs because I'm trying to set them up with the most consistency so the align feature of a nice reminder of where to put my right hand.

Excellent video detailing the differences in the different classification of grips. I am in the firm and rough grip camp (right hand set from the video). Prefer the feel and need the cord to assist with moisture management in the very humid climate I play in.

• Admin
I have been in the middle rubber grip camp, but recently found the Golf Pride MicroSuedes, so might be switching the wrap style.

GP MCC+4 The materials, cord, and construction really help with sweat and humidity here in the Southeast. The +4 option gives me a better feel and overall sense of being in more control.

GP MCC+4 The materials, cord, and construction really help with sweat and humidity here in the Southeast. The +4 option gives me a better feel and overall sense of being in more control.

These are my preferred grips as well for the reasons that you have listed. I tried a different grip on a club this year that was a little softer and it felt like I was going to lose the club and fling it. Went back to my old reliable MCC +4 Midsize immediately.

I use the mcc plus 4 as well; been also looking at the tour velvet, but living in heat and humidity; I’m concerned about durability and grip... thoughts?

Nice quick info video!!! Really like the GP in Black/Red and Black/Blue, good feel and never worry about slippage.

Love the full cord type grips!

I haven't played wraps in forever. Last few years its been the middle rubber grips but every time I pickup a club with a MCC on it, for some reason it just feels like home.

I think the most significant factor to performance is the size of the grip. For example, most Tour players have always been very precise is achieving the grip size they prefer, including no warps of tape, several wraps of tape, particular positioning of tape etc...
Grip companies have become aware of Tour player size preferences and in recent years have expanded the range of available sizes, a well as taper profiles. While size can be achieved thru the use of tape, and most Tour players still do that, the "plus and play" sizes offer amateur players a most convenient way to achieve same.
Following grip size, I believe grip weight is most significant. For example, grips range in weight from 30 grams to about 70 grams, which can result in a swing weight change of as much as 8 or 9 points, completely changing the balance of the golf club.
While I appreciate the fact that colors , materials, and texture help sell grips, these factors are not nearly as relevant (to how a grip actually performs for a player) as is grip size and grip weight.

I stick to the middle group primarily, but I'm with JB....those new golf pride wraps are intriguing.

I think the most significant factor to performance is the size of the grip. For example, most Tour players have always been very precise is achieving the grip size they prefer, including no warps of tape, several wraps of tape, particular positioning of tape etc...
Grip companies have become aware of Tour player size preferences and in recent years have expanded the range of available sizes, a well as taper profiles. While size can be achieved thru the use of tape, and most Tour players still do that, the "plus and play" sizes offer amateur players a most convenient way to achieve same.
Following grip size, I believe grip weight is most significant. For example, grips range in weight from 30 grams to about 70 grams, which can result in a swing weight change of as much as 8 or 9 points, completely changing the balance of the golf club.
While I appreciate the fact that colors , materials, and texture help sell grips, these factors are not nearly as relevant (to how a grip actually performs for a player) as is grip size and grip weight.

Im curious if you checked out the video (its not about what performs better, but breaking down the grip categories)?
Since every grip can be available in every size, to completely negate the idea that different offerings CAN improve conditions for individuals based on climate or personal perspiration is something I have not heard before.

I'm super interested in trying the GP milticompound with alignment line. I think that will help me be more consistent with my grip.

I’m really enjoying the middle category. Have really had success and good feel with the Sonar and Sonar Tour. Although, I do like softer grips as well, so could see myself going to the left.

I was a Tour velvet loyalist for a few years I recently bought a hybrid online and its stock grip is a MCC+4. I love it and am switching to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im curious if you checked out the video (its not about what performs better, but breaking down the grip categories)?
Since every grip can be available in every size, to completely negate the idea that different offerings CAN improve conditions for individuals based on climate or personal perspiration is something I have not heard before.

Yes, I watched/listened to the entire video. However, as I wrote in my previous post, factors such as colors, materials, and texture may have some relevance to performance, but not to the extent that do factors such as grip size and grip weight.
As for "climate or personal perspiration"factors, I think that is mostly marketing. If a player keeps his/her grips clean between rounds, uses a towel for his grips and hands while on the golf course, has fundamentally sound grip technique etc... then all grips will perform adequately well, regardless of climate or personal perspiration factors.
Regarding grip size, if someone has a grips that are too small in diameter and, or, have too much taper, that player will likely be prone to applying too much pressure when he/she grips the club, and that is a swing wrecker.
Regarding grip weight, if someone has installed grips that create an extremely heavy (or light) swing weight, his/her clubs will be out of balance and especially difficult with which to make consistently good swings.

Yes, I watched/listened to the entire video. However, as I wrote in my previous post, factors such as colors, materials, and texture may have some relevance to performance, but not to the extent that do factors such as grip size and grip weight.
As for "climate or personal perspiration"factors, I think that is mostly marketing. If a player keeps his/her grips clean between rounds, uses a towel for his grips and hands while on the golf course, has fundamentally sound grip technique etc... then all grips will perform adequately well, regardless of climate or personal perspiration factors.

Now that is a different take. I can safely say that thankfully choices exist, because through thorough testing, I can say we definitely see something dramatically different. Hmmmm.

I will add again, grip size is not really relevant to the conversation since nearly all grips can be available in any size someone needs.

Regarding grip size, if someone has a grips that are too small in diameter and, or, have too much taper, that player will likely be prone to applying too much pressure when he/she grips the club, and that is a swing wrecker.
Regarding grip weight, if someone has installed grips that create an extremely heavy (or light) swing weight, his/her clubs will be out of balance and especially difficult with which to make consistently good swings.

For me, the climate matters a lot. For 20 years until June of 2018, nearly all my golf was played in dry, hot conditions as I lived near Sacramento which in the summer is the driest and sunniest city in the U.S.(actually the sunniest place on earth in June, July, August, September). Golf Pride Tour Wraps worked great as all I had to do was wipe them with a damp towel, and they remained super tacky. I never played in the rain as I didn't play during the winter months. Now that I'm in Minneapolis and also play some in Florida, the Tour Wraps are pretty much worthless in the rain, so I had to go with a grip that is designed to also work in rainy or humid weather. The Sonar Tours from Lamkin are perfect for that and vastly better to play with than the tour wraps when it's raining, or your hands are wet from humidity.

As far as size, I played with standard size grips for 35 years until adding a few layers of tape or midsize the last 5 years. I don't think it would make any difference in my scoring even if half my clubs were standard and half had midsize grips. I have a new hybrid in my bag that has a standard size grip that is also a cord grip(unlike the rest of my clubs) and I hit it just as well and straight as my other clubs that are midsize.

I have been in the middle rubber grip camp, but recently found the Golf Pride MicroSuedes, so might be switching the wrap style.

Those micro suedes really intrigue me. Doesn’t hurt that I love the grey they are in as well, but I think I might be going with those next.

Thank goodness for the choices. I got a wedge from CPO with the MCC grip. It feels too hard and harsh to me, after years of playing with wrap and Crossline-type grips.

My first set of clubs had wrap grips with ribs. I don't prefer the wrap as much these days, but Tour Velvet with Align is high on the list now when my irons need them.

I would play TV if they didn't wear so darn quickly, but I love the full cord/Multi-compound grips for the humidity that seems to constantly exist here. Great video and the floating hands made me laugh thinking we were about to start a cooking show. Good info and breakdown.

Following... been a tour velvet guy for a long time. Time to regrip my irons and 3 wood. Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back