How many people play the same specs in their hybrids and irons?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Basically I mean of you play your irons at +1/2", do you also lengthen your hybrids as well? I know lie angle on hybrids aren't terribly adjustable to an extent but from a length persdpective do you try to keep everything aligned?

My hybrid is 1" longer than my 5i. In the stock lengths there is a 1.5" difference but my irons are 1/2" longer. I'm still trying to work on the gapping to make sure I get an appropriate gain from my 5i to my 4h so I'm not sure of doing a 1/2" extension will help or if I should potentially look at using a similar recoil shaft update over the stock Alta CB.

My hybrid is half inch under, same as everything else. For my gaping it came down to loft more so than length. However, it will depending on what you are trying to achieve and it may be hard to pinpoint just one variable (loft, launch, length). For me it was seeing numbers between my 5i and 5w and fitting a hybrid between that, but still launched high. Then found a combo that worked.

+1/2" from what?

Sets of irons vary by more than 1/2" from model to model in the lengths of the longer clubs. And hybrids vary from brand to brand by an inch or more in a given loft.

My hybrid is half inch under, same as everything else. For my gaping it came down to loft more so than length. However, it will depending on what you are trying to achieve and it may be hard to pinpoint just one variable (loft, launch, length). For me it was seeing numbers between my 5i and 5w and fitting a hybrid between that, but still launched high. Then found a combo that worked.

I'm going to continue to play with that as well since the G410 is adjustable. I'm essentially filling a gap between a 5i and 3h but the the 3h is a Rogue X which is essentially taking the place of a 5w as a distance club for me and I want the 4h to essentially be an iron replacement. I can't certainly loft the G410 down to help fill the gap from a number perspective since it is 4* strictly by the numbers. (5i is 23, 4h is 22, 3h is 18)

I typically do not adjust the length of the hybrids that I play (when I do) but I do with irons. I really have no rhyme or reason for why I don't - maybe I should.

I typically do not adjust the length of the hybrids that I play (when I do) but I do with irons. I really have no rhyme or reason for why I don't - maybe I should.

That's kind of why I asked the question honestly. We talk about iron fittings and getting the specs from that but unless its a full bag setting from Club Champion or a place like that it seems we rarely dive into specs of hybrids and I'm sure most weekend hackers like myself end up playing the stock hybrid shafts. I don't believe I've ever had a hybrid with an upgraded shaft option or even a length adjustment.

It seems common for people to shorten their driver and maybe 3w while lengthening their irons so the hybrids just kind of sit in the middle so it made me curious how people relate them to their irons since they are generally an iron replacement.

I have way more trouble with the typically too-long (factory stock) hybrids than I do too-long drivers. With the ball teed up nice and high a 45-1/2" driver is quite manageable. Some of these hybrids are like 41" or so and you're supposed to hit them off the deck more or less like an iron. Yikes!

I have way more trouble with the typically too-long (factory stock) hybrids than I do too-long drivers. With the ball teed up nice and high a 45-1/2" driver is quite manageable. Some of these hybrids are like 41" or so and you're supposed to hit them off the deck more or less like an iron. Yikes!

From a comparison standpoint, it seems like most 4h lengths fall in the 39 1/2" - 39 3/4" range. A stock length 4i for Ping in the G410/G700 line is 38 7/8" and is 2* weaker loft than the 4i. My Rogue X 3h is 40 1/2" but I consider it more of a 5w replacement which is a stock length of 42 1/2". From a fitting perspective, it was recommended to me to replace the Heavenwood I used to carry for a 3h to get more control from the shorter shaft.

My 4 hybrid is 1" longer than my 5 iron. The 5 iron is 25° loft and 4 hybrid is 22° loft. Gapping works out to 10 yards which is exactly what I am looking for. The 4 hybrid is actually equal in length to the set 4 iron which is 21° loft.

I think I might be the only golfer in the world who doesn't hit hybrids (longer shafts and all) farther than I hit irons. In the longer end of the bag, a good hybrid is easier to hit high and straight than a long iron but I just don't get extra distance on solid strikes.

My current irons are JPX 900 Hot Metal and I hit the 6-iron (27 degrees, 37.25") something like 155 yards and the 5-iron (24 degrees, 37.75") around 165 on average.

My JPX 900 4-hybrid is 22 degrees but I have it adjusted to 23. It is 40" long, more than two inches longer than the 5-iron. Yet I only hit it about 170 yards. Most people I know get far more distance out of a 4-hybrid than they would out of an iron of the same loft. But when I used to carry the 900 HM 4-iron I hit it somewhere around 170-172 yards (admittedly it had 21 degrees of loft).

I often don't even carry the 5-iron lately. It's at most a 15-yard gap between 6-iron and 4-hybrid and I can choke down 2" on the hybrid and hit it about 160. The fact that I hit the 4-hybrid as well or better choked well down tells me it's probably longer than it needs to be.

My old Ping i3+ 3 iron (currently in the closet)
39" long and 20.5° loft
True temper steel shaft

My newer/old Ping Rapture 21° Hybrid
40" long and 21° loft
Aldila VS Proto 80 graphite shaft

Back