Where to Start with Shafts

maxw72

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone, as I'm sure you can all see I'm new here and as I'm not new to golf I'm trying to learn more about the equipment side of golf, which is very new to me. I have grown up with just purchasing clubs from my local golf store but as I've fallen in love with my current clubs (2017 TM M1 Driver/Irons) I have found that I want to fine tune my driver to make it absolutely perfect. To me the place to start would be the shaft. Now from what I have seen everyone here is really awesome with advice and where it is such a huge forum I thought that someone has asked this question before so I searched and searched but couldn't find anything as basic as I was looking for....and guys my question is VERY basic.

Like I said I want to make my M1 "mine". I love the club and I love how it feels. That all being said, I feel as though I'm not as accurate/consistent as I could be with it which I'm wondering if part of the reason, though it may be a small part, is I don't have the right setup. What I currently have as far as shaft goes is just the stock Fujikura shaft the M1's were manufactured with (regular flex). My bag has one outlier from the TM family and it is my 3 wood. Now the 3 wood is what has brought up me questioning my setup as I have the Titleist 917F2 with a ProjectX Evenflow Blue shaft (stiff flex).

Now from what I can gather, where I absolutely LOVE my 3 wood, it is not as easy as just saying "you like how the ProjectX feels, throw a ProjectX on your driver and you should be happy." Where I'm assuming that isn't the case, my question is where do I start with shafts? I know I can go get fitted but as it is something I have never done I assume a fitting will end with them telling me "You need to buy this other driver." Am I wrong on that aspect of fitting or would they actually look into how they could make my current driver work better for me? Would it be possible to just get your current gear fitted or is it more of a case of "go get fitted when you need new gear?" Sorry once again for the very basic question but my game is solid once I get off the tee. Any suggestions or wisdom is greatly appreciated and I will also be taking any advice on shaft choice if you are a miracle worker that can tell me what shaft I need from the very limited info I gave.

Thanks again everyone, I've enjoyed my recent dives into THP while work is slow.

Hey everyone, as I'm sure you can all see I'm new here and as I'm not new to golf I'm trying to learn more about the equipment side of golf, which is very new to me. I have grown up with just purchasing clubs from my local golf store but as I've fallen in love with my current clubs (2017 TM M1 Driver/Irons) I have found that I want to fine tune my driver to make it absolutely perfect. To me the place to start would be the shaft. Now from what I have seen everyone here is really awesome with advice and where it is such a huge forum I thought that someone has asked this question before so I searched and searched but couldn't find anything as basic as I was looking for....and guys my question is VERY basic.

Like I said I want to make my M1 "mine". I love the club and I love how it feels. That all being said, I feel as though I'm not as accurate/consistent as I could be with it which I'm wondering if part of the reason, though it may be a small part, is I don't have the right setup. What I currently have as far as shaft goes is just the stock Fujikura shaft the M1's were manufactured with (regular flex). My bag has one outlier from the TM family and it is my 3 wood. Now the 3 wood is what has brought up me questioning my setup as I have the Titleist 917F2 with a ProjectX Evenflow Blue shaft (stiff flex).

Now from what I can gather, where I absolutely LOVE my 3 wood, it is not as easy as just saying "you like how the ProjectX feels, throw a ProjectX on your driver and you should be happy." Where I'm assuming that isn't the case, my question is where do I start with shafts? I know I can go get fitted but as it is something I have never done I assume a fitting will end with them telling me "You need to buy this other driver." Am I wrong on that aspect of fitting or would they actually look into how they could make my current driver work better for me? Would it be possible to just get your current gear fitted or is it more of a case of "go get fitted when you need new gear?" Sorry once again for the very basic question but my game is solid once I get off the tee. Any suggestions or wisdom is greatly appreciated and I will also be taking any advice on shaft choice if you are a miracle worker that can tell me what shaft I need from the very limited info I gave.

Thanks again everyone, I've enjoyed my recent dives into THP while work is slow.

There are many other folks here far more intelligent than myself with shafts etc. What I can tell you is you can go into a fitter and have them look at your current setup. Just tell them up front, I don’t want a new driver head I want to find the shaft that produces the best numbers for me. They should work with you on it, if not find someplace that will.

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to call around!

I'm one who will say, if you like the shaft in your 3wd, then try it in your driver. It's at least a good starting point. As for me, personally, I usually play a hair softer in my driver than my 3wd/5wd. I have a weird setup now (driver Smoke 6.0, 3wd Rogue Max X, and 5wd Black 6.0) because that's the way I bought my 5wd and I hit it so well, I don't wanna mess with it. If it ever strays, though, I have a Rogue Max X just waiting to go in it to match my 3wd.

Back