Have you Tried Graphite Iron Shafts?

I tried graphite shafts at my iron fitting last year. I fully expected to go graphite. I was looking for lower impact on my body, particularly hands and wrists. But I ended up preferring steel (modus 105) among the limited options I tried. At some point I will re-explore, hopefully in a situation where I can try many more graphite shaft options and flexes. Maybe 2020.

Subscribed... I’m contemplating it. Having issues with my hands and elbows.

Yes. Never going back.

Yes. I've been playing the Recoil SMACWRAP 780 ES for the last two years and I don't think I could ever go back. The pain I would sometimes experience in my elbows went away and I just feel I have a much smoother and more consistent swing now than I ever did with steel.

Switched to graphite in all clubs except putter about 4.5 years ago due to arthritis in my upper arms / shoulders. Absolutely no discomfort in those areas since making the shaft material switch and pushing my bag instead of carrying it. Will never go back to steel.

I have not. If I was going to try them I'd like to be fit. I plan on doing a Club Champion fitting when they go on sale to test out different things and compare to my current set (plus I'd like a putter fitting).

I tried them out due to a index finger and knuckle sprain/injury. Got a set of Cleveland HB irons with the stock graphite shaft in stiff flex. Always used a 105 gm steel shaft in my irons based upon fitting recommendations. My swing has improved and there is no pain in my hand or shoulders at the end of my rounds. I'm 56 and starting to feel it even though I'm a regular in the gym. I would at least go for a fitting and try them out. You will know in short order if they work for you or not. There is nothing I don't like about using these shafts. I'm never going back to steel.

I've made the switch off and on - performance drives my decisions and today's graphite can flat out perform

I have swung graphite irons since 1994. Broke left wrist in 93 and coming back the reduced reverberation on miss hits was essential. I lost 12mph on my swing speed. It was a smiths fracture break. Have watched the shafts improve somewhat. Had great shafts over 20 years ago as Loomis delved into golf from fishing...Have had 6 sets in past 25 years with graphite. Mizunos in bag now.

While talking with a friend of mine and talking with other golfers I've met while playing different golf courses this summer I've run into the same comment a number of times. The comment being "I switched to graphite shafts because after playing a round of golf my shoulders and would be aching from swinging iron shafts." I've had this same problem as the summer moved along. I just bought a set of irons with graphite shafts to see if they would help reduce the ache in my shoulders. After two rounds of golf with these irons I can say that I've experienced no discomfort in my shoulders of any kind. So I consider this a good thing.

I had graphite shafts but didn't consider the weight when ordering them from CPO (ability to fit myself is pitiful). A fitter told me 57 grams is too light for my swing and suggested changing to 115-120 gram shafts. Thankfully, you can get graphite shafts in numerous weight categories. I play a lot of golf and my elbow has been sore for about a month. Moving back to graphite, with the correct weight, could/should eliminate this problem.

Last edited:
I haven't tried them in irons but am curious. I would say the reason I haven't is anyone/store/fitter never suggested I try them.

Yes I tried them a few years ago thanks to THP and UST Mamiya and absolutely love them, especially Recoils.

Yes, I am a graphite shaft user. Started a couple of years ago because of a bad shoulder. I plan on using graphite from now on.

I have not tried graphite shafts...reason I’ve had an unfortunate misconception about them. However more and more each day I’m thinking I need to get fit and give them a try.

I have taken a few swings with them but never a full commit

I think most players from teenage years to about age 65 find their best tempo is achieved using irons shafts ranging from about 105 to 125 grams. At that heavy a weight graphite usually "feels sluggish". At lighter weights, such as 60 to 70 grams, most people agree graphite "feels great, lively, dynamic".
My expectation is that shaft producers such as True Temper and Nippon will continue to offer great feeling and swinging steel iron shafts in the 95 to 120 gram weight range, and for that reason I do not expect graphite iron shafts to become especially popular.

Put a set of Recoils into my last set, prior to that I was steel. For me graphite shafts help with my tennis elbow, plus I don't get any harsh vibrations.

I’ve played graphite shafts - Recoil 110. I liked them a lot. I didn’t see much of a difference in performance/consistency with steel. I’d give them another shot.

JB;n8875703 said:
I got some recent survey results, so wanted to pose the same question to THPers. Have you tried graphite iron shafts? If yes, why? If no, why not?

My first set was a set of Callaway WarBird with graphite shafts in stiff. I'd say wasn't exactly a good fit. So after I got fit, none of the old school fitters around recommended graphite for my swing. I just don't believe that's the case anymore. After the Hogan event where you mentioned the 125 UST recoil, it really intrigued me. I'm not opposed to graphite, I definitely am interested but need to find the right fit.

Recoil smacwrap F4 in my Hogan’s. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have and found them more difficult to control trajectory. I like a heavy shaft(DGX100) and don't see a reason to spend the extra $500 on graphite that has a feel that I'd have to adjust to. I'm not opposed to using them in the future when I start to lose distance.

My first set of clubs 10 years ago had a set of Mitsubishi graphite shafts that were, well, less than great. When I recently got back into golf, I didn’t even consider graphite as an option because of that experience.

Now that I have hit the Catalyst and Recoil shafts, I am back open to the idea of trying a set again, especially because my right elbow is getting more and more sore after more frequent playing.

I have only been fitted for irons once about 2 years ago. Graphite shafts were never presented. I am open to them. I will game whatever makes me better. If I am going to buy an unfitted set on a whim, it would probably be steel, just based on a lack of experience with graphite. If a fitter recommends, I would have no reservation.

Had Recoil 760 in my Big Bertha OS due to rheumatoid arthritis thanks to being selected to test them. Prior to that I had swung the Miyazaki shafts in the Z565 irons. I had the ATMOS OL shafts in the Cobra F9 I owned for a few months and I feel like I'm home again after being fit into Recoil 780 F3 in my G700 irons. Absolutely love them.

Back